Unlimited access >

WHITE HORSE WINTER SHOW PREP??

I have always had bays… this year, I purchased a pinto and a grey. Both (of course) get very dirty and we show all winter. This is obviously my first winter with so much white… I’m wondering how you all prep yours for shows… I try sponge bathing but now its too cold… rubbing alcohol, waterless shampoo… none seem to work. Best that works for me is the Cowboy Magic green spot remover… but that really is more of a spot remover. Wondering how you all get your white show ready ? :slight_smile:

I would think Body clipping would be a great help. One of my current horses is a chestnut with 4 white socks. I think Miracle Groom Spray helps keep her from getting her socks too stained.

This thread had some good tips. http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?483676-How-Do-You-to-Keep-Your-Horse-Clean-in-the-Winter

Are they turned out regularly? Muddy, dry, grass conditions?

It’s a bit late now, but I’d definitely give them a thorough scrubbing head to tail with purple shampoo before it got too cold. Then bundle them up in waterproof sheets, blankets, anything as much as possible. Definitely pick stalls whenever you can if they’re like my horse an love to lay in their own pee. :o

I love cowboy magic. Unfortunately, once they’re dirty, they’re dirty. Strongly suggest body clipping, if you can. With a winter coat definitely DON’T use that white spray, but I’m wondering if baby powder would work decently with a longer coat?

Dye them another color.

My gray pony currently looks like a cheeto. I’m pretty sure it’s not coming off any time soon.

[QUOTE=enp082;8486761]
I have always had bays… this year, I purchased a pinto and a grey. Both (of course) get very dirty and we show all winter. This is obviously my first winter with so much white… I’m wondering how you all prep yours for shows… I try sponge bathing but now its too cold… rubbing alcohol, waterless shampoo… none seem to work. Best that works for me is the Cowboy Magic green spot remover… but that really is more of a spot remover. Wondering how you all get your white show ready ? :)[/QUOTE]

It really is true if you curry regularly the stains will wipe off way easier. Activate those natural oils in the coat. Get a rubber mitt that goes over your whole hand - forget a little hard curry; the mitt is way more effective and less work. Keep brushes clean. And finally get a lambswool grooming mitt. That will really bring out the shine and protective oils.

Good luck, I remember having a grey:) Baby wipes are great for stains and the green spot remover. Still, there were times we resorted to that Touch up white show spray and or baby powder. Just make sure you get the spray off after the show.

1. Bathe with blue shampoo
  2. Body Clip
  3. Keep tails braided and bagged
  4. Blanket with neck covers
  5. Curry everyday to bring oils to the surface of coat that repel stains
  6. Hot towel to remove stains as often as possible
    7.Pick stall often

I’ve been blessed with the joys of owning a grey for 9 years

Your caps lock key must be sticky :wink:

My best tips for the whites and grey’s would be body clipping, clean stall and vacuums. Voodoo can also help :smiley:

they are body clipped as well :frowning:

[QUOTE=Soaponarope;8487279]
It really is true if you curry regularly the stains will wipe off way easier. Activate those natural oils in the coat. Get a rubber mitt that goes over your whole hand - forget a little hard curry; the mitt is way more effective and less work. Keep brushes clean. And finally get a lambswool grooming mitt. That will really bring out the shine and protective oils.

Good luck, I remember having a grey:) Baby wipes are great for stains and the green spot remover. Still, there were times we resorted to that Touch up white show spray and or baby powder. Just make sure you get the spray off after the show.[/QUOTE]

great idea… I will definitely try the mitt as well :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=LittleLegsBigStride;8486816]
Are they turned out regularly? Muddy, dry, grass conditions?

It’s a bit late now, but I’d definitely give them a thorough scrubbing head to tail with purple shampoo before it got too cold. Then bundle them up in waterproof sheets, blankets, anything as much as possible. Definitely pick stalls whenever you can if they’re like my horse an love to lay in their own pee. :o

I love cowboy magic. Unfortunately, once they’re dirty, they’re dirty. Strongly suggest body clipping, if you can. With a winter coat definitely DON’T use that white spray, but I’m wondering if baby powder would work decently with a longer coat?[/QUOTE]

They are turned out everyday in a maybe 1/2 acre paddock… dry conditions… they are grass paddocks but im in NY so mainly dead grass now :slight_smile: Not muddy conditions though… the grey especially just knows how to hit all of the dirt patches haha. They are already body clipped. My main issue on the gray is his face and neck. Every morning, his left side of his face is pure brown :yes:

[QUOTE=Simbalism;8486791]
I would think Body clipping would be a great help. One of my current horses is a chestnut with 4 white socks. I think Miracle Groom Spray helps keep her from getting her socks too stained.[/QUOTE]

Miracle Groom is legit. I can get days old dirt stains up to 90% gone with it.