Unlimited access >

Why Wasn't Canada Mentioned?

This was a question on another BB (equiman.com) posted by horse4ever and since COTH has more Americans over here I thought I’d see what you guys thought. Will post my comments later.

Moderators: if this is unappropriate in anyway, please take it off immediatly

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Why is it that President Bush did not mention Canada once in his thanking the nations that are showing their support. He thanked countries overseas but not his neighbour to the North. This is very upsetting to all CANADIANS. The province of Ontario which is very close to New york has sent firefighters, we are running blood donor cliniccs to send blood, have offered our hospitals for the wounded & have sent money & raising more funds for the victims. Our Prime Minister was talking to President Bush the day the horrible tragedy happened.

Please tell me why Canada was never mentioned. Canadians have a right to know!!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No one ever thanks the US. You get used to it after a while.

“Canada sits atop North America like a great conscience.” That’s what my history teacher always says, and I just thought I’d share. No relevance to anything really.

“The question is not can they speak or can they reason, but can they suffer?”

Uh, Canadiens, you are not alone - Ireland wasn’t mentioned either, and there were over 100 Irish nationals killed, and LOTS more if you include the police & fire fighters who lost their lives.

I assumed it wsa an oversight. However, it was also in the Irish papers that this country has harboured a couple of terrorists - they even have (had?) a few “charities” that raise money for good causes, but actually goes to Bin Laden & co.

The FBI offered to help the Gardai (a very small force) track and capture these men, and were turned down. So, Special Delivery’s reasoning makes sense. Unfortunately.

it’s been the lead item on all the news casts today. Personally I don’t think it matters. All of us who have done something to help have done it because the need was there and we wanted to do SOMETHING. In the face of such devastation, suffering and loss, many of us felt impotent. Taking action, however small, helped us to feel connected and useful. The important thing is that we as individuals care and help in what ever way we can.

Thanks for your insightful post, Special Delivery! And I like Essie’s post about the sibling thing.

I’m sure I speak for many fellow Americans when I say THANK YOU, CANADA! You are our neighbor and friend…and the motherland of one of my favorite actors, Roy Dupuis! (sorry, I couldn’t resist!)

I don’t think there was a “slight” intended. Perhaps those countries mentioned in the President’s speech were specifically noted in acknowledgment of their leaders’ (physical) presence in the Nation’s Capitol…as with Tony Blair. Were those mentioned (all) right there? Just a thought…

Important disclaimers -

1. I am Canadian.
  2. I beleive that the snub, if it existed, was directed at the Canadian Government, not the Canadian people.

Considering the evidence that Canada was used as a
safe haven by the terrorists involved in this
particular act, the most appropriate way to include us would have been to say “Canada - You are either for us, or you are for the terrorists.”

In matters of international diplomacy, these things are well calculated. Bush’s omission was not an oversight. It was a clear indication that the level of cooperation he is getting from the Canadian government is not acceptable. We can be sure that - behind the scenes - the U.S. government has been leaning on Canada to get tough on terrorism for several years. The Canadian government’s response has been underwhelming, to say the most; and nothing like the wrath inflicted on an anonymous protester who once got close enough to Chretien to earn himself a headlock.

Joe Clark, widely recognized as a straight shooter, has declared publicly that U.S. Congressmen are privy to more information about terrorist activity in Canada than are Canadian Members of Parliament. To my knowledge, not one person in Canada has been detained for questioning, other than for airport security violations. City Pulse news has questioned more material witnesses than the RCMP.

America is at War. Chretien claims to be ‘shoulder to shoulder’ with Bush, which presumably means we are at war as well. If that is the case, how is it that the War Measures Act has not been invoked? Thirty years ago, Chretien held an important cabinet position in a government that invoked the War Measures Act in response to what amounted to a serious crime (Many of the criminals were set free years ago). He has been Prime Minister, with a majority government, for nearly a decade. If he is opposed to the War Measures Act, he should have revised or abolished it by now. If we are indeed at war, now is the time to invoke the WarMeasures Act. There is no doubt the enemy is activelyoperating within our borders. This is exactly what the War Measures Act is for.

When they meet in a few days, I hope George W commits one of his infamous mispronounciations and calls Chretien ‘Prime Minister Chamberlain’. That would be perfect.

(Edited to remove <CR> and make this post scroll properly. W.)

[This message was edited by Weatherford on Sep. 22, 2001 at 04:42 AM.]

My British husband pointed out, How many missions are we going to fly out of Canada?

F44 - Once a nerd, always a nerd.

I actually really like their national anthem. How does the rest of it go?

F44 - Once a nerd, always a nerd.

This was a question on another BB (equiman.com) posted by horse4ever and since COTH has more Americans over here I thought I’d see what you guys thought. Will post my comments later.

Moderators: if this is unappropriate in anyway, please take it off immediatly

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Why is it that President Bush did not mention Canada once in his thanking the nations that are showing their support. He thanked countries overseas but not his neighbour to the North. This is very upsetting to all CANADIANS. The province of Ontario which is very close to New york has sent firefighters, we are running blood donor cliniccs to send blood, have offered our hospitals for the wounded & have sent money & raising more funds for the victims. Our Prime Minister was talking to President Bush the day the horrible tragedy happened.

Please tell me why Canada was never mentioned. Canadians have a right to know!!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I noticed the oversight/omission. When he said that the we have no better friend that Great Britain, I immediately said to a colleague, “Uh … CANADA!!!” But then I wondered, maybe he was including Canada in that Great Britain blanket, frantically trying to think of a way to rationalize for him. Not that he needs me to do that.

But as one grateful American, allow me to say what my president did not: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

Bulletin Board Goddess

thanks everyone for posting, now I finally have time to comment on my own thread G

I have been thinking all day about this and a few reasons come into mind why President Bush “omitted” to thank Canada. I’ll share them with you and if anyone wants to comment on them, please do

What immediatly came to my mind was resentment that our country knowingly/unknowingly was/is “home” to the terrorist(s), in this case I agree. I can’t beleive we could have had such an evil person on our land and to know that “we” had such evil in our country just kills me inside. Shouldn’t we have known? Did we not care? Why is it so easy to get into Canada? Many questions put onto our goverment (who in my eyes should have been replaced years ago).

The thought that it was perhaps because we can’t support the USA through a military point of view. We are quite little people with not much of a navy, small army count compared to even some countrys half our size and are less equiped that other country able to back the USA if/when “physical” war takes place. I can understand that.

Perhaps we are too insignificant to have our support felt or maybe he just forgot or maybe the fairy tale is true that he just assumed that we would know. I won’t lie, I as a Canadian, I feel a tad hurt.
About 10% of me feels like we are just “there”, that we have no meaning to other countries, that we are expendable and will either be wiped off if physical war occurs or left entirerly unscathed.
Then about 20% of me feels very guilty for even thinking about this during such a time of need. That being so petty can even come to me after all of what the US has been through. And I feel guilty for the other Canadians who can’t see I/they/we are being petty.

The rest of me stands tall for the states, proud to live next you and be your neighbours. I will always support America and no matter what Canada will always be standing beside you guys. We will ALWAYS be here when you need our help, no matter if you ask for it or not Just as I know the USA would help us and has many times in the past.

I hope the Americans know that, and I think that’s the whole reason why Canada feels so bad about not being included. We want you to know we ARE there, that we can help and that we will continue to do as much as we can. I think what we are looking for is les of a “thank you” and more of an acknowledgment.

And I, too, love the words to “Oh Canada.” Actually most nations have a national anthem that really gets me going.

You know what? I never noticed he didn’t say that…That is a valid point though!! I was born in Canada, so I should have noticed!!!

Barb

As reported on CNN:

A man has been arrested in Toronto today. He was a passenger on a Lufthansa flight from Germany
which was diverted to Toronto last Tuesday. He aroused suspicion when customs officials discovered
several passports in his possession including Yemeni and Saudi credentials. His suitcase contained several airline uniforms. Supposedly he is an employee of Lufthansa’s but he also had some very interesting messages written in code, sewn to the inside of the clothes that he was wearing. Canada is to hand him over to US FBI officials tomorrow.

Jean C. may not be quick to respond to the USA but our good Canadian customs officials certainly are.

Coreene… someone HAS thanked the US… Canada (OK, so it was in 1973, it was still special ).

Stegall, you should be careful about thanking those Canadians for not invading. You must be to young (in BB years) to remember the Great Canadian Invasion of Thanksgiving, way back in 2000. They snuck right over that border while we were stuffing ourselves on turkey! It was sheer chaos for DAYS until we wrested control back from those upstarts.

But to the rest of the Canadians, be assured you have witnessed one of the bigger speech writing “oops” out there. If your PM is clever he will milk this one for all it’s worth

I much prefer the American anthem - very moving, anthemic, inspiring. Among the best versions I’ve ever heard BTW was Bobby McFerrin’s years ago on Saturday Night Live, sung a capella. Brought tears to our eyes.

O Canada’s kinda chugs along, as anthems go.

has not been as gung ho on the military solution ie all-out war as Bush would like us to be…

on another board said that Canada is not an friend but a sibling. And you know how siblings treat eachother!
I think that our Canadians “siblings” are the BEST!