Unlimited access >

Why are barrel racing saddles so small?

English girl here - don’t eat me alive.

Looking to get a western saddle for bush riding/ flat classes in dual discipline shows.
I’m looking for a 16” roping type saddle. I’m a big girl , so need the room to move. I’ve seen a bunch of barrel saddles for sale I really like but they are always 14.5-15”. I almost NEVER see a 16” barrel saddle .
Why? Are they meant to fit snug ? If you take a 16” roper is it still comfy to ride in a 15” barrel racer ? I’m so confused by this haha.

Many barrel racers are actually small people and teens who are not adult sized yet, need the smaller seat sizes. Add in barrel racing is a speed event, so weight can count when runs come down to hundredths of a second. Larger sized ladies do compete, but there are less of them, so they have less bigger sized tack to sell if they change saddles.

I personally do not care for barrel saddles because they are more specialty built with the higher cantle to aid holding riders in place during starts and running patterns. For me, the higher cantle “holds me too much” in place. I cannot move around much when using the saddle for any other horse activity like trail riding, pleasure ring work. I also think with the high cantle, rider probably needs to add an inch to their usual seat size, to be comfortable seated so upright. More work lifting right leg higher to clear the high cantle each and EVERY time you mount or dismount. Easier to snag your leg if not paying attention to getting leg up and clear, to get seated or dismount.

Roper saddles are made for easier on and off with lower cantle clearance. Seats come in more sizes to suit men and women. Horn styles vary, you need to find what you like, that doesn’t get hooked on clothing during mounting or rides. Pleasure type saddles can use various things from all the specialized models.

It can be hard to find a saddle that fits you well and fits the horses you ride. I am firm in picking saddles that let my body be aligned, head, hips, heels, so I stay comfortable at the end of my ride. Not all saddles let you ride aligned! I do not think a saddle MUST be custom made or cost a thousand dollars. There are lots of very nice used, less expensive saddles in 15-16 inch seats out there.

Do always ask if seller is measuring seat size from just below the horn, back to the cantle stitching or back of the seat where your rear touches. Going to the stitching can add a half inch! That is a half inch you cannot actually sit in!! “Experts” seem to measure seats both ways, so asking is important.

My saddle fixer hates the lightweight saddles with plastic trees. Says they do not hold up well in heavy use, not worth replacing. This is even good brand names. So be wary of those types.

Good luck finding something nice.

1 Like

Run a barrel pattern on a fast seasoned horse and you will see real quick why you want a snug seat with a high cantle lol

5 Likes

Consider an Endurance saddle, unless you really are into roping/working livestock.
Light, comfortable, no horn in the way, no humongous skirt to deal with. You and your Equine will like it.

1 Like

Different styles of saddles have different seats, and in a sense, different fits.
And even different barrel saddles have different feels to them.
Different brands will also measure the seat differently. Some measure to the stitching. Others measure to the end of the cantle. That right there can be a 1/2 inch difference.

What size English saddle do you ride in?
The “rule of thumb” is that you subtract 2 inches for the Western seat size. Although, I myself am a bit out of the norm. I ride in a 17.5" jumping saddle and a 14.5" barrel racing saddle.

Comparing roping to barrel racing is totally different. Most roping saddles have a flatter seat and a lot of room to move around. For barrels, you want to be secure so the seat is going to be more snug.

You can find 16" barrel saddles but they usually are custom order. Barrel saddles, in general, tend to be shorter so when you go to the larger seat sizes, now you have to make the tree longer too, and the saddle longer. That’s not usually desirable for barrel racing.

What western saddles have you ridden in so far?
Have you tried a 15" barrel saddle?

I’ve had a Billy Cook roper 16”, loved that saddle for looks and durability but the seat was a mile wide and felt like riding a wooden table.
Had a Champion Turf equitation 16” that was comfy but looked absolutely ridiculous in the bush because it was dripping in silver.
And have had a few of the old Circle Y equitation saddles as well, two 16s and a 15” that was just too tight for my liking.

Haven’t tried a barrel saddle as of yet, kind of unsure if it’s the direction I want to go.

I want something DURABLE, that’s meant to be ridden with a (snug like it should be) back cinch.

If you’re talking dual discipline shows and a western flat class, a barrel saddle would be inappropriate.

You need a pleasure-type saddle. Here’s a facebook group with used work saddles for sale - any of these would be fine for local level western flat classes: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1541596242769643

2 Likes

I haven’t cleaned it up to sell yet, but I have a 16" rocking r lady trail saddle that is stout as a tree stump. PM me if you’re interested in learning more.

a good comparison might be a barrel saddle is more like a dressage saddle: you want to feel locked in, but a roping saddle is more like a close contact: you need room to twist, turn, post and move a bit.

I had a 16" western barrel saddle…it fit me for western dressage. I needed more seat so I could post. I could also fit a 14" barrel saddle…but I was more locked in, and probably what a person would want for patterns.

1 Like

It looks like this has been well covered, but to jump in - we do see some larger seat barrel saddles go out, but generally, barrel riders are looking for a snug fit that will help in tight corners, so they can stay deep in the seat. For this reason, most riders will go down at least one seat size between their barrel saddle and trail or pleasure saddle. Some of the larger barrel seat sizes are well-loved amongst trail riders, but we don’t generally see our barrel saddles used outside of speed events (barrels, poles, etc) and trails.

For riders looking for a barrel saddle to also rope in or for disciplines like Western Dressage, most riders will choose an All-Around model.

Depending on exactly how you prefer your seat, you may like an Equitation style tree, like a show saddle, training saddle, or Julie Goodnight trail saddle (designed by Julie Goodnight, these saddles are built to encourage proper equitation and a balanced seat). The benefit to these is that they promote equitation but won’t be nearly as heavy as roping saddles since they aren’t designed to meet the same force as roping saddles. Julie Goodnight’s saddles especially are some of the most popular in this area, because they’re lightweight and easy to care for, but are designed to look great in the ring as well.

We’d be happy to discuss further with you to help you find the right fit!

Thanks everyone! Ended up with a Mary’s custom tack all rounder, or maybe a reining style. Can’t quite tell. Passed on the blingy barrel saddles I like room to move haha.

1 Like