Unlimited access >

Who Services Their Tractor at Home

I remember reading there are a few of you out there? I use my JD 3320 once a day and FEL to load and dump manure and doing composting.

The tractor needs several fluid changes: oil (which we’ve done easily), but also now transmission and hydraulic and a thorough gone over, right? It’s at 800 hrs and has not had those other two changes.

Do any of you do all that work at home?

DH does all the tractor fluids but you have to balance between the cost of your time and effort including disposal of the old fluid. (The hydraulic fluid is measured in gallons, do you have a drain pan that big and a way to transport it to a recycling place?)

He elected to have someone else replace the front seals that were leaking. (driveshaft I think?) Not that he couldn’t do it, but it would have required buying a couple of special tools we do not already own, plus his time and evicting one of the trucks from its place in the garage. (We don’t have a separate “workshop” for farm equipment.) That tipped the scales towards paying someone else.

I’ve done some other fluid changes on my 23-HP Kubota and did not find it much more complicated than an oil change. We can dispose of fluids at the local recycling center for free. I bought a service manual online and order filters etc from Messicks. I do like to have someone other than myself look it over every couple years though.

1 Like

JD has a program here where they will come do a maintenance service once a year, fall into winter generally as that is their shop’s lighter work load for $99, plus parts.

Check with your local JD about it, is sure worth the money.

1 Like

Hubby services out tractors for oils and seals, lights and things like that, however if it is something major the tractors are split in two and that is for an expert with the knowledge, tools, experience etc.

When we go there, there is usually at least one tractor split in two. Sometimes there are two.

We were just charged $1000 for our annual service by the JD dealership (included blade sharpening on a mower, oil change, and fixing a ground plus the 8ish miles of transport each way to their shop)… SO was not impressed. $99 plus parts sounds amazing.

1 Like

We also had a couple bad experiences w our local JD dealer - sloppy work. But love Bluey’s idea of what’s possible to have someone come here. We have a local reasonably priced tractor guy and will see if they’ll make a farm call. If not, based on all the replies here I agree we’ll put her on the trailer
and haul over to them.

I sure do appreciate knowing what all you do though.

that’s good to know Libby. Maybe in retirement we’ll do more of the maintenance.

I do all of my tractor service. I order all the fluids and filters on line at decent savings over dealer parts counter prices. The Deere dealer wants $650 for a 200 hour service for my particular tractor. That is changing hydraulic fluid and filter, engine oil change and filter, replacing outer air filter, checking inner air filter, and a general “inspection.” That price is if you trailer the tractor to the dealership. They will pick up and return the tractor for another $200 if you don’t have your own equipment trailer.

A pre-packaged kit bought on line with everything to do the service, including fluids and filters is $186.29, priced today. I order the kit and other parts I might need on line from a Deere dealership in Illinois. All the fluids and parts are Deere brand, not generics. So I save a cool $460 every service. 200 hours comes up for me about every 6 months. The 200 hour service takes me about one hour, and I am never without the tractor. It is only a minor hassle for me to take the used oil to the county recycling center about 5 miles away.

Did you have any specific questions, or is this a yes or no poll?

2 Likes

Wow . That really is impressive it only takes you an hour and look at the cool $460 in savings. It will take us an hour just to load the tractor on the trailer and get it to service. Have you done a transmission fluid change?

And is doing the hydraulic change pretty much just like doing an oil change?

. ^ THIS ! JD comes here to service our JD tractor and lawn mowers. It’s usually expensive depending on needs but worth the $ - IMHO

For simple things like changing fluids & filters, yes, I do my own, they really don’t take long & it’s FAR cheaper. My manual is pretty good, it has pictures, ha, & there is also a GREAT resource at tractorbynet.com, check out for all things tractor.

I have gotten screwed by supposedly “good” shops in the past, it’s infuriating & their prices just get ridiculous. My trust level is very low, so I try to teach myself to do as much as I can. Something like rebuilding hydraulics I will probably have to get help with, but maintenance is absolutely doable at home.

Yes, I have done hydrostatic transmission fluid changes every 200 hours, along with changing the engine oil. Changing tractor transmission oil is exactly like changing the engine oil and filter. Remove a drain plug, catch the used hydraulic fluid, spin on a new filter, replace the drain plug, and fill it up with new fluid. The volumes of hydraulic oil are significantly greater, though. My tractor holds 13 quarts of hydraulic fluid versus 2 quarts of engine oil. So you will need a large enough drain pan.

By the way, the hydraulic fluid doesn’t get dirty like the engine oil does. It looks as clear when you discard it as it did when you poured it in. If you have a John Deere, check out www.greentractortalk.com for advice. The folks there have saved me many dollars in tractor repairs with their diagnostic skills and recommendations.

Do you need a lift to do all this? Somehow I got the impression you did. I think at this point all this is above my pay grade but it sure is good to know about!

No lift needed. If you can change your car’s oil in the driveway, you have the skills and likely the tools to change your tractor hydraulic oil at home.

As I said, you just need a bigger pan to catch it while it drains. No good and clean way the stop the flow if the catch pan is too small and starts to overflow.

If the catch pan is shallow enough to slide under the tractor and has enough volume, you’re good to go.

1 Like

I’ll second that - no lift needed. No special tools, just the right size wrench & a catch container & funnel. Small farm tractors are much easier to work on than cars. I do it all where the tractor sits parked in the grass, I don’t have any paved surfaces. If you can turn a bolt, pour a jug, & read, you can change fluids & most filters.

My husband and 2 sons do all our tractor maintenance ( we have 7 of them in various sizes). I don’t think it is difficult to do if you are mechanically inclined ( i am not) and it saves so much money.

I really appreciate all the responses and contacted the local tractor repair folks we like best. They are willing to do a farm call ($160) charge $60/hr labor. I plan to watch and learn how to do all the maintenance and do it myself going forward.

Those of you doing it yourself at home inspired me heck yes I can do this. Spend the savings on horse stuff!

So appreciate this board and all the generosity of time, help and advice.

2 Likes

Just an update that you all doing this at home inspired me today to make it happen. It wasn’t bad and will get easier. Pocketing that cool $300 feels pretty darn good. Did have DH helping and that was good.

5 Likes