Unlimited access >

Where is Willem? [Now complete with Apple Sorbet and Cinnamon Ice Cream Recipes]

OMGiH! I haff ice-cream maker on order! I haff finally decided to buy one mein selve after I haff readed these recipes. Und I can to order mein groceries online und zo they bring der gredients to mein howse. This it be wunnerful! First I make Apfel Ice-Cream.

I haff sayed this be fore, I be ein German horse und this it be straight from mein mouth.

Wellllll. After great deliberation and much thought – and a few hungry tummy rumbles at the thought of all this delicious sounding stuff, it has been decided that Albion should post her recipes, green apple, green tea and cinnamon all sound wonderful!

This too, shall pass.

Willem, you must let us know if you get an ice-cream machine, because I have two fabulous recipies for green apple ice cream & green apple sorbet.

‘O lente, lente currite noctis equi’ - Ovid

Oh the ingrate. Haffing ein flingen while his mother is off in England wrastling with a PP at Sir Pauls concert.

Son son son, you are pushing the envelope sometimes.

_\]
– * > hoopoe
The ancient Greeks did not write obituaries. They only wanted to know if you had a passion.

A new Jilly Cooper

The perfecto summer trashy read.

Though you have to read the new Harry Potter too, there are new magical “horses” Not the ones that only eat single malt scotch, different ones.

_\]
– * > hoopoe
The ancient Greeks did not write obituaries. They only wanted to know if you had a passion.

Okay, I cant stand not to ask any more!!! I get such a kick out of reading about Willem and his posts, yet have no idea who he is!! So, does the boy have a website or any one have a picture of this fine boy I keep hearing such great things about? I am dying in suspense here!

www.equinewellnessmassage.com

ooooh I too am a kitchen nerd and I LOFF Williams Sonoma. I have a great Kitchen Aid Blender I got in high school and I’d kill for a decent mixer…

I’m working nights right now so I’m not quite sure what I do eat haha. But its probably not enough or very healthy…

Laura

I hope he doesn’t miss all of OT day! I’d sure like to hear his views on some of these topics!

You put on the leather pants and the pants start telling you what to do. -Bono

Ok, I’ll start with the mildy-horse related apple recipes. I can’t find my green apple ICE CREAM recipe, but I DO have a good green apple GELATO recipe. All these recipes can be modified to taste … and extra ingredients can be added/substituted. I have a Cuisinart 1 QT ice cream machine. These will work with any ice cream machine, but depending on the size of the bowl, you might have to make more than one batch.

Apple Sorbet:

3/4 cup sugar
1 cup clear unsweetened apple juice
4 green apples (ones that are quite tart work best)
Juice of 2 limes

Combine the sugar & apple juice in a small saucepan and place over low heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves & the syrup is clear. Remove from the heat & cool to room temperature (I usually stick it in the fridge for a bit)

Peel & core the apples. Roughly chop the fruit & place in a blencder with cool syrup and lime juice. Blend until completely smooth, about 1 minute. Freeze in 1 or 2 batches (depending on the size of your machine) according to the manufacturer’s directions. It comes out soft, but ready to eat. I prefer slightly firmer sorbet, so I transfer the finished product to plastic containers & stick it in the freezer until it firms up.

*chardonnay can be substituted for the apple juice.

Cinnamon Ice Cream:

I’ve tried a bunch of different recipes for cinnamon ice cream, and this is by far my favorite. Great on pies & stuff, it’s REALLY good plain. If you’re health conscious, you can replace the heavy cream with whole milk, but I make no guarentees about the finished product

1 cup milk
3 heaping tablespoons of cinnamon (more to taste, I usually use about 5. I like my cinnamon ice cream VERY cinnamon-y)
3/4 cup sugar
6 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup half-and-half
1 cup heavy cream

Bring the milk to a boil in a heavy medium saucepan. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cinnamon, cover, and set aside to steep for 15 minutes.

Beat the sugar into the egg yolks until thickened and pale yellow. Beat in the flour and salt. Set aside.

At this point, you can strain the milk if you want to. I usually don’t, just make sure the cinnamon hasn’t clumped up - if it has, just mix it around until it seperates. Add the half-and-half and return to a simmer over low heat. Slowly beat the hot milk and half-and-half into the egg yolks and sugar. Pour the entire mixture back into the pan and place over low heat. Stir constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon until the custard thickens slightly. DO NOT let the mixture boil as the eggs will scramble! Remove from the heat & pour cinnamon custard through a strainer into a large, clean bowl. Allow the custard to cool slightly, then stir in the cream. Cover & refrigerate until cold. *I usually do an ice bath, where you fill a larger bowl with water and ice & plunk the other bowl (with the mixture) into it. Throw it in the fridge & it should cool off pretty quickly.

Stir the chilled custard, then freeze in 1 or 2 batches according to the manufacturer’s directions. I usually sprinkle in a bit of cinnamon when it starts to firm up in the machine. This ice cream is VERY thick and creamy. It is soft but ready to eat when it’s done, but (once again) I usually transfer it to the freezer & let it firm up a bit.

Earl Grey ice cream:

The recipe is the same as the Cinnamon ice cream recipe, but with tea instead of cinnamon. I would recommend using 3 heaping teaspoons of loose tea or 5 or 6 tea bags. Straining is, of course, mandatory if you’re using loose tea. If you decide to use a ‘sweeter’ type of tea (like Darjeeling), I would halve the amount of tea you steep in the milk. I tried Darjeeling using the above recipe & the stuff came out WAY too sweet.

I need to find my Apple Gelato recipe, but I will post it soon!

Oh now Coreene how could you deny him the machine now with TWO yummy sounding apple recipes right there.

Or perhaps you will just have to make some and take it to his house the old way.

I have never heard of apple sorbet, sounds wonderful!

_\]
– * > hoopoe

wats OT day ?

~~When they pased out brains…I WAS AT A HORSE SHOW!!!~~

Nein, keiner Harry Potter. I don’t nott to read books wot they be a-bout fantasy stuff. I haff readed lawyer thrillers aber mostly I don’t nott to read unless it be things like de Hoefslag und Vanity Fair. I loff reading Christopher Hitchens und Dominick Dunne, they haff mannie opinions like wot I haff mein selve.

I haff sayed this be fore, I be ein German horse und this it be straight from mein mouth.

Willem
will der modder coreen whom you loff be lunching (cocktails) dis weekend or perhaps chowing on fish tacos from wahoo und peeking at der underage fleshmen while der show is proceeding? und would she like company?

Delyth, I’d love to, but I’m afraid the moderators might think it a little too off topic.

If the ‘higher ups’ don’t mind, I’d be happy to share!

kb - glad to be of help. I loff cinnamon ice cream, and while most people are slightly suspicious at first, ALL my friends and family are addicts now!

Willem;

I haft die computer und I haft to be telling you… I loff you

xoxoxoxoxo

Dorina

He hasn’t posted in a while. Is he off surfing, dude?

[Edited title to alert to recipes]

[This message was edited by Portia on Jun. 30, 2003 at 02:11 PM.]

ooooooooooh. yes Matt and I be po’ until I can sell my friggin horse

but $30 for an ice cream maker. I bet I spend that on ice cream every month (its my passion) hehehe. Must try. I work with a girl who was a pastry chef and now she wants to help me make ice cream/sorbet recipes. she rules!

Laura

I hear he went to virginia.

Dear Sam: All I really want for my birthday is FLYING LEAD CHANGES!!

Anyone else think Albion should post her yummy sounding recipes so we can test them out and make sure they’re suitable for equine consumption?