Unlimited access >

Where should the $150k of prize money for KY go?

I saw a very well constructed argument on an upper level rider’s facebook post today by someone advocating for the $150,000 in prize money to not be given/accepted by riders/owners at Land Rover KY.

It does not seem like FEI is going to waive the requirement, and many people are arguing that accepting the money would be in poor taste to the grass roots members who raised it.

What do you think?

1 Like

Should be donated to the frangible pin fund!

17 Likes

Love this idea!

2 Likes

Maybe donate it to the local community, since they are the ones who will have to deal with the risks of having a bunch of travellers come. Or to KHP. Or split it between the two.

3 Likes

I was reading the most recent CoTH piece on this. They pay KHP $200k to rent the facility. Surely KHP could donate the use this year?

2 Likes

Definitely frangible fund!

1 Like

I don’t think that’s entirely fair. Maybe they could donate a portion, but they are like the rest of us in so far as not rolling in the dough. I’m sure they had multiple money making events cancelled last year, and need some cash flow.

5 Likes

They got government funding for last year…

As a local, I don’t think the KHP should donate the use. The KHP is a state facility that already operates in the red, and its (IMO) unfair to put that $200k burden on tax payers who have nothing to do with this event. I already donated, I don’t think I should have to pay more to see it run…

I also think it would be a cold day in hell before any of the big names, who are likely to be in the money, would donate the money back to anything based on their attitude about it running.

12 Likes

Ugh… this stuff combined with the MER drama is just making the divide bigger and bigger it seems.

3 Likes

I’ve seen some of the UL riders do nothing but complain about the lack of spectators. Not a single thing about being grateful it’s at least running or thankful to the grassroots and fans that helped fund it.

3 Likes

Really? Ugh. All the BNR statements I’ve seen have been very grateful that it’s running at all.

1 Like