Unlimited access >

Which route to take as we head south from Lexington?

This Sunday DH and I plan on trailering our two mares south from MI to Lexington where we will layover one night and then on Monday head off to N. Carolina. (Sold our MI horse property and we are now moving on to our new horse set up in NC)

We will driving on I 75 for most of this two day trip. I have some trepidation about hauling the trailer over the mountain passes that 75 takes as it goes into Tenn. Lots of big trucks, and, of course, no way to get off the freeway if something were to occur with our truck or trailer. (Trailer and tires were checked over back in Feb. in anticipation of this trip. Truck with new tires was also checked over at our Chevy dealers more recently.)

DH and I have driven over the mountain passes on Hi 25 which is an alternate route. It is mainly four lanes with side roads. I like this route because a driver could find a side road if an emergency occurs. That’s not going to happen on 75 heading into Tenn.

For those of you who haul horses into N Carolina, what route do you prefer? DH plans on using 75 because it is less curvy and quicker. I am thinking about worse case scenarios. I am always worried. Any advice will be appreciated!