Where do you find appropriate horses?

I ride dressage and I have a small budget. I am planning to look for another horse this coming spring, as my gelding is lame(getting worse rather than better per vet…very sad time) and my mare is green broke.

I have never had to shop as a disabled rider before. Usually, I purchased unbroke horses or OTTBs. I don’t really know how to shop or where to look for safe and sane horses of riding age on a small budget. Another issue is I need a big horse or one with a really big barrel, as I have lots of leg to be taken up. How have you guys done it? Any breeds in particular that have worked for you? I don’t have any breed prejudice.

I welcome any hints or ideas. I search the online horse classifieds daily, but I haven’t found anything.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

What about a stocky QH type? Would take up your leg, but keep you from needing a huge horse. :slight_smile: My mare is 15.2, but she has had everyone from a 6 year old to a 6 ft tall rider and they all look appropriate on her.

Are you willing to do some retraining if needed (ie, from trail/pleasure horse to dressage)?

What part of the country are you located in? If its Maine/NH, I can ask some friends if they know anything for sale thats not being advertised.

Thanks Katelyn

I have thought about a QH. I was able to ride Whicker’s 15.2h wide Hanoverian mare and look normal. I certainly don’t mind a shorter, rounder type of horse. I don’t mind retraining the horse to make it into a dressage horse.

My main needs are sound and sane. I’m just in search of places to look and breeds that might fit the bill.

I am located in NH. I know it will be a long search, so I’m starting now :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help!

sport-bred Morgans!

You’ll defitely get the safe and sane factor (but smart and thinking, definitely not boring!), plus the shorter/rounder/more compact, and nice movement.

try here for starters: www.sportmorgan.com

Even if there’s nothing on the dales page that looks to fit the bill now, go to the “member farms” page for more info from each breeder, websites, etc.

and no, having shared my life with two of these horses hasn’t biased me at all :slight_smile:

Happy browsing!

I’m not disabled but I am an aging (mid 50s) rerider who doesn’t bounce and needs a horse like you describe. I wouldn’t go by the breed but by the individual horse; not all QHs are quiet nor are all TBs crazy. I myself have two TBs. My coming five year old (sorry, not for sale) fits your description: great mind–has never put a foot wrong with me and has saved my bacon on several occasions. He has nice gaits and is shaping up to be a real showman in the dressage ring. He’s 16.1 and wide enough that he would take up your leg nicely. He flunked out on the track and then flunked out as a polo pony–too slow and too big-strided.

In short, I wouldn’t discount any breed… look at the individual.

We have a TB and QH that are to die for wonderful. Invite, put the feelers out to the rescues. If they know you are looking, and have a heads up of your needs they are a wonderful resource for some AMAZING horses.

I love Fjords. Game little buggers, but sweet. Almost doofy. I know of two I wish I could get my hands on. :yes:

Thanks guys

I really appreciate your responses. I am definitely not against a Thoroughbred. My calmest, sweetest horse ever was a big TB mare linebred to Buckpasser. I miss her every single day. She was injured in the pasture and we kept her going and pasture sound as long as we could. She was so easy and so eager to please.

I am open to any breed. I keep finding little ponies and I wish I wasn’t so darn tall. I am going to look into my local SPCA and other rescues in the area. It is just really different horse shopping now then it was when I was in remission and thought I was “disability free” despite the frequent, yet brief, relapses.

I’m keeping a diary of my horse shopping trials and horrors. I think it might end up being pretty darn interesting.

You may want to contact local therapeutic riding centers. Most of them are constantly offered horses, and some of them may be very quiet but just not suitable for their needs. Some places don’t take mares, for example. They would probably have some leads for you.

…and it’s not as if you don’t have any contacts in this regard!

[QUOTE=equineartworks;4538411]
We have a TB and QH that are to die for wonderful. Invite, put the feelers out to the rescues. If they know you are looking, and have a heads up of your needs they are a wonderful resource for some AMAZING horses.

I love Fjords. Game little buggers, but sweet. Almost doofy. I know of two I wish I could get my hands on. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Who me? I’m outta the loop :winkgrin:

I also second the Morgan suggestion. Lovely, lovely horses.

Oh the wheels are turning! Maybe my sponsors (aka parents) will give in and let something come home before spring. I am off to check out the “to die for” horses!!!
Woohoo, another place to shop.

You could look for something with some Andalusian in it. They tend to be pretty laid-back in general, and the half-breds are not terribly pricey.

We’ve had good experiences with PMU mares and their later grown up foals begin docile and thoughtful (rather then reactive), while having a good size and often good movement. Just another thought in the mix.

This really interests me

[QUOTE=Karma;4543696]
We’ve had good experiences with PMU mares and their later grown up foals begin docile and thoughtful (rather then reactive), while having a good size and often good movement. Just another thought in the mix.[/QUOTE]

This is a great idea. I have seen some lovely draft x PMUs, but the numbers have dwindled in my area. It seems that there used to be Draft x PMUs everywhere. Now they are needles in a haystack.

Well… here’s one place I’d look

http://www.lazydacres.com/

Paula sold a horse to a friend and to several of her friends. All were exactly as stated and buyers are very happy with them.

Unfortunately, she recently moved from Pennsylvania to Florida. Would have been perfect for you invite because she had a connection in MA and showed horses both places.

So you more southern folks… I’d at least give her a call and see what she had

How about a Paint?

I know someone looking for good homes for several Spanish Normans.

Very, very good dressage gaits, big in body, wonderful minds.

Most looking for homes are either greenbroke or not started, which can be an issue.

I am upsizing with at least one big mare for exactly the reasons you state–I love my big-little horses, and many folks are comfy on a 15-15.3h, but you come across those who need bigger–or at least BUILT bigger.

The SN’s, particularlarly the 2nd generatiosn and the 3/4 Andies are pretty impressive to me… competitive gaits & movement, and generally sound and sane. I may be using one for a caparisoned horse. We’ll see how it goes.

Sounds tempting!!! Now for my dumb question…What exactly is a Spanish Norman?

[QUOTE=pintopiaffe;4556545]
I know someone looking for good homes for several Spanish Normans.

Very, very good dressage gaits, big in body, wonderful minds.

Most looking for homes are either greenbroke or not started, which can be an issue.

I am upsizing with at least one big mare for exactly the reasons you state–I love my big-little horses, and many folks are comfy on a 15-15.3h, but you come across those who need bigger–or at least BUILT bigger.

The SN’s, particularlarly the 2nd generatiosn and the 3/4 Andies are pretty impressive to me… competitive gaits & movement, and generally sound and sane. I may be using one for a caparisoned horse. We’ll see how it goes.[/QUOTE]

Iberian X Percheron. T’was the ‘war horse’ of the crusades etc.

Up to 3/4 Iberian. BUT–it’s all about picking the right Perchies. The mares my friend has are STUNNING, refined heads ‘riding’ movement and build (vs. the tall pulling champs) and she uses the blood on top.

I’m a fan of any PURPOSE bred draftX. I’m loving some of the ASBx’s like Flying W does and has done. Not too heavy/cold, and yet there certainly are attributes the Draft brings to the table for some of us. :wink:

I highly recommend Saddlebred Rescue, which is a 501©3 because horses are evaluated by professional trainers as to what their skill level and temperaments are. Best of all, once you have become an approved adopter, you can specify that you are looking for a certain type of horse, including physical characteristics, gaits or whatever, and if one comes along, you’d be notified if you do not notice on your own, on the forum they have, that one matching your needs has become available. Saddlebreds are very versatile, and come in a variety of sizes and body styles. The rescue sometimes has other breeds as well.
see website www.saddlebredrescue.com