Unlimited access >

Where, oh where, is my Mr. O'Malley (UPDATE, found very sick, to vet, crossing fingers!)

I know the dangers of inside/outside cats, after 30 years on these acres, have grieved many barn kitties, either found perished or just never came home. It’s why, when last year a little black feral kitten showed up on my porch, I declared her an inside only cat, and have enjoyed watching her grow safe from predators, cars etc.

But the grey striped tabby male Mr. O’Malley - huge, savvy & smart - had been 10 years an inside / outside cat, and though I worried each time I gave in to his clear demands & let him out each evening. Each morning, when I opened the shades, there he was on the porch chair, looking smug & contented, having a stretch, then asking to come in for some wet food & treats. Then a long nap on my bed. Each evening, I warned him of the dangers, begged him to be careful, and let him out.

I knew the risk that some morning, I’d open the shades… and he wouldn’t be there. I’m a farm woman, I know what can happen to a cat, even such a super cool, super smart, super huge guy like O’Malley.

I searched for him today, the usual places. Called, walked the big dog along the quiet country road - he could never resist the fun of joining a dog walk.

But nothing. And my heart is beginning to ache. Where are you, my O’Malley? I’m not ready to go on without my big grey striped man of this household. I still need you, O’Malley. Where are you…

2 Likes

I hope O’Malley shows up soon, safe and sound.

1 Like

Hugs. I hope he reappears for you.

1 Like

Are you anywhere that has had a lot of rain? My indoor/outdoor kitty once got trapped on the other side of the creek when it flooded. We didn’t see him for a few days and were frantic. I hope you find him soon.

1 Like

I hope sweet O’Malley comes home. There was a time that one of my kitties was gone for almost 3 days (which wasn’t like him at all). I was a mess and sure something had happened to him. Then he came back. Don’t give up hope.

1 Like

Our barn cat, Ralph, disappeared for 24 hours. Bothered me a lot. He came back limping with a swollen foot the next morning. A trip to the vet and he was better. It was from a bite. Here’s hoping your boy will come back with a minor wound and you can have an excuse to keep him in the house and baby him.

I found this cat age chart. It made me work on a way to make one of our barn cats an indoor cat.

1 Like

Did Mr O’Malley come home last night?

Jingles for his return!!

1 Like

Found O’Malley this am, crawled out from under barn in response to my calls, listless and depressed. Refusing water & food. Dehydrated & sunken in sides. Poison? Neighbors have been complaining of mole infestation…

Taking him to vet in 10 mins. This may be a euth guys… big lump I can’t swallow.

At least I have him back & we’ll know soon. Thank you for comments & jingles guys.

7 Likes

Fingers crossed that O’Malley will be OK. Hopefully the vet can help him. :heart:

1 Like

Poor boy! Hope he recovers. Maybe he’ll allow some nursing care and give up his wandering ways.

1 Like

Update, O’Malley got fluids, antibiotics, steroid shots, coming home for some nursing, crossing fingers. Labs taken to check kidney, liver function. Hoping our boy can bounce back!!

14 Likes

Hang in there old man! Keep us posted.

1 Like

Huge jingles for O’Malley!!

So glad he came out for you.

1 Like

Jingle jingle jingle Mr O’Malley! Sending good healing vibes your way.

1 Like

Update, O’Malley ate a little people tuna, drank a bit of milk on his own & was syringed some Miralax in water. Vet thinks constipated from the dehydration… so now am hopefully watching litter box (he is isolated from other 2 house kitties). He seems to be resting comfortably, just super quiet, NQR. But I have hope since he showed some interest in the food at last.

14 Likes

Jingling for him!!!

1 Like

I don’t understand why you would let your cat out at night against your better judgment.

1 Like

Honest question, I will try to explain. I have a small horse farm here in a farming community, and barn cats were always part of life here. Growing up long ago, cats were always allowed outside, so it seemed quite normal to let my cats out. Nowadays, I can’t bear the risk an outside cat may face, but I’ve found some cats are very unhappy & become increasingly discontented when kept in. O’Malley was kept in for a year but became increasingly unhappy. When we finally relented he was full of pure joy again. He lived 10 years thriving on the inside/outside cat lifestyle, so though I worried, I opted to keep him happy. I hope that helps put in perspective why I let him out. In future I hope to afford a huge screened catio!

10 Likes

Jingling for O’Malley! Hoping for a swift recovery.

And you do not need to be made to feel guilty for your decision. You did what was right for him and continue to do so.

7 Likes

Try giving him the water or oil drained off tuna or salmon. My cats love this. Also try meat based baby food. This has worked when all else failed in getting ailing dogs and cats to eat. The various broth type cat foods and treats are good for ailing appetites too. Hope Mr. O’Malley decides to stay inside from now on.

1 Like