Unlimited access >

Where to get measured for custom boots in VA?

Hello everyone! I am new to posting in the forums but I have been a lurker for years. I recently came to VA for college and I am in need of field boots! Because I have a uniquely shaped calf (Ahem…cankles) I have tried on about every pair of off the rack boots the Charlottesville Dover has had in stock for months. No luck. I came VERY close to zipping up some Mountain Horse Supremes in a wide calf. It was truly a heart breaker.

Sooooo I think I am ready to go the custom route… as much as I do not want to be the one girl wearing half chaps for weeks at my super snooty school’s program.

Has anyone in VA recently gotten customs that they are SUPER satisfied with? If so…

[LIST=1]

• How much did you pay
  • How long did you wait?
  • Who exactly measured you?
  • Where did you get measured?
  • What brand did you order from?
  • Did you get any extra additions to your boots that you would recommend?
  • [/LIST]

Any and all tips/advice will be greatly appreciated!

• Your best bet would be to head up to WIHS at the Verizon Center Oct 22-27. They have Der Dau and Vogel shops set up there and those are probably the best people to measure you. Interestingly, they are also willing to negotiate price a bit more, as opposed to a tack shop who reps the custom brands.

You might want to post this in the hunting forum, too.

Chuck Pinnell. Hands down the best.

The Tack Box in Middleburg does a great job!

To answer your questions…
    1.How much did you pay? Vogel Young Rider Boot about $900 with all options
    2.How long did you wait? 12 weeks. 1/2 that time for extra $100
    3.Who exactly measured you? Berk At The Tack Box
    4.Where did you get measured? In the store
    5.What brand did you order from? Vogel
    6.Did you get any extra additions to your boots that you would recommend?

I got mine from the Tack Box as well.

Berk did a great job of measuring (you’ll need to call and set an appointment, though). I did have to send one of the boots back, but I think that was due to my body continuing to change after I had a baby than to a mismeasure.