Unlimited access >

Whose horses are still not liking TC senior?

Anyone figured out why the senior isnt as palatable? I know several people who have said they had the same problem with their horses finding the TC senior less appetizing.

I didn’t want to believe it, I chalked it up to him being older, so got teeth looked at, bloodwork drawn,etc.

My horse just doesn’t eat the TC senior how he used to, I don’t know what changed, but it is just the facts.

He used to gobble it up…but somehow now he is less than thrilled and leaves most of it. He will still eat the lite okay, but would like something to mix his supplements with. Beetpulp he is not keen about, nor hay pellets/cubes.

Anything else comparable to TC senior , that is tastier recently?

Have you tried TC Senior Gold ? Mine seem to like the Gold just fine. Plus it does have some extras
in it that the regular sr. doesn’t.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried it recently but in the past my guy wasn’t keen on it for the most part. I was able to get samples which of course he ate but then shortly after committing to a full bag he decided nope, didn’t like it and refused to eat it. Ugh.

1 Like

I have had no issues with it. But to make sure the supplements don’t end up as leftover powder, I pour a little molasses on the supplements, then mix it into the pellets, whatever I am feeding.

1 Like

Hmm. I have a super picky eater who is still gobbling up her TC Senior.

I have an older toothless horse who is usually a chow hound, but usually goes through a period this time a year where he stops cleaning up. He’s in that period now. I don’t blame it on the TC Senior, though. I think it’s because he starts getting a little ulcery towards the end of every winter. He can’t eat any appreciable amount of hay, so he’s basically doing nothing between his soaked senior meals in the winter time. In the summer he has some luck grazing on long, soft grass; my theory is that keeps his stomach happier.

2 Likes

I have one who has been on TC senior for probably 6-7 years now. He did go through a spell about 2 years ago where he completely stopped eating it. Turned out he had a mild impaction. Once that resolved, he’s gobbled it down ever since. He’s choke-prone so gets 2 gallons of warm water on it so it’s basically a soup, but he slurps down every drop.

I was a long time TC Senior feeder but had issues with a couple just not cleaning it up. Switched to Purina Ultium gastric care and they have loved it and look great.

We’ve had a couple of horses randomly start turning their nose up at the TC Gold but who immediately gobble the regular TC Senior. It’s so odd.

Search older threads here and it seems to be a common problem for some who feed it.

we have one pony that is over 40 years old, that is as close as we can guess his age. He is basically 100% on a senior feed (not TC). He will not eat it until it gets topped with five or six iced oatmeal cookies … just looks at it until his cookies are added.

Given his age, we just adjust to his ways

5 Likes

My horses have never been super excited about it. I wonder how palatable anything with such low NSC can really be?

My old guy has gotten TC Sr every Winter for probably 5 years, and this Winter he’s gone from just 5lb, to 10lb, and still dives in every meal. The horse I lost in Oct was eating 8lb a day and he thought the stuff was like crack :laughing:

I have used it to add flavor/hide taste to a ration balancer when I was feeding something icky for a bit though I don’t remember what that was now.

It smells very sweet (to me) with the topical molasses.

But it’s really like every feed - some always love it, some always hate it, and some go back and forth between “ok fine” and “nope!”

1 Like

My guy went off it. He’s super picky in general. We switched to Purina strategy (the textured one)

My horses eat it with no issues. My 18 year old can be extremely picky at times and has always dove into her TC Senior. I do try to stick with the Gold because I like the makeup a bit better.

Thanks all, He has always been a great eater of the T.C senior and I wasn’t believing the hype that it was different when they first switched to Purina milling it.

But ever since then he has been going off and on it, and one bag he will love and another bag he’ll leave most of it.

I wet it different amounts to see if he will prefer it one way vs another. I even have removed all supplements sometimes.

He has access to freechoice hay and lots of turnout.

The ulcer thing might make sense as he does do it more in winter… and him being older maybe the hay doesn’t buffer like it should.

Not sure, maybe I will give the senior gold a try.

I’m curious about this though because 2 bags you buy at the same time are almost guaranteed to be the “same”, since they came from the same batch, and were poured one right after the other.

FWIW, I fed TC Sr before the change to Purina’s mills, and have used it since. My 1 who had it before the change, and every Winter since the change, hasn’t batted an eye. It’s all looked and smelled the same to me too. But, different areas of the country get different main ingredients, still adhering to TC standards, so there could be variability in taste/smell with those

I stopped using TC Sr 2 1/2 years ago when the old horse stopped eating it. I’d used TC for 18 years and loved it. Switched to Seminole Wellness Senior and no problems.