Unlimited access >

Who do you Pivo?

I’m getting desperate to find a regular trainer for dressage lessons, I have a Pivo and I’m totally fine with virtual lessons. We have some excellent local trainers but I have a mon to Fri job and most lesson slots are in the middle of my work day and weekend slots are booked.

I’m looking for a nice dressage trainer who doesn’t mind a out of shape ammy riding a couple ponies and can do Pivo lessons on weeknights or even weekends. I thought this would be a great opportunity for me to meet trainers who would normally be too far away.

Who do you ride with that does Pivo lessons? I know the technology isn’t for everyone.

1 Like

My coach moved from my area to the DC area for her husband’s military job, and I continue to lesson with her weekly through PIVO. I tend to ride with her early mornings or weekends.
She rides with Val Pride in MD - I can send you her info via PM!

How do you do virtual Pivo lessons? What kind of headset do you need to be able to hear and communicate with your coach? I’m using Pivo Play right now for myself but I’m assuming you need a different app for this?

I use Pivo cast and a set of bone conduction headphones with good range. You need a set of headphones with 5.0 or greater because they allow the best range. I can leave my newer smart phone in the middle of my 100 X 200 foot ring and they stay connected. I like the bone conduction because they sit in front of your ear and wrap around your neck so you never lose them and they let you hear outside noises.

2 Likes

I can tell you that my regular trainer does it on her laptop and she can see well enough to talk about how I hold my fingers on my reins… so you can’t hide just because its virtual.

2 Likes

Dumb question but is your coach able to hear you communicating back to her?

Yep! I can have a full conversation with her while I ride

1 Like

So does your headphones you use (the bone conduction ones) have a microphone on it?

It has a built in microphone

Ok thanks, I may have to look into one of these!

1 Like

I use Pivo + and Powerbeats ear buds. The quality of sound is so good it’s as if my trainer is standing in the arena with me. The better the cellular service, the better the video quality will be on their end.

It’s so much better than searching for my earbud in the arena sand when it flies out of my ear!

2 Likes

I could imagine! I hate things stuck into my ear and was constantly fussing with ear buds cuz they were always getting loose. This past winter I was using a Bluetooth headband that fit nicely under my helmet. It works great and I can still hear things around me but doesn’t have a microphone.

Once we get a ring established, we plan on doing it with our old coach (Daryl Kinney). We are excited to get it all sorted out!

I’m also a fan of the bone conduction headphones, with a built in mic and Bluetooth they work great for Pivo lessons.

Years ago I used to lesson with a trainer who liked to use a headset and I had a pair of sport earbuds and hated that they would inevitably fall out. Haven’t had any issues with the bone conduction headphones.

1 Like

Which ones do you have?

Which one do you have?

Not the OP but I have AfterShokz Aeropex and have been happy with them, except they are a bit too big for me and stand out from my head/neck more than I’d like.

I bought them on sale last fall and at the time the ‘mini’ wasn’t in stock. I’d measure and see if these would fit better: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L615DRD/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A1DRSLFMYKF9A2&th=1

Great, thanks! I was looking at the AfterShokz models but there seemed to be quite a few.

I have a pair of Aftershokz that I picked up at Costco.