Unlimited access >

Why is my horse now scared of jumps?

When my jumper stopped wanting to jump it turned out to be the first sign of Cushings.

2 Likes

Thanks, @Rnichols

Of course one will get a variety of responses when youā€™re asking the Internet for advice. I havenā€™t tried to shut down anyoneā€™s input and appreciate anyone who spent the time to try to answer my question.

I took down a couple videosā€”not all of themā€”because despite what Iā€™m sure are good intentions a lot of responses were starting to make wide and not entirely helpful assumptions based on a few minutes of muted video out of hours of rides.

Example:

It seems to be a continual problem even when not jumping.

The video is proof of what is going on.

(I already explained he was stopping even walking over jumps on a long loose rein and that we donā€™t have issues on the flat. I can get him nice and connected. He also continued doing this with a more experienced rider using soft hands and the turtle top bit).

No need to keep inviting that, especially bc over the past couple weeks I got some ā€œofflineā€ help that gave me an Ah Ha answer and was able to get him over a small course of jumps in one lesson. It wasnā€™t perfect but definitely an improvement over the past few weeks.

7 Likes

Glad it has improved!

Please share your ah ha moment! Itā€™s always nice to see how these things come together!

3 Likes

Thank you again! I was able to get some very helpful advice and encouragement from some of the posts, especially from those reminding me how this is still a new partnership.

I did set up an appointment with a bit fitter as I agree he seems to have a more sensitive mouth, and even the turtle top doesnā€™t seem to suit him as well as it did my other TB. He did work better when I used a flash, which is what the former trainer told me they used. Iā€™ve also been experimenting with a figure 8 but itā€™s been hit or miss.

8 Likes

So glad you are making some headway! Keep at it!

1 Like

Thatā€™s fantastic news! Iā€™m sure a year from now youā€™ll be thinking, ā€œhe used to be balky at a crossrail, and now weā€™re cantering courses no problem.ā€

7 Likes

Since those phrases you quoted in the above post # 61 were my words , then why not show some of what he is doing right? Or showing him going nicely on the flat with nice contact ?

Speaking only for myself-- I can only go off of what I can see. If you want to give the whole picture then provide it so some ( like me) donā€™t have to make assumptions.

I am glad he is going better and hopefully on a better path for you both.

2 Likes

In your Dec 3 Jump lesson video, it looks like you are landing on his back over the apex of the jump. I know it often comes up, but have you checked the fit of your saddle? If he expects to be jabbed in the shoulders by the points as he lands, heā€™s not going to want to take off.

1 Like

Wrong thread!

Havenā€™t watched the video or read any of the other comments. A) some horses are REALLY REALLY careful and can only be ridden by top pros. I think of Becky Holder and Courageous Comet. He had to be ā€œre-startedā€ over ground poles after every break. Would spook at them. In any case, you may not be the rider that the seller was. Maybe the horse is extra careful, or maybe you just donā€™t give him the ride he needs. Take a good hard look at yourself and the horse. It isnā€™t always pain or training. Sometimes it is their personality and sometimes it is the rider. Not all of them can take a joke.

1 Like