Unlimited access >

Whitmore Day

Anybody else going to Oaklawn this weekend? I’m looking forward to it and hope the weather is nice. Will enjoy seeing Whitmore for his retirement celebration.

Can’t make it to Oaklawn, but I will be watching on TV. Such a good horse, and his people seem so decent.

Good Bloodhorse article:

Apparently he is a pretty tough customer, which probably explains his gelding status. It will be interesting to see how he responds to the ceremony.

1 Like

I was hoping for more coverage of Whitmore Day on TVG, but the need to cover for the betting public dominated. We just got a few quick looks, but he looked darn good.

@dressagetraks, I hope you can give us a more detailed report.

I too was hoping for a bit more camera time.
They did mention that he still is doing things his own way & Laura has been working with Whitmore, hoping to enter him in the 2022 thoroughbred makeover.

He looked great. He was a bit restless at times while just standing there in the infield waiting for the others to get riders up and the post parade to begin. Started pawing a few times. The rider was very soothing and tuned in to him. He was probably wondering if he was going to race. He did have a pony with him throughout his appearance, not with the outrider holding on, but alongside as a security blanket.

The commemorative Whitmore Day T-shirt the track gave out 2000 of is quite nice, too, and is not white, to my relief. White as a shirt color when you have a farm just doesn’t work, not even for “off farm” clothes.

Great weather, great day overall.

2 Likes

There are some good pictures on his FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/Whitmore-112593487085676/photos/pcb.490835809261440/490835675928120

1 Like