Unlimited access >

Which is a safer ride for the horse - van or trailer?

I’m thinking about replacing my 2 horse bumper pull trailer and have heard a lot of comments lately about the safety of horse vans. We were involved in an accident years ago (with no injuries, except to the trailer) so safety is a hot button for me. I’ll be hauling one or two horses. Any experiences you can share?

I’ve seen both in mishaps. Neither, IMO, is inherently safer than the other.

“Bigger is better” is mostly true, here, so keep that in mind.

The safest vehicle is the one in the hands of the most careful driver.

G.

I wonder if you need a special license to drive the van? Is there a pic of the van?

I think one of the most dangerous things about towing a trailer is that other drivers only see the truck. They don’t take into account the trailer when they do boneheaded things like pull out in front of you. If you’re in a big van they may have more respect.

[QUOTE=csaper58;8313378]
I wonder if you need a special license to drive the van? Is there a pic of the van?

I think one of the most dangerous things about towing a trailer is that other drivers only see the truck. They don’t take into account the trailer when they do boneheaded things like pull out in front of you. If you’re in a big van they may have more respect.[/QUOTE]
Trust me there are plenty of people that don’t respect 18 wheelers. Nobody wants to be “stuck” behind the horse trailer or truck so they jump in front of them or cut them off. Most people have no idea of the stopping distance required for a box truck or truck/trailer or tractor/trailer compared to a car.

I don’t think having a horse van versus a truck and horse trailer will provide you with any more respect.

I personally view a truck and horse trailer to be more versatile. I use my truck for picking up hay, straw, gravel, bulk mulch, moving manure, taking yard waste to the center, picking up drywall or plywood etc…
In our area a 4 wheel drive is just about an absolute. I have had to park in plenty of wet fields or horse pastures for horse shows, trail rides, paper chases, foxhunting. I can then use the truck in the snow to get to work, barn, storm. I have yet to see an 4 wheel drive horse van and would worry about getting it stuck in one of those field.
I also had to take a horse to New Bolton on a really snowy day. I drove slowly but had the truck in 4 wheel drive the entire time. I am guessing a horse van is rear wheel drive and would suck in snow. However snow and wet fields may not be a concern where you are.
I know a number of horses that would not want to load up the steeper ramps on the horse vans.

I would assume that if you are hit by another vehicle since the horse compartment is higher you would be less likely to get an intrusion into the horse compartment. However with the higher center of gravity I wonder if you have a greater risk of roll over in an accident if you are hit by a bigger vehicle. So I am not much help with regards to OPs orginal question.

Maintaining and driving one of those old school horse vans is a really different proposition than is your little two horse.

I think they do make them new (for a lot of money), but the used ones are cheap to buy… and expensive to drive and maintain. Plus, it’s a dedicated vehicle. You’ll have a lot of money tied up in a vehicle you won’t use for much else. And you’ll need to get into a different class of mechanic for it.

I love those vans and I think horses ride well in them. I have always wanted one (as have many HOs) but looking into these kinds of details put me off that plan. I think Frank Dibella (sp?) in PA is the source for horse vans in the US.

Plus, when you go re-sell it, you will find a smaller number of buyers for those.

depends on who is driving.

And Tom King beat me to it. And he is correct. The emphasis in either is having a well-designed, well-built model. Then, as we all know, we just drive as defensively as possible.

Sorry you had the terrible experience of an accident!! Glad everyone was ok; I have many miles under my belt, but it never makes the people around you any smarter, does it?