Unlimited access >

Where to move?

I lived in N Alabama for a while. Near Tuscaloosa. Misery. Pottery style red clay that would swallow you whole and scary af tornadoes

ETA: we don’t have erosion / washout issues in my area now, but Tuscaloosa was bad for it if you had spots without strong turf. Presumably here it’s less issue cause it’s relatively flat and the high sand content allows things to drain. Arenas work super on the cheap too. Biggest problem is beating back the crabgrass

That’s a bonus!

He likes to fish (not eat it, just catch and release), and he’s a mechanic so cars consume his life as much as horses consume mine :rofl: He builds mud trucks as a hobby, but would also enjoy building a drag car to race (only reason he doesn’t now is they are $$$$). Whats the job market like?

I honestly don’t mind a bit of rain, after all I do like green stuff. It’s the combo of near constant rain PLUS cold PLUS nothing but overcast dark greyness for nearly half the year :grimacing: Its hard to describe if you’ve never lived in it but it wears you down over the years.

1 Like

My BIL and pops are both in trades, and self employed, they are doing really really well.

I’d say the job market is pretty good. I guess bigger cities might have more diverse opportunities?

It rains here but also lots of sun. And we bust out snow suits if temps drop below 50 :rofl::rofl:

I’m checking all the mentioned places out on realtor.com now :rofl: and then checking the job market in relation.

I did fail to mention that being nearish an airport is a plus, since DH would have to fly back here regularly if we don’t wait another 3+ years to move. If it were up to me I’d slap a for sale sign on this place tomorrow!

This was central-east, Montgomery/Auburn. Gumbo clay, shoe sucking misery.

1 Like

Nuthin good bout that area crept the proximity to vet school lol. I guess Evergreen would be worse.

Once you get away from the coastal plain, the clay is too dang sticky for my taste.

We got two. One in Mobile one in Pensacola.

And a smaller one in Ft Walton.

And a whole pile of little bitty airports

Have your husband look up Cruisin the Coast. You’ll be moved down in no time lol

I doubt it. You could commute into Charlotte but that’s a good hour and a half. Good place to live if you work remotely :slight_smile:

I think the biggest driving factor for east versus west is whether you want green, humid summers or brown, dry summers. :thinking:

1 Like

Don’t forget—unless this has changed—there’s no sales tax on groceries, clothing, or prescriptions in PA. Though I doubt those savings make up for the school taxes.