Unlimited access >

Where is Willem? [Now complete with Apple Sorbet and Cinnamon Ice Cream Recipes]

He hasn’t posted in a while. Is he off surfing, dude?

[Edited title to alert to recipes]

[This message was edited by Portia on Jun. 30, 2003 at 02:11 PM.]

So the Apple Sorbet does not require an ice cream maker???/ (Poor college student is HOPING here!)

Laura

I bet he found some hot new filly to chase.

In Memory of Remarkable | Save a life. Be an organ donor. | Click Here

Probably … I hear it is actually very hot at his howse this week, so the beach would be a good place!

bump so no one who wanted the recipes misses them!

‘O lente, lente currite noctis equi’ - Ovid

OMGiH!!! I haff forgetted that this wot it haff beed Off Topic Day. This it be wrong, this it be wrong!

Mein selve I haff beed mit mein nose glued in der neues buch wot it be by Jilly Cooper, it be called Pandora und I haff borrowed it von mein modder Coreene (I loff her). I haff readed it for like two days. Finally it haff getted hot here und then, voila, there I beed mit mein nose sticked into das buch.

I don’t nott to haff getted mein ice-cream maker yet aber I haff beed making apfel slushes mit vodka und they be verrie wunnerful.

For der next zwei dagen there be dressage show at mein howse. They haff sayed to me, “Willem, we want you to do der Grand Prix Special,” und I haff sayed to them that if I just walk into der ring I haff all ready winned mit score von like almost ein hunnert. Like one time wenn I beed doing piaffe to Oye Como Va der judges they haff wanted to giff me like 80 in stead off 10 becose it haff beed so perfecto und ein originale interpretation von piaffe.

I haff sayed this be fore, I be ein German horse und this it be straight from mein mouth.

These recipes look wunnerful! But, alas, I have a problem: I have an ice cream maker, but I, um, seem to have lost the directions for the use thereof. Sigh.

Oh, and Kinsella: Glad you liked that.

Dear Sam: All I really want for my birthday is FLYING LEAD CHANGES!!

Thank you! I am a cinnamon ice cream addict and it is very hard to find. Now I can make my own.

I hear he found someplace with air conditioning, a margarita machine, a good stereo system, and a 60 inch flat screen TV, and he ain’t coming out till temps are back down to the mid-80’s.

"I hope one of the fighting mothers-in-law gets bitch slapped with a fresh trout."
[I]Merry, June 24, 2003[/I]

Ah Willem -

Ich liebe dich auch! Du bist mein Held.

Ok, I found the apple gelato recipe. For your enjoyment, I will ALSO post my peanut butter ice cream recipe (it’s REALLY good … sounds bizarre, but it’s yummy!). My ponies always like peanut butter, maybe Willem does too

This makes several batches for my ice cream maker. I usually halve the recipe, unless we’re having apple tarts or something like that for a LOT of people. I’ve also found this one to be hit-or-miss with me, but when it’s good, it’s very, very good, and when it’s bad … it’s still ok.

Apple Gelato:

12 ripe Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
1/4 cup sugar
Juice of 2 lemons
1 cup milk
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup egg yolks
1/2 cup corn syrup

Cut up apples into 1/2 inch pieces. They should measure 3 cups. Place in a saucepan with 1/4 c. sugar and lemon. Cook over medium heat until tender. Blend until smooth, strain, and chill in ice bath.

Heat cream and milk in saucepan with 1/2 c. sugar. Whisk yolks separately with some of the hot cream mixture. Add back into saucepan and cook over low heat stirring constantly until thickened. Again, DO NOT let it boil! Strain through fine sieve. Add corn syrup. Chill in ice bath. Combine with apple puree & freeze according to manufactuer’s directions. Again, if you desire firmer ice cream, stick it in the freezer before serving.

Apple Butter Ice Cream:

The unsweetened, unspiced stuff works best, but I have used generic spiced apple butter to fine results.

1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
2 cups light cream
1 1/2 cups unsweetened, unspiced apple butter
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Beat the sugar into the eggs and egg yolks until thickened and pale yellow. Beat in the flour. Set aside.

Bring the light cream to a simmer in a heavy saucepan. Slowly beat the hot cream into the eggs and sugar. Pour the entire mixture back into the pan and place over low heat. Stir constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon until the custard thickens slightly. Again, DO NOT let the mixture boil, or the eggs will scramble! Remove from the heat & whisk in the apple butter and cinnamon. Pour the hot apple butter custard through a strainer into a large, clean bowl. Stir in the vanilla. Cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until cold. *Again, you can use an ice bath for the mix instead.

Stir the chilled custard & freeze in machine according to the manufactuere’s instructions. If you’d like firmer ice cream, transfer to the freezer.

A fun way to serve it: Hollow out an apple and fill with apple butter ice cream. Sprinkle on some cinnamon & serve.

Finally, one of my favorites, Peanut Butter Ice Cream:

Use creamy peanut butter - reduced fat, chunky, or homemade doesn’t work as well. If you like crunchy peanut butter, throw in a handful of chopped peanuts to the mix when it is semi-frozen in the machine.

3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

In a medium mixing bowl, beat the sugar into the eggs until thickened and pale yellow. Set aside.

Bring the milk to a simmer in a heavy medium saucepan. Slowly beat the hot milk into the eggs and sugar. Pour the entire mixture back into the pan & place over low heat. Stir constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon until the custard thickens slightly. DO NOT let the mixture boil! Remove from the heat & beat in the peanut butter. Pour the hot custard through a strainer into a large, clean bowl. Allow the peanut butter custard to cool slightly. Stir in the cream and vanilla. Cover & refrigerate until cold. *Again, I just use an ice bath.

Stir the chilled custard, the freeze in your ice cream machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions. If you want firmer ice cream, transfer it to the freezer.

Albion’s favorite version: add 1/2 cup (at least!) of miniature chocolate chips to the machine when the ice cream is semifrozen. Continue with the recipe as directed.

Several of these recipes came from my favorite ice cream cookbook, ‘The Ultimate Ice Cream Book’ by Bruce Weinstein. He’s got a LOT of cool recipes with tons of variations. I now have my favorite ice cream ‘base’ from which I build off of. I highly recommend the book for anyone who wants good recipes that turn out well - from plain vanilla to corn ice cream (haven’t tried that one & don’t plan on it although the author swears it’s delicious)

If anyone would like anymore recipes, I have some killer sorbet recipes (lemon blackberry sorbet is one of my faves). You’re welcome to e-mail me!

Mein modder Coreene (I loff her), she say she be coming to der stables tomorrow in der a.m. at like 6:30 becose she haff to do some thing there und then she be watching der hunters until der dressage wot it be starting.

She haff watched it for like uno minuto this morgen und she want to know if you haff seed der pintoe wot he looked like he beed part Tinker. There beed ein big dark gray alzo wot his name I think it haff beed Mack Truck becose he haff beed so giganto I think he beed ein Oirish Harse mit steroids.

I haff beed verrie happie today becose mein friend wot his name it be Ace und he be in schwarz Morgan he haff goed in der show und it haff beed his first dressage show. He comed out in Drei Level und he haff doed 65%. This wot it beed verrie nice for him. I hop it means he haff getted extra karroten, mebbe he share some mit me.

I haff sayed this be fore, I be ein German horse und this it be straight from mein mouth.

Oh. My. God.

I am rolling on the floor Beezer…

…such are the horses on which gods and heros ride.

Stoneybrooke Farm

Oh, I hope his new digs have an ice cream machine too. He has wanted one for a long time!

“The power of acute observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” - George Bernard Shaw

Riley- Ot day is off topic day, we had one last Fri. Where the mods let you post anything you want and they dont have to be horse related.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ifihadwords4u

Ponygrl, all the recipes require an ice cream maker.

I don’t know how poor a college student you are (I’m at ‘starving college student’ level at this point!) but some of them (like the little Cuisinart I have) can be had for quite cheap. Seriously, like $30. After the initial outlay, it’s cheaper than buying the stuff at the grocery store. I’m pretty sure you could turn many sorbet recipies into popsicles, though. Cheap-o popsicle molds can be found at Wal-Mart and grocery stores. I’ve made lemon popsicles out of lemon sorbet before, soo …

Beezer, R-A-R is right - most manufacturers’ websites have downloadable user manuals these days.

this ‘higher up’ really wants the green apple and cinnamon recipes please!

www.loffwillem.com

Willem’s modder Coreene, who he LOFFS is working to help him with his new site. His pic was in COTH alone with Coreene (he loffs her) last fall.

Resident racing historian
Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Beezer

Check the web site of the company that makes your ice cream maker - you might be able to download the manual, or at least find an address or phone number where you can order one.

Approved helmet: Every ride; every time.

Well, my mum came home from Williams-Sonoma last year & said, ‘I got you a suprise!’ I saw the Cuisinart box & said, ‘YES! A food processor! WOO HOO!’ It turned out to be an ice cream maker (I’m a geek when it comes to kitchen appliances - all I want for Christmas is a nice KitchenAid stand mixer, with dough hook attachment. :drool: )

The only problem with the cheaper kinds is that the bowl MUST be kept frozen (and I mean VERY frozen) - it does take up a decent amount of space in the freezer. One day, I want one of the expensive ones that you just plug in, no pre-freezing required. But for now, this one does just fine.

It’s really quite fun to watch the liquid turn into ice cream & it’s quite satisfying to eat the fruits of your labor. Just poked around on the Williams-Sonoma website, and they’re running around $49 right now - Ice Cream Maker - but ours was on sale last summer (towards the end of summer).

At this point, I’m living on chicken breasts & rice & have been way too broke to buy ice cream making ingredients. If you need any tips or tricks, just let me know. And I have tons more yummy recipies!