Unlimited access >

Will he grow?

I recently (3 months ago) purchased a long 3 year old. Due to Covid and market conditions, I did not see him in person prior to purchase. I had video and a thorough pre-purchase exam.

Overall, he is pretty much as described and I am pleased with him. BUT (!) He was advertised as 16.1+. The vet that did the PPE estimated him as 16.1+. When he arrived, he is closer to 15.3-16h (measured with height tape, we do not have an official wooden stick).

My question is, what are my chances that he will mature to 16.2+? I was told that his dam is 17.1, sire is 16.3 and full sister finished at 16.3.

1 Like

Ooh. That is tough. Geldings “often” grow for YEARS… most til 6-7, but I had one weirdo who I KNOW grew an inch the winter of his 9th year.

He will probably gain an inch or so… maybe.

But I have had some early maturers be done at 4 and then just fill out too… so you never know… until you know.

1 Like

There’s no guarantee, of course, but I have the opposite problem with my recently purchased 3 year old gelding. He was 14.3 when I picked him up. My hope has/had been that he’d top out at 15 hands and he’s already sticking at 15.1 and 1/2 inch. I have to go back 4 generations to find anyone over 15 hands in his pedigree. As a breeder, most of my purebreds and cross breds continued to grow and put on a little height well into their 5/6 year. We’re guessing this guy will end up a solid 15.2 (hopefully that’s all).

1 Like

Try the string test. The one from elbow to ground and swinging ground end up past withers. I have found it pretty accurate. Within a half inch accurate. Surprisingly. *The withers are the last part of the spine to mature, if I recall accurately.

PS. Those horse cloth tape measures are usually inaccurate and so are many wooden/metal horse measuring sticks.

1 Like

I purchased a five-year-old who was just barely 16.1 and wore a 78 inch blanket. He is now just turned eight. 16.3,1/2. Growing out of an 81 inch blanket.

I also have had a gelding who was 15.3 at 4 1/2 years . Ended up at 16.2 by 7 years.

Do a string test.

1 Like

I did both versions of the string test. The elbow to ergot came out around 17h. The coronet band to knee came out around 16.5". So both tests seem to indicate he has a significant amount of more growing to do. Will be interesting to see how he develops.

it’s not just about the sire and dam height, but what are those lines known for producing height-wise? and even then it might be completely different!

I have a lovely homebred WB. His sire is 16.1+, and his dam is 15.3 and her parents were 16.1 and 16.2.
This lovely boy is FANCY. Unfortunately, he apparently stopped growing at 2.5yo. He’s 5 this spring and is a solid hony at 15hh. Luckily I’m short, he’s big bodied and has a big step, so it may still work out. But I’m very disappointed he’s 3-4" shorter than I expected and hoped for.

I also bought a 3yo in Germany who looked absolutely finished and sticked right at 16.2. Brought him home and he topped out at 17.3 and ended up much too big for me.

so, in my limited experience, height’s all a crap shoot!!

@ElementFarm I enjoyed your comment and your experience!

My gelding is a bit of a Heinz 57, so I don’t really know for sure what his bloodlines throw.

However, since my last post, I am starting to enjoy and appreciate him for what he is. He has a huge step, a natural rhythm and balance, and an ammy-friendly brain.

I got a bit hung-up on height - I’ve been doing the equitation for the last few years. I’m above average height, have a long torso, and can easily look too big on certain builds.

However, this young horse is changing my mind on the height requirement. Who knows, we may even end up in the hunters someday :woman_shrugging:.

2 Likes

How do you calculate the height in the coronet band to knee height? Just simply take the inches in that length?

I did a lot of googling and tried to replicate the measurements in the videos I watched and articles I read. I found the instructions in this blog post helpful.