Unlimited access >

Who has posted a saddle ad and attracted scammers?

So I posted my saddle ad to some sites (paid and free) and I seem to have attracted the scammers.

How long should I string them along? I currently have one who is “satisfied with it” and wants to pay by cashier’s check. I told him that the cashier’s check would have to clear my bank prior to saddle shipment and that the wait could be 10-14 days.

Should I notify anyone? I have a Mac so I’m not too concerned that he can hack my email. I haven’t given any personal information.

The last scammer said he was “on sea” and it was a gift for his wife and then he signed the email as Beverly.

The evil side of me wants to string him along until he just gives up, but one side of me worries that he is smarter than I give him credit for.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Whenever possible, I do not put my regular e-mail address but put (at) in place of @. That tends to discourage the auto scammers!! At least I think so.

You are likely to get these almost any time you post an item of some value for sale. Heck, I got them on an ad for a horse that was being given away for free. I just ignore them.

List any ad for anything anywhere and you will get more scammers than you can imagine. I generally swear at them in a reply and move on.

This dude actually wants me to send him my address so he can send the check. Really? I’m thinking about sending my work address. I think I’ll change all of my passwords.

Don’t send anything, just delete it and move on. You don’t need to change your passwords.

[QUOTE=shadytrake;7375621]
This dude actually wants me to send him my address so he can send the check. Really? I’m thinking about sending my work address. I think I’ll change all of my passwords.[/QUOTE]

You could alway send him: 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington DC

:slight_smile:

I have a saddle currently listed on several sites. Have gotten several scammers so far. IF they ask any question besides “what is your final price” I will answer them (ie is there any damage, how long is flap, or some other saddle-appropriate question). Otherwise they go to trash.
One site has a request that you forward these to a specific address. They then ban the scammer email address from further activity.