Unlimited access >

Where's the best place to advertise a horse for sale?

Hi Everyone,

This may have been asked before but when searching the forums, I couldn’t find anything related.

I was wondering where everyone has had the most luck when advertising their horse online. If you’ve had luck with FB groups, which ones did you use?

TIA!!!

I think the answer heavily depends upon what type of a horse you have for sale and where you’re located.

I have a hunter for sale in the mid-high 5 figures and have him advertised on Exchange Hunter/Jumper, Warmblood-Sales, COTH classifieds, and several FB groups. Almost all of my activity has come from the side marketing that Amber at Exchange HJ does on her FB page. And then a couple of folks have come over from the Thermal Classifieds FB page. I don’t think I’ve gotten anything from Warmblood-Sales, and the one person I got from COTH classifieds was surprised to learn that I’m in the PNW and didn’t want to look at a horse that far away (she was in FL).

So my answer is that if I were advertising a horse for <$25K I’d probably focus on (relatively) local FB pages (up here we’ve got a couple of NW FB pages and then also the Thermal Classifieds). For anything above that I think I’ll stick with the Exchange from this point forward.

When I was shopping I used:
Equinenow.com
dreamhorse.com
myhorseforsale.com
horsetopia.com
bigeq.com
equine.com

I also looked at Craigslist and Facebook groups and had a few potentials from those. But I was always more leery of those posts than the dedicated horse classified sites.

I have used Bigeq with great success. I have used one other sites as well but most sales have resulted directly from BigEq. Price range of the horses have ranged in the mid 5 figures to the low 6 figures.

I agree that it depends very much on what you have to sell. I’ve been shopping for months, and would say Exchange has a high percentage of upper 5 figure and 6 figures horses, and is less of a go-to spot for the below $50k horse. BigEq for sure if it is a show horse or well started prospect (some 20-40k horses, lots of $40k & up) - their website and FB pages are what I look at most often as a buyer. The Just Hunters, Jumpers and Equitation Horses FB group is one I also look at, and it seems to get a lot of traffic. I also check warmblood-sales.com and equine.com but I find a wider range of quality and prices on those sites so it takes some weeding out (I’m shopping for an adult hunter to show).

I bought my horse from an ad on facebook. It was in the NCHJA facebook page and they allow horse sale ads. I would recommend it mainly because you can tag people (like trainers) in the comments of the ad so they can view it as well.
I also like bigeq, dreamhorse, and equinenow.
It was also really easy to contact the buyer because it was just through facebook.
Can’t comment on what it’s like to sell through Facebook though.
Id recommend advertising through local (state or zone) hunter jumper or horse sale groups.
Oh also, please don’t say “inquire for price” because it made it so much easier to scroll down to the next horse. Id rather know right away how much the horse is than having to contact the seller to find out. That was just a pet peeve of mine on Facebook.

1 Like

proequest.com
bigeq.com
exchangehunterjumper.com
dreamhorse

if you’re on the west coast the Thermal Classifieds on FB

[QUOTE=HDuckie;8390012]

Oh also, please don’t say “inquire for price”[/QUOTE]

boy, totally agree with this! always wondered WHY people would say that anyway… who wants to answer a bunch of people asking the same question, “how much/”. I’ve got better things to do with my time than that.

[QUOTE=luvdogz72;8390234]
boy, totally agree with this! always wondered WHY people would say that anyway… who wants to answer a bunch of people asking the same question, “how much/”. I’ve got better things to do with my time than that.[/QUOTE]

Because the horse world is small and you may want to keep your horse’s price private.

I have used dreamhorse, horseclicks, equine.com and proequest. Good sites that are decently easy to navigate for the user, which is important.

boy, totally agree with this! always wondered WHY people would say that anyway… who wants to answer a bunch of people asking the same question, “how much/”. I’ve got better things to do with my time than that.[/QUOTE]

I do agree with this, but the answer I heard was that the price can change as training/show miles increase. I feel that I weed through a lot less tire kickers by just putting the price.

Agree; even if not THE number, give a range or and over/under or “mid-five figures,” anything to give a ballpark.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. :slight_smile:

I’m trying to sell an adult hunter/ eq horse but I’ve been getting almost no response from the ads I’ve posted so I figured it might help to find where everyone shops for sale horses (and what you like to see in ads). I think my biggest problem is I’m selling a 15.3 hand mare…she’s cute, has an awesome jump, and very reasonably priced (I have put her price on all her ads) but it seems everyone wants 16+ up here in New England.

If you/your trainer haven’t already done this, it might be worth reaching out to some of the trainers in the area to let them know about her. You never know when you’ll call and they will have someone who just starting looking!

[QUOTE=jumper409;8393901]
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. :slight_smile:

I’m trying to sell an adult hunter/ eq horse but I’ve been getting almost no response from the ads I’ve posted so I figured it might help to find where everyone shops for sale horses (and what you like to see in ads). I think my biggest problem is I’m selling a 15.3 hand mare…she’s cute, has an awesome jump, and very reasonably priced (I have put her price on all her ads) but it seems everyone wants 16+ up here in New England.[/QUOTE]

Kids coming off ponies often are ready for small junior hunters I would think; and don’t rule out adult ammy’s especially if the horse is not narrow and can take up more leg. I’m in the west though…so what’s in may be different. If she’s got a great temperment I’d espcially market that for the kids off ponies or adults wanting to jump 3". Make sure you have good pictures and a very good video. :slight_smile: Good luck.

Problem is on fb you can’t put price or your ad gets rejected.

This topic is eight years old.

1 Like