Unlimited access >

Where can I get Pentosan?

What’s on RHM is listed as brand name Pentosan/Pentosal Gold but the listed manufacturer is RHM and not Ceva?! I think this is compounded.

I’m going to say that I think it’s compounded but would email the company just to make sure.

It is compounded from Horseprerace, as is what you would get from Wedgewood. Most people probably use the compounded version.

1 Like

That’s fine, but isn’t “Pentosan Gold” a brand name? Shouldn’t that be listed by HPR etc. as “polysulfate sodium and glucosamine” rather than as “Pentosan Gold”? Much like their compounded omeprazole is listed as “omeprazole” rather than as “GastroGard.” I think it’s more than a little misleading the way they’re advertising the product.

As far as I know, none of these internet companies have brand products. At one time HorseMedsOnLine was selling Ceva Pentosan. I ordered it from them ($$$) and it took forever to get here from Australia. Like 6 weeks. Then HorseMedsonLine stopped selling brand. Now if you go to their site, they sell Racehorsemeds. Also, I do not think you get Ceva Pentosan for horses here in the USA (correct me if I’m in error) unless your vet sends a script to Australia. With getting through customs it is not worth it.

I agree with you that neither Racehorsemeds or Horseprerace should use the term Pentosan Gold or Pentosan Platinum.

This last batch I got from Horseprerace is really creating a problem. My horse gets a huge lump within a second after injecting. It starts before I even put out the needle and it lasts a few days. Both sides of my horses neck hair is like 6 shades lighter due to the Pentosan. Fortunately, I’m not showing so it doesn’t matter. However, I don’t think I am going to finish this bottle and just switch to Adequan, even though it is much more expensive and doesn’t work as well.

I feel like a barnmate did, at one time, get actual brand Pentosan from her vet but that was years and years ago now. And I may be misremembering. I tried the compounded version twice. From either Wedgewood or Wicklife. I never saw any real difference in my horses but my barnmate who I previously referenced saw a huge difference. I ended up changing over to Adequan and I did see a huge difference so I stuck with it.

I wouldn’t use HorsePreRace–they are too sketchy!!! My friend’s horse had a terrible reaction–huge hand sized raised hot swelling that took days to go away. I had pentosan gold from the same lot, so I sent it back and they argued with me over replacing it. I had 3 bottles!!! They finally did replace it, but sent me bottles with the batch and lot numbers removed. When I inquired about it, they told me that they did not put them on the bottles anymore. I am now guessing that they sent me back the same bottles I sent in. The first bottle was fine, but my horse had a HUGE reaction to the second bottle–giant swelling that turned into a hanging boob kind of thing and took days to go away. I wrote to them and sent pictures (which I still have if anyone wants to see). They wrote me back and basically told me to stuff it. So I had to stop using it, but I saved the bottles for the FDA. I will only use Adequan and Legend now. The risk isn’t worth it and anyway, no one knows what is actually IN the bottles. There is evidence (an FDA letter) that their omeprazole paste contains less than the stated amount of omeprazole. I doubt their pentosan is what they say it is.

True. Do you feel the Adequan works as well for you as the Pentosan? Honestly, I think I may have imagined the improvement I got on the Pentosan. I mean, it’s not like one has a gimpy horse, gives the shot, and then the horse goes even. No, it’s just that very subtle help or even preventative that we use it for. Thus, I can’t tell what works and what doesn’t. I kept using Pentosan, because I was afraid to stop.

Cowgirl, you own a large horse. Do you give more Adequan that the 5ml (or whatever is the average dose). I was giving my big guy 8ml of the Pentosan. The 6ml is for your average TB.

I have a horse that is on Pent Gold. She was deemed “sound” by our Vet, but was acting out due to pain (my belief). We started her on the Pentosan Gold from PreRace and saw a HUGE difference in the way she went after two weeks of being on it. Her attitude improved by at least 75%. I gave it IV, so there was no reaction (I had read numerous threads on the issues of Pentosan Gold and it does sound like giving it IM is the issue, even though it is labeled safe). In other countries, it is only labeled for IV use, so I’m not sure why we give it IM, when it really wasn’t designed to be given that route. Anyway, I had an Osteo come out to do work on her. She said she can always tell when a horse is on Pent, as there will be discoloration where the injections are given. Since I give IV, there are no marks. My poor horse was SO out of whack. She had a pain in her neck - literally - from her poll being out. The Pentosan Gold helped tremendously, but did not fix the underlying problem. The Vet wants us to keep the horse on it until she does not require work anymore, which should be in the next 1-2 visits. Since this is not a chronic issue, we will be discontinuing the Pentosan Gold once my bottle is empty. I hate wasting things and I do believe the adjunct therapy is helping.

I order coccidiousis meds from HorsePreRace at the direction of our Vet (our livestock Vet, not our horse Vet). The meds have always worked, as we obtain fecals before and after, and the meds are always quite effective. So perhaps I felt a bit more comfortable with the company since I’ve used them for several years with excellent results. My horse improving with the Pentosan Gold was just icing on the cake.

Adequan works better for me than Pentosan Gold. I do an Adequan series every six months and a Legend series every six months, alternating, so that she gets a series of something every three months. I give a Legend shots the day before major events. I was giving Pentosan Gold weekly, and doing an 8ml dose (because Pentosan is definitely supposed to be adjusted for weight) and really didn’t notice much of a difference, BUT I did notice her a little more supple when I used compounded Wedgwood Pentosan prescribed from the vet. I just got too lazy to pursue the prescriptions. Personally, Adequan works the best for my horse, and I do not increase the Adequan dose for my mare (who is much leaner now that she is off all soy products, but probably still 1,500 lbs–I had to have her saddle narrowed!), but use the recommended dose for all horses from Adequan. She definitely gets way more supple by the fourth or fifth shot in the series and stays that way for a few months.

Honestly, I think the biggest difference for her is removing all soy products from her diet and increasing her vitamin e. I believe that soy is inflammatory. For her, it caused her to retain water under her skin so she always looked bloated, then it started causing skin problems, light patches on her neck (that were NOT caused by pentosan because I quit using it for a year and she still got the light patches that were from her rubbing her neck), scratches, dull coat. I removed all soy and started her on a whole food diet, increased her vitamin e for muscle recovery and anti oxidant properties, and gave her a vitamin/mineral supplement that is flax/ricebran based (Omega Grande) that increased her Omegas. I have her flexed every six months, and she has been working grand prix exercises again since Decemberj, and I started her back in training last September. I Her last six month flexion was the end of February and for the first time in four years, she did not need her hocks injected, and her right front coffin joint, that she had surgery to remove a bone chip fracture and needed IRAP every four months, also has been super sound and comfortable Now the edema is gone, she is RIPPED, and her temperament is very even. The only problem I had removing soy is that her suppressed hormones now are raging! So now I have a MARE!

I don’t know if the soy free diet works for everyone, but it certainly works well for us.

FWIW if you do a search on here about the reactions from Pentosan many that had problems came from Wedgewood. When I inject I use a thinner longer needle and inject slowly. I also make sure it’s warm if kept cool, then I massage the area afterward. Never a lump or a reaction in the many years I’ve used it from HPR, HMOL, Wedgewood or Wycliffe.

Interesting BoyleHeightsKid, but I think you are lucky. I used a 20g 1.5 inch needle and my pentosan was kept in a warm room. Perhaps I didn’t inject slowly enough, and I do massage after. I didn’t have bad reaction until the last bottle I used. I did also get a raised swelling from Wedgwood pentosan and stopped using it, but the swelling I got then was not anywhere near as severe as to what I got from pentosan gold. I used the HorsePreRace for a couple of years before I got the extreme reaction. But that response (and also my friend’s horse
s reation) was enough for me to quit using it. Also the HorsePreRace people are horrible and sketchy. If you ever had to sue them for their product killing a horse, good luck finding them!

I use the 20g 1.5 for the Pentosan as well. I thought you were supposed to go deep into the muscle; thus the 1.5. What gauge are you using BHK?

Again, I think it may have to due to the horse. I’m willing to accept that it is my poor technique because I really am queasy about giving shots. I remember, BHK, you saying about injecting slowly, keeping the med warm, and massaging afterward. I do that. How about the discoloration and hair loss? Do any of you get that? The hair loss happens and comes back a little than leaves again.

Cowgirl, thanks for all the info. Are you still using the 20g1.5 for the Adequan or 20g 1? My vet only uses the 1inch. I’m still wondering about using the same 5ml dose of Adequan for all horse sizes. Doesn’t make sense to me.

As far as the soy, I believe it’s not good. However, when you have a senior horse with dental issues, the whole foods diet doesn’t work.

I usually use a 20 or 22g 1.5 as well. I’ve never had a reaction nor a change in the hair color or hair loss. If I did, I would quit using it. I have been thinking of injecting just IV though since reading about others experiences. It’s not just one source people are complaining about so IV might be the best solution if you would like to keep using it.

I was told to draw up with one needle then inject with another, clean needle to avoid the hair discoloration. Also clean with alcohol and let dry at the injection site.

I’ve never seen IV injection instructions for it, is that recommended somewhere?

I always use a different needle to draw. I don’t think i would ever use a horseprerace med IV.

Why would drawing with a different needle make a difference? Just curious. The idea is that the discoloration is caused by some medication getting on the hair that was on the outside of the needle?

I always use one needle to draw and another (new) to inject, and did have problems with hair loss and discoloration using the Wedgewood pentosan a couple of years ago. So I don’t buy the needle switch explanation as I was already doing that. I use 20 g 1.5" needles.

I did have one batch from Wedgewood that gave multiple horses big nasty lumps - contacted Wedgewood through my vet and they picked up the bottle to test…and I never heard results (of course). It was right when pentosan suddenly became unavailable for a while, so I don’t know if that was related. I’m currently using the Wedgewood pentosan again after a couple of years of not needing it for anyone and not having any problem.

I should add I get mine from Wedgewood through my vet.

Cleaning with alcohol is something that I always always do. I believe its labeled as either IM or IV. Let me see if I can find that somewhere.