Unlimited access >

White Breeches in Jumpers

So what do you guys think… should white breeches in the jumper ring only be reserved for Grad Prixs or Classics higher than 1 meter in A shows? Do you change from tan breeches in the earlier classes to white just for the classic?

They should only be used for classics or FEI classes, but the height doesn’t matter. And no, I wear them all day if I’m going to need them later.

Wearing them in a <3’ class strikes me, along with the matchy matchy ear bonnets, saddle pads, polos, fancy head gear, as a bit pretentious. Like a shad belly in a 2’3" Hunter class.

Plus they are impractical if you are on a tight budget- need a couple of pairs easy that could pay for more lessons.

Hey mods? Why am I getting “access denied” up top where it was saying " e mail address verified? And can’t open threads without logging in? On my usual device with long time e mail addy?

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a class lower than 3’ that would call for whites in the first place, now that I think about it. Even the low children’s jumpers are bigger than that.

Any classic, regardless of height… though as SS said, there’s not a division below 3’ which requires them. If you have a class earlier in the day (even hunters or equitation) wear them for that too.

[QUOTE=iEquitate;7139504]
Any classic, regardless of height… though as SS said, there’s not a division below 3’ which requires them. If you have a class earlier in the day (even hunters or equitation) wear them for that too.[/QUOTE]

That’s what DD does - unless there is a long enough break to change into them after the first class. She is a dirt magnet.

[QUOTE=findeight;7139416]
Hey mods? Why am I getting “access denied” up top where it was saying " e mail address verified? And can’t open threads without logging in? On my usual device with long time e mail addy?[/QUOTE]

This was address over in the Help forum :slight_smile:

I agree - classics and prixes (FEI, grand prixes, and mini prixes).

But no way do I wear mine all day! I am WAY too messy for that! Usually my white-breeches-classes are at the end of the day, and so I wear my usual beige breeches for my other horses/classes and then change before the walk. The only exception is when there’s no time to change in which case I’ll wear them and just cope with having to walk into the big class looking like I just crawled through a muddy obstacle course :lol:

If I was only riding a single horse, on the other hand, and had a class before the classic, I would wear them for both.

[QUOTE=PNWjumper;7140214]
I agree - classics and prixes (FEI, grand prixes, and mini prixes).

But no way do I wear mine all day! I am WAY too messy for that! Usually my white-breeches-classes are at the end of the day, and so I wear my usual beige breeches for my other horses/classes and then change before the walk. The only exception is when there’s no time to change in which case I’ll wear them and just cope with having to walk into the big class looking like I just crawled through a muddy obstacle course :lol:

If I was only riding a single horse, on the other hand, and had a class before the classic, I would wear them for both.[/QUOTE]

See, I have these really cool (not) pants from IHSA Nationals that snap all the way up the sides, so I tend to wear those over my whites and then unsnap them right before the course walk. That way, I stay clean… or at least cleaner than I would be otherwise.

White Breeches and formal wear for hunter classics.

For many, many Children and Adults the 3’ Classics, NAL, M/S ect are the highest level classes they will get to show in. I think for many it has been a year long goal to compete in those classics and wear the formal wear that is allowed.

The judges do not seem to penalize those not in formal wear at the 3’ level. For the adult that works full time, budgets all year for lessons and the show, wearing a shad belly or white breeches in a C/A Jumper classic makes it all seem a bit more special.

If you get a pichture in a victory gallop it is a dream, if you just get a nice shot at the landscaped sign it is still worth the dry cleaning. And a good goal for next year.

^ Buff breeches and a navy/black/dark green hunt coat are also formal attire, so can’t penalize for that.

Ha, this thread brings to mind a horse show years ago. Was in the M&S Classic at a smaller A-rated show. I did not have on white breeches but had on a white shirt and navy jacket. The mother of another competitor complained that I was not wearing white breeches… I guess her trainer had said that was a requirement. I have to laugh because while her daughter had white pants she was wearing a bright blue shirt, not light colored at all and no white on the cuffs or collar. I was upset at the time, now it is just ammusing, as according to the rule book I could have passed as formal and she could not.