Unlimited access >

Wild Turkey Issue

I’m not on a farm, but I thought maybe folks here can provide some ideas on how to deal with this issue.

We are surrounded on two sides by heavy woods that harbor groups of turkeys, deer, and other wildlife. Our back yard is enclosed by a 5’ fence and the turkeys have learned how to scale the fence so they can peck around underneath the bird feeders (and the rest of the yard).

The turkeys get in by flapping up to the top rail and then down to the yard. They get out the same way, except for one particular turkey who regularly gets trapped in the yard. Even though she manages to get in, she doesn’t seem to be able to figure out how to get out. The entire flock gets out and retreats into the woods, but she is left running the fence line. We have to go down and open a back gate and then shoo her toward the opening with a broom. And as soon as she gets through the gate, she takes off flying, so we know she is capable of flight.

We always check for her before we let our dog out, but we are worried that she may get trapped for hours and hours one day while we are gone. And since she runs the fence line like a frenzied horse, we fear she may stress herself into heat stroke or something of that sort.

We are thinking of putting up some boards to make a ramp from the yard to the top of the fence. Good idea, or not? We don’t want to encourage these turkeys to come into our yard (I don’t mind them hunting bugs, but don’t want my dog eating turkey poop!), but since the boards will only serve to facilitate an easy exit from the yard, will that “train” them that the living is easy here?

Thanks for any advice!

Our deer and wild turkeys could fly fine over our 6’ chain link fence in and out of the yard in the old house.
They had enough space from inside to get a run at it, but barely.
Just as you, there was always some that didn’t and then act like the sky is falling and we had to go open a gate and herd the hapless critter out of the yard.

In the new house the yard has on purpose longer stretches, so they have enough room, but we don’t have many wild turkeys or deer here, more antelope and those tend to crawl under fences, so no problem.

Could you try adding a coyote roll to the top of the fence?
Those can be one way to keep pets in and others out.
Pieces of PVC pipe or garden hose with a wire run thru it work.
You can make one or buy them ready to install:

That may keep turkeys from using that for a spring board.

Well, if she’s that stupid, perhaps Darwin needs to step in.

I’d be concerned that any ramp-like structure might be utilized by your dog to depart the premises.

6 Likes

Maybe a ladder type ramp might work? But turkey’s not being so bright, it might not.

1 Like

Turkeys roost 30 feet up in the trees; the ones that get caught in the yard can get out. I’d let the dog motivate her. We have gazillions of turkeys here and occasionally one thinks it’s trapped in our fence and does the fence walking frantic peeping routine, sometimes for hours. So I will go out there and walk toward it and OH HEY they remember how to fly and off they go. My parents have small dogs and 8 foot high fences (deer) and when the turkeys get in their yard they release the hounds (boston/dachshund/chi) and it’s hilarious to watch them force the turkey into remembering how to fly. I have big dogs and they will chase the turkeys out too. Years of this and no dog has ever caught a turkey. The turkeys that are jumping to the top rail will just fly over if they want to get in your yard, IME. They’re better flyers than they appear. Letting the dogs clear the yard has been the best way to do it b/c they do learn to avoid the yard. My crew of turkeys (about 20) walks down the driveway daily to go to the neighboring property to eat grasshoppers and no longer come into the yard or pastures.

4 Likes

Good point about Darwin!

As for my dog using the ramp to escape the yard - I’m not too worried about it. She doesn’t like to go up ramps - will use her ramp to get down to the yard from the deck, but prefers to climb the stairs to come back up. Plus I think an up ramp to the fence would be too steep and slippery for her.

Thanks, I know they can fly up to trees to roost - I’ve got photos of some of our neighborhood turkeys way, way up there. :slight_smile:

My husband was able to scare this hen into flying up to the fence rail by walking toward her, but when I tried it, she just kept running the fence line in a panic. I’m hoping it is one of this year’s crop and she just hasn’t figured things out yet, so I’m going to stay watchful. If she continues to struggle trying to get out, I’ll try making a ramp for her. Or maybe I’ll start feeding her in the yard - Thanksgiving is coming. :laughing:

1 Like

I remember being impressed the first time I saw them all go to roost so high in the trees; they seemed so much like ground birds I had no idea they went so high up. Occasionally now some will fly right past my porch just passing through and it always seems odd to me but there they go lol

Hopefully your grounded turkey figures it out soon!

If your husband can make her fly, having him spook her out several times may teach her that she’s able to do so, eventually.

1 Like

Wild turkey are simply not that bright. Many of the Gallinaceous birds are that way. Perhaps why they were so easily domesticated They will walk up a steep hill and fly down it. There always seems to be one in a flock who doesn’t catch on easily. I would let be be and eventually learn

1 Like

Sometimes wildlife needs a little help. Some people are cool and calm in a frightening situation and others panic. She might be smart enough when she isn’t panicking. Just open the gate for her. She’ll eventually just go to the gate when she sees you.

1 Like

I prefer Crown Royal myself. But if you see a bottle of Wild Turkey running up and down the fenceline, all I can say is it’s time to cut back a bit, sis
:laughing:

3 Likes

George Dickel Tennessee Whisky for me, thank you very much! :grin:

I had no idea they could get that high up in a tree until one evening when I was taking out the garbage and I heard a strange sound several times and saw a flock of turkeys “going up” for the night. One after another, they would take a short run and flap their way up to a low tree branch, then flap up to a higher branch, and then to another, and another until they were pretty far up the tree. Some of them picked a different tree, but there were several trees that held multiples of turkeys. It was weird to see those big birds so high up in a tree.

1 Like