Unlimited access >

Where to find wool FELT dressage girth?

My google-fu is failing me. I don’t want a wool fleece covered one, I want one with real wool felt & elastic. There are a lot of cinches, some for Aussie saddles, one for endurance (no elastic). I know the Aussie saddles have wider billets - don’t endurance saddles have the same?

Many years ago I purchased one from what I vaguely remember as an endurance focused, small online retailer. They essentially made it to order - you got to chose size of buckles, if you wanted elastic, both ends, one end, etc.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one. But you could always just have velcro added to a piece of felt and use it with any of the girths with removable liners like the Professionals Choice.

I know some makers of felt saddle pads that also make wool felt girths. Usually custom order, but they’re in Europe. I can can some more digging and see what I can find.

Maybe on Etsy? The makers around here are usually a one person shop type of place.

EquineNZ make lots of wool products. I have their dressage girths and really happy with them. Not sure if they are available in North America, but you could probably mail order from New Zealand or Australia.

This is made to go with their bareback pads, but it seems like it should work with a saddle as well?

1 Like

Yes, you can use them with a saddle more than likely, and usually when you contact these places they can make one to order in the color and size you want. Lots of “Filzschabracke” (felt saddle pad) places here in Germany can make you a pad and/or girth. I’m trying to find another that’ll ship int’l for the OP.

I’ve not used a felt girth but have 2 felt pads that I love.

1 Like

I found this brown “dressage type” felt girth aimed at endurance ridrs at a Canadian vendor online:
https://outbacksaddles.ca/store/endurance-felt-girth/

1 Like

Here; https://nickerssaddlery.com/products/sensation-ride-self-centering-girth

1 Like

I have been gone a while - thank you so much for your replies!

DawnJL - I saw that one but wasn’t sure if endurance girths had the same billet width as dressage. I know the Aussie saddles do not.

I finally somehow figured out that 9 yrs ago I ordered a felt girth from, of all places, Whinny Widgets (yes, the place that makes the laminated tests). You will laugh but it was actually the Nickers link that made me vaguely remember Whinny.

The self centering girth is interesting. has anyone used one? If the elastic is in the center, i would wonder if it would get weak without me paying attention. This is what happened with the girth I have now, but the elastic is near the buckles, so I see it.

I will decide and report back.

Thanks again

1 Like

I’m not sure, but the description called the girth “dressage style” and the saddles say “rigged with English style billets” so it may be worth asking the vendor if you can’t find a more obviously dressage girth option.