Unlimited access >

Where my Arabian peeps at?

[QUOTE=AmarachAcres;7382643]
Thank you! She toes out just a tad but no interference. Her personality is what sold me. She had never been ridden at 7 and yet tries so damn hard to figure out what I want.

Hoping to do dressage and trails with her. My foxtrotter gelding hits 20 this year so she is my project to bring alone as he gets older.[/QUOTE]

Please come to the Arabian Sport Horse Celebration Show at Donida Farm this May! Last weekend, it’s combined with Region 5 Champs, will be a BLAST!

I’m loving all of these stories and the pics! It’s so fun to scroll through and get the warm fuzzies from the photos and anecdotes.

californianinkansas, yes, Tril is the leadrope muncher who showed up once in the trailer completely turned around because he’d chewed through the rope tying him.

I also wanted to come back and share Tril’s professional photos from before I bought him–my handsome goofball. I find it hilarious now, knowing him as I do, that he has something in his mouth for every single one of the turnout pics. That is definitely my boy. :lol:

[QUOTE=Lauruffian;7383979]
I’m loving all of these stories and the pics! It’s so fun to scroll through and get the warm fuzzies from the photos and anecdotes.

californianinkansas, yes, Tril is the leadrope muncher who showed up once in the trailer completely turned around because he’d chewed through the rope tying him.

I also wanted to come back and share Tril’s professional photos from before I bought him–my handsome goofball. I find it hilarious now, knowing him as I do, that he has something in his mouth for every single one of the turnout pics. That is definitely my boy. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Wow! He is lovely :slight_smile:

Here ![](s my boy, [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/mosmom/MO3013/mo_zpsd143aa18.jpg) last year with my daughter at 22, doing Novice/training eventing, and now [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/mosmom/Mo12014_zpscdf5f6e1.jpg) showing a new little girl the ropes. Gotta love those arabs.

Love all your stories and pics. I have my little herd of…cough…five :wink: Yes it is true you just can’t have one. I love all their unique personalities and I have tried other breeds, but there is nothing better than a smart Arabian. I show dressage and enjoy the occasional trail ride when I have time. My guys love to do it all and I have some up and coming youngsters that will be getting out there soon :slight_smile:

I’ve been following this thread and now feel like I should post here too - I don’t own any Arabians (my boy is a TB) but I board at a barn where the BO breeds Arabians and I’ve come to have a whole new appreciation for them!

They are just so fun and full of mischief! All horses have different personalities but the five of them are so lively and fun that it’s hard to not want one :D. Boarding with them reminded me of how much fun I used to have when I was younger and rode a chestnut Arabian gelding named Pogo who did anything - cross country, hunters, jumpers. He wasn’t mine but I worked at the barn as a working student, so I got really attached to him. I would go into the field to bring him and all I would have to do is call out his name and he’d come trotting towards and offer his head for his halter. He got me out of a sticky x-country situation once too - I was a beginner and we were ‘stuck’ between two solid jumps that served as a type of entrance into the two fields. He decided after a bit that the best and only way out was to jump from a standstill and he did! His little 14.3hh body just soared over the jump no problem. Saved my young, inexperienced a$$ from freaking out :slight_smile:

double post!

My Namesake :’(

Star

And my current girls
The mare

And her daughter
Picture

Just two. I hope she grows back into herself…someday

I love seeing everyone’s Arabians! We really, really need a clique.

I have an 18 yr old 3/4 Arab, 1/4 Morgan and a 25 yr old Morab (50/50) mare. Do they count? The gelding has a severe case of ADD, has been off since April due to an injury, and hopefully will be sound enough for at least light riding at some point. He’s been to SD with me twice. Both times on the way back from Mount Rushmore he managed to become a jigging fool. It’s an 8 hr round trip ride! I know, that’s nothing.

My old mare was pulled out of semi-retirment due to his injury and was awesome! She can be buddy sour, yet can get out and lead a trail ride at a nice pace, carts around my greenie friend, puts up with evening rides to bars or just down the trail. I’d really like a younger version of her for my next horse. She’s just fun.

I ride with some people who either dislike Arabs because they think they’re all hot and stupid (ha, right!), or are just such QH fans that they want nothing else. To each his own. I think a steady eddy QH might bore me to tears.

Too funny! I love all of your stories!

Today I was riding my Arab in the indoor, and about 20 minutes into our ride, we were demonstrating a leisurely “power walk” (as all of my non-Arab-riding friends call it) past the far arena doors. I wasn’t paying much attention and had apparently gotten lax with my inside leg, and Mare took that as an invitation to teleport herself nearly to X as we passed the same doors we had already walked, trotted, and cantered by probably 30 times in both directions. I circled her and we walked by again, this time with leg, and Mare didn’t even think about looking at the door :wink: Silly pony!

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1233568_10151668144975028_2009121503_n.jpg

[QUOTE=twotrudoc;7383978]
Please come to the Arabian Sport Horse Celebration Show at Donida Farm this May! Last weekend, it’s combined with Region 5 Champs, will be a BLAST![/QUOTE]

We have no money for training right now. I’m teaching her the basics and plan to haul her and my boy King around to local shows for the atmosphere but that’s it.

I can’t spend the gas money to go up there right now.

None of my gear is show quality anyway. I have paddock boots and half chaps, green breeches, and no proper English bridle that fits her right now. Using a western style with no noseband.

I love the stories, you guys! Here is mine, or at least part of mine. When I was 15, I was desperately looking for another horse, and I was determinded to have an Arabian. My best friends’ Mom knew of an Arabian mare for sale in my price range, so we went to go look. We didn’t click and I was dissappointed beyond belief. We were walking back to the barn when I found myself face first on the ground. When I rolled over there was this dappled gray mare just laughing at me. You could see it in her eyes. She came home with me. :slight_smile:

A few years later my friend and I were riding - she on our OTTB who was becoming more and more agitated as the ride went on. My friend had scoliosis and was in a Milwauke brace. I told her to switch rides with me and she said absolutely no - my mare played to what I liked and when I rode her she crab-walked, pranced, always GO GO GO!!! We ended up switching and I swear to you, she never placed a hoof wrong. She acted like she had a china doll on her back and walked like on eggshells.

I lost her almost 15 years ago and I still miss her like crazy.

My boy is intuitave as they come. He would crawl into my back pocket if he could. And he is just awesome with kids, just as gentle and kind as can be. He talks to me NON-STOP. And he is just so smart. :slight_smile: He is 25 this year and still looks like he is only 10.

Love the thread. I’ll venture back with pix, I promise.
Kinda a bittersweet? thread in a way…as when I saw it, an its timing, I wondered if it had to do with the passing of Desperado V.
I always thought? I"d venture to CA and visit him in the flesh at either a Spring Fling or a Summer Jubilee…but life got in the way, and it never happened. But I see him every day in his son’s eyes. My gelding reminds me of him in looks so strongly. My boy is 17 this year. And JUST this year, we finally got horse number 2…We looked long and hard because we (my 24 yr old daughter and myself) knew, whenever we were able to add a second horse, we wanted to look toward a half arab…half warmblood. This past year my husband retired and we know we’ll be moving to ‘the homeplace’ where I’m slowly but surely establishing a small barn and farmette for homehorsekeeping…so…we purchased a weanling filly in texas because finally, I can save on board!. She’ll ship in March! IF I had more land, I’d keep looking for another purebred…but for now, it’ll be, our loved boy, our new half arab girl, and a sweet mini mare for a companion to both! LOVE ME SOME ARABS!

[QUOTE=AmarachAcres;7384558]
We have no money for training right now. I’m teaching her the basics and plan to haul her and my boy King around to local shows for the atmosphere but that’s it.

I can’t spend the gas money to go up there right now.

None of my gear is show quality anyway. I have paddock boots and half chaps, green breeches, and no proper English bridle that fits her right now. Using a western style with no noseband.[/QUOTE]

Where abouts are you? I’m in Tacoma, I don’t own my own but will in a few years. I braid so am at most shows around here and I usually hang out at the Arab shows :slight_smile: Region 5 is super, really nice folks and really nice horses!

Down farther south will be an April Sport Horse Show in Elma, Wa at the fairgrounds I believe, that club is a great group. I am going to be there Saturday, I usually volunteer or cheer on folks. Stop by and say hi and meet people!

http://pacificrimarabianhorseassn.com/horseshow.html

Not everyone has buckets of cash laying around and it is certainly not a prerequisite to joining our local AHA clubs!

I have a half-Arabian. The other half is Appaloosa. So. I have this theory of genetics which probably contains some truths, but I’m sure a geneticist could shoot it full of holes.

When you breed for selected traits, sometimes you get less desirable traits emphasized as well. There is a story of Russian breeders trying to breed silver foxes for tameness. The tamer they got, the poorer their coats got, becoming pied or mottled like dogs.

So, they have identified the Lp gene which governs ALL coat patterns in Appaloosas. My horse, chestnut with a snowflake blanket, has a full brother who is a chestnut leopard. My theory is that when the leopard (Lp) gene is fully expressed, as in my horse’s brother, you also get the calm Appy temperament. When it is expressed in some other pattern, as with my horse’s snowflake blanket, you don’t get that laid back attitude (at least you don’t when crossed with Arabian!!! ROFLOL) I’m still working at turning my horse into a trail horse as well as a dressage horse, and he’s 9. All the people I know with purebreds tell me he should settle down now. So far…not so much. Good at (most) shows, still iffy on the trail. ;0)

Lol! I have only known maybe a dozen Apps but both leopards I rode extensively were not easy. One was incredibly spooky and dumped me once, ran away and came back again to run me over and leave again.

However I have heard variations on color and temperament regarding pintos with different white patterns on the head. Don’t know much truth behind it.

[QUOTE=twotrudoc;7385304]
Where abouts are you? I’m in Tacoma, I don’t own my own but will in a few years. I braid so am at most shows around here and I usually hang out at the Arab shows :slight_smile: Region 5 is super, really nice folks and really nice horses!

Down farther south will be an April Sport Horse Show in Elma, Wa at the fairgrounds I believe, that club is a great group. I am going to be there Saturday, I usually volunteer or cheer on folks. Stop by and say hi and meet people!

http://pacificrimarabianhorseassn.com/horseshow.html

Not everyone has buckets of cash laying around and it is certainly not a prerequisite to joining our local AHA clubs![/QUOTE]

We are right by Vancouver, WA. Buying her is why I don’t have the money, lol. I couldn’t pass her up.

I’m taking my sweet time with her. Maybe next year.

Ah. Well, Region 4 was at Devonwood in Tigard, OR right by you but is now in Nampa, ID.

You are near one of my favorite trainers, Tim Wigrin, of Command Performance Training in Ridgefield :slight_smile:

Lauruffian, The first pics of Tril look to have hills above Glendale in the background were they taken at or around the LAEC?

I’ve posted it before but here is my goofball having fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaI8C7AjpN4

He looks like his is light on his feet but it is really just the air in his head.

I need to get more current pics of him but here are a few older ones.
http://s298.photobucket.com/user/o14elise/media/100_0261-1.jpg.html?sort=6&o=30
http://s298.photobucket.com/user/o14elise/media/100_0265.jpg.html?sort=6&o=27
http://s298.photobucket.com/user/o14elise/media/100_0233.jpg.html?sort=6&o=3