Unlimited access >

Will certain saddle racks damage your English saddle?

I was reading a thread on social media about saddle racks and someone had commented that a particular style of saddle rack will damage the panels on an English saddle if used. I had never heard this before. I don’t currently have a barn (just use my horse trailer for now) but I will someday and I want to plan my tack room accordingly.

I primarily ride Western so I have more Western saddles than my one English saddle. I had always pictured using something like this in my tack room, so each horse’s saddle could have their pad stored right below it I despise storing saddle pads on stop of saddles because I don’t like putting them upside down and I don’t like the sweaty moisture on top of the saddle seat.

Would this type of saddle rack damage the panels?
If so, what is a better design for an English saddle in a tack room?

If you leave it there for a long time it will. Just put a folded towel under it to prevent the bars from denting the panels. Problem solved!

7 Likes

You can also use pipe insulation on the bars

7 Likes

I leave a half pad on mine for protection. There are saddle cushions you can get for racks too.

5 Likes

That’s what I do, except it’s an old pad I no longer use. I keep my lovely new Winderen pad on top of my saddle so it doesn’t get weird either.

This is the best kind of saddle rack for an English or dressage saddle.

8 Likes

If I’m leaving any of my saddles on a rack for extended periods of time I always layer saddle pads underneath as well as keeping my half pad attached. Makes it seem like my hoarding of saddle pads are actually useful and that I don’t have more than I want to admit

9 Likes
1 Like

I bought a used LamiCell half pad for $25 and taped it on my saddle rack as a DIY saddle mattress.

5 Likes

Or you can attach pool noodles

4 Likes

My trailer has saddle racks like these. Since they are solid, I assume that’s okay for the English saddle?
Or would you still put a pad under it?

1 Like

Those ridges meant to keep the saddles from falling in transit will damage it if left on there.

Still a pad under it.

1 Like

FWIW, you have to leave it on there for a pretty substantial amount of time to dent the panels. If you’re just packing up for a day show, you’re fine sans pad.

The rack it sits on at home is the mission-critical one.

3 Likes

It is not just wool saddles, but even foam saddles with be damaged with uneven pressure from the rack. The best saddle rack is the one that don’t even touch the panels. Short term for trailer rides is not a problem, but other yes it will leave an impression.

3 Likes

My saddle fitter told me this too. One cheapo pool noodle, cut into 3 pieces for the type of rack OP has. I cut each piece open and then used Gorilla tape to secure the pieces on the rack, as otherwise they wanted to shift.

I used pipe insulation first and it compressed very quickly and didn’t last that long. The pool noodle has been in use for at least a couple years now.

4 Likes

I own the saddle racks with pad bar below as pictured (got a few on sale at Schneider’s). I bought some cheap black pool noodles from Oodles of Noodles on Amazon and twisted them on. Voila, two happy saddles and I’m only out about $15 instead of $270 for a Saddle Mattress. I’ve had this setup for several months now and so far so good.

I also bought some pool noodles and covered the saddle racks in my Hawk trailer. Happy saddles all around.

2 Likes

I do not have a barn so my saddle’s home is in my trailer.

I’ll have to get a pad to put under it.

1 Like
1 Like

To help define substantial amount of time - I have a rack like the one in the OP which dented a foam paneled saddle of mine, even with an AP pad folded over underneath it, in the span of a few (2ish) months. I thought the AP pad would be enough padding, and certainly thought a few months was not that long (in the grand scheme of a saddle’s life) to cause damage but alas. Now I keep a half pad and the AP pad on that rack, but I may wrap it with pool noodles this year.

1 Like

I took out all the ‘normal’ saddle racks in my tack room and replaced them with single poles which are far better.
Even with numerous pads the bars on the standard racks were marking my panels

1 Like

Actually, yes! We really need to make sure our saddle racks aren’t putting dents into our saddles. I’ve converted to saddle racks that support and don’t put pressure points into my saddles.