Unlimited access >

Who do you use to train with around Franklin TN?

I’m looking for a Hunter trainer in the Franklin, TN area that attends the “No Frills” shows at Brownland, as well as other rated shows. I’d like to haul in for lessons, possibly staying overnight so I can lesson two days in a row. I am an advanced adult rider with a green horse. Any suggestions/recommendations?

David Wright with Hunters Court Stables though I’m not sure how long he’ll be around to be honest. However his assistant trainers are great. Brownland itself has some good trainers. Some trainers in Memphis and Knox also go to the Bland shows.

David Wright is definitely the best. I would train with him or buy a horse from him anyday. I have seen Stephanie Hall from Woodbridge (I think?) Stables and she seems pretty solid too. But I think she has a lot of pony kids.

Hunters Court is good because although David doesn’t go to the Brownland No Frills shows, one or both of the assistant trainers (who are very capable) always go. David does the away shows, and Matt and Amy take care of the more local shows.

But I’m not sure that David is currently accepting new students to train with him due to the circumstances. I did however buy a horse from them and trust them completely and would not hesitate to train with them.

Brass Lantern Farm!!!

I’ m at HC every day, and it seems to be business as usual, but the OP can always call and ask.

What ‘circumstances’ are you all talking about at Hunters Court? I have only met David once when he was hauling horses, and picked up a horse from my barn. I dont think I’d mind training with an assistant trainer…so I am still considering it. I just dont need to be thrown in with a bunch of pony kids, ya know?

Where is it?

Sent you a PM. They do a good job keeping the adults and pony kids separate. I’d go crazy if they didn’t! Riding with adults is a big part of what keeps me happy and sane.

[QUOTE=pony4me;7094278]
I’ m at HC every day, and it seems to be business as usual, but the OP can always call and ask.[/QUOTE]

That’s good to hear. All the pros at HC are some of my favorite and of the few I truly respect for their methods anymore.

[QUOTE=JenkinDVM;7095237]
What ‘circumstances’ are you all talking about at Hunters Court? I have only met David once when he was hauling horses, and picked up a horse from my barn. I dont think I’d mind training with an assistant trainer…so I am still considering it. I just dont need to be thrown in with a bunch of pony kids, ya know?[/QUOTE]

David was diagnosed with a brain tumor in March and had surgery back in April or May.

However, I don’t think hunterrider’s concerns about him “not being around for awhile” (a terrible thing to say, really!) are founded. He’s tough as nails and an excellent horseman. If you know him, you’d that he’s been showing everywhere—I think he’s been in Kentucky the past few weeks, Brownland before that, etc.

Well personally if I had a brain tumor then I would probably take a few months off. My hopes are definitely that he’ll pull through god willing, he’s a great person.

David looks as good as ever and has some watchful eyes making sure he’s taking care of himself.

If David took a few months (or even days) off, he’d go crazy. It’s like turning the old show horse out in the field, you know?

That said, I have heard that he may not be accepting new students right now, but Stephanie at Woodridge Farm (who also has lots of adults) and Matt and Amy at HC are also fantastic. I would have a lesson with Matt any day even though he’s an assistant pro, so worth checking out for sure.

I think any barn in this area has a mix of pony kids and adults.

My farm might be a good fit for you. I have several adult clients with green horses. We attend most local shows, and I also have clients who haul in for lessons. I have been in the area teaching/training for a number of years, but my current location is relatively new. I live on the property, which has a 150x300 all weather ring, 1.5 mile conditioning track, river access, 103+ acres, and a 20 stall barn.

Feel free to check us out online (my signature) and let me know if you’d like to come see the farm.

[QUOTE=Andrew;7094222]
Brass Lantern Farm!!![/QUOTE]

I don’t think it’s there any more, is it?

[QUOTE=Midge;7110998]
I don’t think it’s there any more, is it?[/QUOTE]

I didn’t think so, either. :confused:

[QUOTE=ParadoxFarm;7111112]
I didn’t think so, either. :confused:[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, it’s not there anymore. I hope the OP found a nice place.

And from David’s Facebook status today, "To dispel some untrue gossip I have heard lately: Regarding my condition, as Mark Twain said, “The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated!” I’m doing great, riding and teaching, showing both hunters and jumpers at Kentucky (one jumper that I’m close to doing in a Grand Prix!), and preparing to show 2 awesome horses at Derby Finals next week! Life with the Hunters Court Team is good!!!

Brass Lantern Farm is now a subdivision and has been for a few years. Brownie moved to Kentucky.

Brownie moved yrs ago!!!