Unlimited access >

Who *currently* has a SOUND dressage horse over 15?

I am so sorry. :frowning_face:

There are Morgans competing 2nd and up at older ages. The one I know best is Owlwood Wild Valentine, who is just 15 but competing at 4th and PSG. (He was bred by my mare’s former farrier.) I think Mythic Juma, whose owner sometimes posts here, and has the same sire as my mare, was in his late teens and doing FEI levels when she retired him. Canequins Local Hero is another who did higher levels into his 20s. He will be 28 this year if he’s still alive, which I’m pretty sure he is. And so forth. Morgans often just keep going and going.

2 Likes

Yeah. I showed a Morgan stallion at 28. I think 24/25 he was still showing PSG with his owner.

1 Like

LOL, well I sold the horse to a friend; but he took me to PSG at the age of 11. Due to significant lifestyle changes I had to sell him when he was 14. I chose to sell him to a friend who boards him with another friend, all local so I know his care intimately and see him regularly. He turns 25 this June and is still sound. He has earned me and two additional people our silver medals (so scores at least 60 and above). Nothing to write home about, in terms of being a showstopper, but he has always been sound and willing to give his rider what they’re asking and capable of keeping you in the ribbons. He is a section D Welsh Cob. I’ve got another Welsh Cob, section C, who I also competed through PSG (scores in the 60s) who is retired at age 22. This was due to kissing spines but still serviceably sound for trail riding. He simply earned his ‘retirement’ and an opportunity from a friend who needed a companion pony for her retired Budweiser Clydesdale presented itself and I couldn’t pass it up. They make a cute couple. Clearly not the ‘bloodlines’ you’re looking for but I tend to color outside of the lines often :wink:

7 Likes

I have a coming 17 year old mare that I evented (as her first career) and now am showing at 3rd level (schooling 4th). Not sure if that qualifies as “serious” as stated in your post. She is a Trakehner Tb cross—really bred to be a hunter. I still jump her regularly and do an event with her at least once a season. She is on Adequan and that is it. No injections (yet) and no other supplements. She is on the petite side—and I think smaller horses tend to be easier on themselves. We have an 18 hander that I am always crossing my fingers that he stays sound. He has had some soundness problems and he weighs 1600 lbs (not overweight—just huge) —which has to put some stress on his joints!

Got my bronze on this mare last year and we are schooling sequence changes. She is a lovely jumper, not a floaty mover, but very sound (knocking on wood now). Her canter is her power gait and that has served us well for dressage once we moved past 1st level.

3 Likes

Loving this thread!
Mine is sound at 17, competing at EM this year (US equivalent is 3rd). He is an Appaloosa x Belgian wb (with serious jumping genetics).

He is looked after by a highly-regarded sport vet team, and he has hock and coffin joint maintenance every 9 months or so.

I’ve had him since he was 5, but it’s only in the last few years that real training of a mid-level dressage horse has clicked for me. So I’m happy to hear stories of the older ones, it gives me hope that Odin can be in training for another few years. But how I wish I could rewind and buy him all over again…

1 Like

Me! He’s 16, we moved up to 4th last year and got our silver medal 4th level scores. This year I plan to hopefully show all the 4th level tests (4th 3 is a big jump) and school PSG.
He lives out in a 50 acre field full time, hacks and jumps every week, and is a notorious firecracker with bottomless energy.
He has (knock on wood) never had ANY maintenance except a course of Adequan last year. When we flexed him then he was a 0 except for one hind that my vet pronounced a “.5 - wouldn’t even mention it on a PPE.”
Er, but he is not what most dressage peeps consider acceptable breeding - he’s a perch/tb cross. Shortcoupled, uphill, and very strong.

6 Likes

Perhaps more people should look beyond “but I gotta get a continental WB”

7 Likes

I actually love this and wish there were more. And of course these “bloodlines” matter. Yes, I was initially thinking of WB bloodlines, but sound lines in any breed that can make it to FEI are relevant here!

1 Like

In all fairness (to me), I haven’t ever had a continental WB and every single one has physically broken down early due to either genetics or treatment/work they did before I owned them. Facing retirement of my current horse, I am at this point wondering if there are any horses who can make it comfortably to old age. I know I’m exaggerating but forgive me, I’m at a low moment. That’s why this thread is so encouraging.

6 Likes

I have one, too! 15 years old, trained to and competed GP in Europe before I bought him. Currently teaching me how to advance my riding (hopefully) to HIS level.

Genetics has a lot to do with soundness, but IMO more important is correct, classical riding and training. We begin and end every ride with a good deep, round stretch over the back and neck. This horse had the absolutely cleanest X-rays my coach and I have ever seen on a horse, young or aged. Good open spinal processes and great legs.

Sire: Don Diamond
Dam: Zuchtbuch Fabrice

4 Likes

Not current, but I had a Weltmeyer grandson who competed competitively at I-1 when he was 18. (Maybe he was far enough removed from Weltmeyer to not have significant soundness issues?) He started out as an A-circuit hunter and then I got him for dressage. He had twice a year hock injections for most of his time with me and not much else maintenance wise. He semi-retired to the school master life for 4 years until he was fully retired due to a bone spur on his stifle. We let him go last december due to strangulating lipomas. He was still sound up until that point running around like a nut ball with his miniature donkey friend. You would never know he was in his 20s as he never acted his age till that last day.

2 Likes

I’m so very sorry. What a terrible shock.

I’m so very sorry

My coming 16 year-old Friesian/TB, other than hock injections, is sound and enthusiastic in our 4th level work. He is small, by today’s standards, at 16hh.

1 Like

My condolences on your loss. We lost two fantastic welsh cobs this year, one was 20 and died on the table due to colic. He too was completely sound though not competing in dressage. The other was 16 and completely sound competing 4th/schooling PSG and died from a lightning strike. 2022 was a very tough year on our welsh cob contingent.

2 Likes

My Timo showed Grand Prix at 21 and was very sound w minimal maintenance. Our last GP was our best score at 65.8%. And I am truly an AA w no special skills :slight_smile: He was truly a very special one. At 20 yrs old we finished 10th at AA GP at the 2021US Dressage Finals.

7 Likes

I’m so sorry. Feel your sorrow and pain.

I’m glad your post is cheering you up, OP. I was going to point out that most of the Olympic dressage horses are 15 or older when they get there. I know some are younger, but they are competing at that level for years to qualify and can’t be on any medications, so I’d say they’re pretty sound. I think the other thread is giving people the wrong idea. Yes, a lot of breeders are breeding for that flashy uber-movement, and it can and does cause soundness issues, but I don’t think all horses all break down early on. That’s hyperbole. JMHO

4 Likes

I would be interested in getting the answer to the more pessimistic question as well: how many horses do coth posters know who could not physically make it past 2nd level due to soundness. And if known, was the major contributor genetics, training, or unrelated injury?

2 Likes