Unlimited access >

Where have all the Plain Nosebands Gone!!!!

I am on the lookout for a noseband (or even a bridle that can flatter my mare’s large head). A while ago I commented on a thread when someone inquired where they could find a plain dressage noseband. Well, now that it is time for me to get one for my large mare, they are nowhere to be found.

I loved my Vespucci bridle, but she outgrew that. I am willing to buy an entirely new bridle, but not looking for a full one, so cam someone please point me in the right direction? I have a photo if you would like to look, but I have no idea how to attach them here. Seriously, just help me please!

I know there are millions of threads on here, but the suggestions there didn’t quite work for us. Thanks in advance.

I have a noseband that I would be more than willing to sell to you. I bought it on Tack of the Day so I think it is a Bit of Britain brand. It’s lightly used. I’ll upload a picture…

To share pictures here you would need to use Photobucket and paste the link in your post.

Arc de Triumph has a flash that can be taken totally off - if I remember right, Courbette makes plain nosebands too. I think you can order ANY kind of noseband from Jerrys.

Tack of the Day has plain nosebands with or without a flash right now:
http://www.tackoftheday.com/product_p/too-nf-noseband.htm

I have a black Stubben that is designed for horses with larger heads - I think it looks handsome on my mare.

Try Jerry’s Harness shop. I replaced my flash noseband and with one of their traditional cavesons and it’s really nice quality. They have a few widths to choose from so you can pick a size to compliment your mare.

http://www.justbridles.com/

I have the Red Barn with plain noseband and its really nice. You can buy the pieces individually.

I had this problem, and ended up buying a bridle I loved and cutting the flash tab off. Use a sharp razor blade, cut at a slight angle so that the ends of the flash loop are tucked into the noseband and it’s padding. Repeat for the other side of the loop. Then dab on some black shoe polish, and voila. I did this 3 years ago and never looked back. It’s only noticeable if you are right in front of my horse and staring at his noseband. And I’m NOT a handy person.

It’s too hard to find the perfect bridle otherwise, IMO. Everything has a flash. Much easier to just remove the flash. :slight_smile:

I bought my bridle in pieces back when eqtack.com was still around (now there’s tackzone.com which looks to be the same). No one sells a black bridle with hook studs and a raised padded noseband without flash or crank.

I almost forgot I posted on this thread haha! Anyway here are the pictures of my noseband. Let me know if you might be interested.
Noseband #1
Noseband #2

If you want to buy new - I’ll second Jerry’s Harness. I love my Jerry’s bridle.

I found a new KL Select black snaffle bridle w/ hooks, padded crown and plain noseband, decent leather- on ebay, under $200.

I have a bridle maker that can do just about anything if you’d be interested? Very reasonable prices too!

I finally just had one custom made!

OP, I’m totally in the same boat, except I want a freakin’ BROWN dressage bridle (silver buckles - no hook studs!, no flash, crank caveson) and possibly might even get a second noseband so that I can have a dropped one, too. I’ve been using one of my hunter bridles for now and I see plenty of “eventer” bridles out there in brown, but yeah…next show season I’d really like to try and find a nice brown dressage bridle instead. I’ll likely end up ordering a custom one from Jerry’s within the next few months. It’s definitely frustrating!

I second Jerry’s Harness. Beautiful bridles. You can get a plain noseband and special order if you need to. Fortunately my new horse was a perfect horse size so saved me the trouble.

I just bought a Bobby’s Bridle from Nancy at Rock Horse Ranch that is a monocrown, plain noseband with rubber reins. I couldn’t find that combination anywhere else and believe me I looked everywhere! You can pretty much order any combination of bridle parts to put together exactly what you want, Nancy was great to work with, price was very reasonable and the leather quality is great.

If you’re very patient and use a super sharp (brand new) xacto knife, you can cut off the bit that the flash slides through and it looks like a perfectly normal noseband.

Yeah, I just cut the loop off too.

Another vote for Jerry’s. I have a really nice monocrown with plain noseband, with their detachable flash (comes with a little loop that just slides off when you don’t need it). Works great for my horse who does not go in a flash in dressage but does for jumping.
You can customize it to exactly the size you want, and get it with or without reins.

Yes, I’m leaning more and more towards Jerry’s. I’m hoping that Just Bridles reopens soon. I have time though because we don’t have any shows soon. I was just shocked and frustrated by the lack of plain nosebands. It seemed like there were more around even 2 years ago.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I am examining all my options. Now back to DAD livestream!