Where do I get a cocoa mat?

I finally have my dream trailer, a 2+ one Turnbow, with a side exit ramp.
The ramp works great, and it does have cleats. However, I’m thinking about some horses being fractious and potentially slipping… Particularly if the ramp is wet from rain. I have no idea where to get a Cocoa mat? Help!

Google just showed me plenty places for cocoa mats designed for horse trailers.
Amazon came up more than once.

1 Like

Oooh. I’d try everything not to need one of those. They are heavy and recalcitrant. They act as if you can coil them up, but then say “No.”

The only time I have seen those used and really, legit needed, was for trucks/semi trailers whose decks are about 4’ above the ground. There’s a minimum amount of slipping one can do between pull-behind trailer and the ground. The average horse who is reluctant will sooner leap out to the ground and/or put out a front foot to catch himself if he takes a bad step. And the hard loader going up-hill into the rig is usually going slowly. I can picture a hard-loader who has been pressured and then suddenly gives up the fight and runs forward toward the pressure, slipping when is front toe does and trying to fall uphill, into the trailer and on to his chin. But perhaps the work-around is loading technique or savvy,

You can get some pretty dang sticky kinds of rubber. The best for this is the worst to clean: That stuff that has little nubs or pegs of rubber sticking up every 1/8" or so. Those provide traction just about now matter what. But good luck sweeping shavings off them. In your spot, I’d pay to put this on my ramp before I bought a cocoa mat. Bad sweeping or not, this kind of rubber on your ramp will do a nice job and be cheaper and easier to use all the way around.

2 Likes

Farm Vet and KBC sell them, as well as tons of other places. Just google “coco mat.”

Done!
Amazon won…

1 Like

When I was young, my horses were hauled in big vans all the time. Because of this, I saw a lot of Coco mats. But I have to say that I think that they really are rather slick. The upside with them is they give padding to the ramp and up the sides of the ramp a little bit. But there have to be better things out there in this day and age than a Coco mat

1 Like