Unlimited access >

Where is Shanghai Bobby?

Risky business.

Newbie question, why does it decrease the value of his foals?
If a great sire dies/is unavailable, wouldn’t his offspring go up in value (like art when the artist dies) because you can’t get it anymore?

Yup

The only business I can think of that is not risky. Will provide a secure income regardless of the “economy”. Is Mortician.

1 Like

A stallion being sold to another country (other then a high profile stud in Europe) or state/region other then KY. Is not the same as a good stallion that dies in KY.

The only reason a stallion is sold by a top Stud farm in KY. Is because his get are not living up to, producing to breeders, the commercial markets expectation. The standing farm most likely has already experienced trouble filling his book and or is hedging their bet with this in mind in the near future. Sell before he becomes, is thought, perceived to be a complete “failure”. After being sold the value of his get and in foal mares will take a hit in the auction ring.

1 Like

Ah, he gets a bad reputation. Well, hopefully his foals will shine.

[QUOTE=gumtree;n1023790

I doubt that the farm could have kept this quiet until after the November breeding stock sales. But I am sure anybody that is selling a mare in foal to him wishes they had.[/QUOTE]

It would have been less obvious if they would have left his page up on the farm website.

That would have been a bit deceptive. Since breeding contracts don’t specify how the stallion is to be managed, there is no guarantee that the stallion will be managed in a way that protects the value of the unborn foal. It sucks, but I guess you have to consider that outfits like Coolmore who buy the top stallion prospects regularly will also cull the ones that are not cutting the mustard. At least breeders can make a little bit of a plan to salvage what they can now that they know he is gone.

I personally love Shanghai Bobby due to his looks. But yeah, it’s not a beauty contest.

Potential breeders do not “know he is gone” because Coolmore has said nothing.

I don’t understand why you would think that leaving the stallion page up until the sale or lease is announced would be “deceptive?” That makes no sense whatsoever. It is the end of September, not January.

Coolmore has not announced that he is gone. If you are considering deceit , then shipping the stallion out of the country without mentioning it to breeders hits the mark. Last I checked he was still on the Bloodhorse stallion register.

People have noticed that he has disappeared from Coolmore’s roster and Coolmore has said nothing. Not cool. Takes the Cool right out of Coolmore.

1 Like

Fwiw, Shanghai Bobby’s page has been removed from the Bloodhorse Stallion Register.

It depends on where you look… If you google him you get this https://www.bloodhorse.com/stallion-…shanghai-bobby

I suspect some stale links hiding out in the ethernet …

1 Like

Implying that a stallion is still in the country is really no bueno because of the stigma attached as gumtree has explained. Also, in Kentucky, books by the popular stallions are probably already closed by January. In fact, depending on the stallion they may be closed by the November sale except for the extraordinary mare who will be ready to be bred at the right time in the breeding calendar when she can be slotted in.

I see. So any breeder interested would have been told that he was unavailable for the 2019 season? In other words, he had no book in the U.S. for 2019.
Or did they leave mare owners that had booked to him with few options, by letting them know (if they have done so) he was going to Japan, at this late date?

The main problem is not with breeding mares, it’s with the youngsters who were produced with possibly the intent to sell.

Still no response from Coolmore. Hope Bobby is doing well and is well cared for. Too bad, really.

On another BB, a poster who emailed Coolmore received a reply back saying that Shanghai Bobby had been leased to Japan for a year (no mention of which farm.)

That is what they said about Cape Blanco in 2015. About a month after our mare was pronounced in foal to him. I didn’t really want to breed to him even though the mating looked great on paper. But it was my partner’s choice that year.

We got a beautiful filly out of decent producing Dayjur mare. She had 2 Derby nominated foals. 1 TDN Rising Star. One real “talking” Derby horse that got hurt.

The filly was on the small size of things. The only one out of the mare. She was a dream to break/start. But had little to no value for racing. A sport horse (Eventer) bought her for very decent money for an Eventer as a long 2 year old. More than I would have gotten as a racing prospect. But at least I don’t have to worry about her ending up in a bad situation.

Last time I checked Cape Blanco is still in Japan.

Even though he is not standing in this country. He still left 2 crops. It would be nice if the Blood Horse stallion directory still keep track of his racing progeny in this country to check out. Instead of just a blank page saying he is in Japan.

1 Like

If Shanghai Bobby did get leased/sold to Japan then why would they be buying him? Surely there are people there with the $$$ to buy a top stallion. Or is it that top stallions are rarely for sale and so these stud farms overseas are buying the best of whatever is available, even if not stellar?

If I recall correctly, Colonel John was sold to Korea not too long ago. I don’t think he was considered to be a commercial stallion according to racing folks I talked to, but someone thought he was worth buying.

Sometimes other countries see more in a horse than do U.S. breeders and are willing to pay handsomely for them and take a chance. Remember Sunday Silence?

1 Like

The breeding and racing programs in other countries are considerably different than the United States. We are an anomaly, with our sprawling, competitive industry where the sales market and G1 races can make or break a stallion’s career.

A stallion who gets lost in the competition here can be quite successful in a different situation. Foreign investors recognize this and are willing to put up large sums of money, which is why we lose so many of these boys at this point of their careers.

For a horse like Shanghai Bobby, he’s likely going to have more opportunity in Japan than he would duking it out for the quality mares in Kentucky. And he’s definitely going to have more opportunity in Japan than he would going to a lesser state breeding program, where the mare quality plummets. But either way, he “failed” to prove he could keep competing in Kentucky because he reached the point where he was worth more to someone elsewhere.

1 Like