Unlimited access >

WILL/SHOULD THE HORSE WORLD BECOME POLITICALLY CORRECT?

love it love it love it. It was mean. But I was the dodgeball champion. I NEVER got hit.

That may be because I was a runt. The smallest kid in my class.

But it was kind of mean for the fat kids.

Half of Riding is 30% mental … no wonder there are so many bad riders

I as a child was one of the kids who COULD climb that rope. Couldn’t run or throw worth a darn, but could climb that rope!!! I didn’t care!

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by timedjumpoff:

Fortunately the spirit of competition is alive and well in the horseworld. Life is about WINNING and LOSING and it’s never too early to get used to it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Weeeeell, not exactly. If the world was full of only people who where highly competitive, it would be… oh so very one dimensional, and not much happiness. As a competitive person, you should be happy that some people are not competitive. We need all types. There are some people who take joy in things that are not competitive. I’m like that, yet I LOVE watching highly competitive people like Sampras & Agassi!! I can truly appreciate their focus.

Boy…do the PC haters sound scared.

If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody ELSE’s dog around- A Cowboy’s Guide to Life

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jl:

This is a duh. When a police officer stops a young black man driving an SUV _only because he fits a the statistical racial profile of a typical car thief, that’s racial profiling_When an airport security guard politely singles out young Muslim men for additional searches at the airport, thats common sense<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

…but I haven’t yet figured out how to reply to individual parts of different people’s posts without opening a new reply for each. And there are many here I’d like to respond to but by the time I finish reading all of them, I don’t know how to go back and pick and choose the parts I wish to reply to.

Fairly new to the BB world, and a self-taught MAC user (I managed—with the help of my husband, the PC genius!) to dump all the internal sofware of the first computer I ever bought, within one hour of taking it out of the box. I still live in fear of seeing the “BOMB” face on the screen every time I try something new.

I tried copying one quote, reading more, then copying another quote, but one seems to cancel out the other and I’m always left with just the last one. Maybe you can tell me how to do multi-quotes within one reply.

Referring to the above quote, I think you’re missing the point about profiling. In most (admittedly, not all) cases of black young men being stopped in cars, did you ever think it was not because he’s become a statistical profile but because he fits the profile of a number of car theifs at any given time. I agree that no one should be roughed up by police when they are stopped, especially if they are cooperative, but I feel the police are justified in questionning one cretain group more than another when they make up a large percentage of the real perpetrators. This all goes to the “random” selection debate about security. Are you saying it’s OK for Muslim men to be checked more than others at airports because the 9/11 terrorists were Moslems but it’s not OK for other racial/ethnic/gender profiles to be singled out when it’s only felony theft and not the murder of thousands? You can’t have it both ways.

Re: the welfare issue, when Republican welfare reform initiatives were adopted several years ago, the media (in NYC at least) cried out, “there will be women and children starving in the streets of NY if their welfare is cut off after X number of years.” Well guess what, close to 90% of those lifelong welfare mothers are now working and supporting their families, making more than they did on welfare, and for the first time in many of their lives, have gained self-esteem.

I understand Appy’s point about “all or nothing”
welfare and agree that people should be able to get a little help when they need it, especially if they are working, to make ends meet in a crisis, instead of having to stop working altogether just to get the standard welfare check. I think you can collect unemployment insurance even if you work some during the time you collect unemployment. They just deduct what you’ve earned in any given week from what they pay you. Can’t welfare do the same?

To whomever—re: “competition” as a part of life.
If you think kids should be shielded from it to make them feel good about themselves all the time,
you set them up for a rude awakening when they become adults.

Most of you here probably don’t remember when all elementary-high school students were required to dress “appropriately,” i.e., no pants for girls,
no jeans/T-shirts/sneakers for anyone. It proabably seems crazy now, but back when certain things in terms of behavior/dress/language were expected of kids, they had more respect for their teachers/parents and probably for themselves as well. Put in 'HORSEWORLD" context, why don’t kids or adults (even the liberals) object to the dress code mandated for horse showing? How many times have we heard that the traditional jacket and tie/ratcather is a sign of respect to the judge.

I, more than many think such dress is impractical,
uncomfortable, and downright foolish, considering the extremes of temperatures we ride in. But I dress as I’m expected to, according to someone else’s rules, and wouldn’t for a minute think they were taking away my personal freedoms. If someone comes to a show in oversiZed pants, dreadlocks, and football helmet, would they be allowed to show in that attire? If such person was African-American, would you accuse show management of being racist for singling them out,
or preventing them from entering a class?

I’m not sure what anymore is politically correct.
I only know that most things that are suddenly considered the PC thing to do, rub me the wrong way…kind of like fingernails scrpaing a chalkboard.

And no, LIFE ISN’T FAIR all the time. Learn how to deal with it.

Your take on Rush Please!!

“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety” Benjamin Franklin, 1755
Founding member of The Fossils over Fences Clique!

ROFLMAO!!!

Just because you’re not paranoid, doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you.

TJO, the efforts of PETA to stop all human interaction with animals can hardly be called a PC cause…

I agree with Serendipity. Your points are (somewhat) valid, but not under the cliche of political correctness.

EMMA

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rileyt:
Whom does Larry aim at?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The lawyer-wannabe if he has any brains!

I know better than to assume that EVERYONE using gov’t assistance is a fat lazy peice of crap. And you are right, there shouldn’t be big handouts to CEO’s and fat cat corporations. It shouldn’t happen at all, but it does and the only way to combat it is to pay attention to the issues and vote for (hopefully) the right person. And as for missle defense, I will gladly give for that fund. Who do you think it was chasing the taliban out of afghanistan? They certainly didn’t ship out retired librarians to do it. I have abslolutly no problems with giving money to our military.

“I ain’t got a dime but what I got is mine; I ain’t rich, but Lord, I’m free.”

Competitive does not only pertain to sports but life in general, The job market, school etc.

“Those who would give up
essential Liberty, to
purchase a little temporary
Safety, deserve neither
Liberty nor Safety” Benjamin
Franklin, 1755

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sannois:
He will always put liberals to the front of the call line. Sad you are so closed minded. Give it a try. He can and does back up everything with proof. Can you say that about the Liberal Media??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would like to direct your attention to a book called, Rush is Wrong.

You can’t possibly believe he is any more credible that the ‘liberal media’. He is a multimillionaire entertainer whose opinions are no more valid than those of the ‘movie stars’ being trotted out today to talk about their feelings after 9/11.

Just because you’re not paranoid, doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you.

We Agree on something! I dissagree with the Patriot act totally! I never said I was in love with Bush either. Just for the record!

“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety” Benjamin Franklin, 1755

OK, lady in airport is stopped, questioned, strip searched (including the ol’ cavity dealie) and determined to be innocent and is sent on her merry way. What caused them to stop her? She was black, i.e. possible drug runner. That is racial profiling.

I am not saying a discussion regarding horse sports and their “dumbing down” is not a valid discussion. But I find comparing “keeping kids happy” to real rights being infringed upon to be very offensive.

I think it would nice for there to be something for everyone. I belong to the OPRC for lots of laughs, fun and no pressure…a “ribbon for everyone” mentality. I’d still like the option to go to a USCTA event for “real” competition. So that’s exactly what I have. I’m happy!!

Lettin’ the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin’ it back- A Cowboy’s Guide to Life

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nhwr:
To completely level the playing field eliminates variation, creativity and originality. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought that’s what hunter hack classes are for.
Shouldn’t you be watching O’Reilly Factor with TJO?

Hobson: Divorce Mr.H, get the gender reassignment and meet me in Vermont for the civil union, baby.

Wouldn’t “infrastructure” include “taking care of people”? You know, emergency services, hospitals, laws, etc.?

What is it with the BBQ???

Everytime my mother goes down south for those family reunions, she comes back with containers of said BBQ…as in NC BBQ.

If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody ELSE’s dog around- A Cowboy’s Guide to Life

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stephanie:
hobson…
what did you think of the show? (aside from the thickened necks?)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

stephanie,

I saw bits and pieces of it, but thought that it was in line with the usual high quality of the Frontline shows.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
You know Hobson I wish you were single and a blonde Swedish volleyball player
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Neither single, nor blonde, nor even remotely Swedish, and I suck at volleyball. Dude, you need to rethink your preferences if you’re not living in Scandinavia. Anyway, I already told Jeb that I’d divorce Mr H and become a man.

Interesting replies, though it was never my intention to be “inflammatory”. I do, however
question the replies which seem to think PCness has nothing to do with/will never affect the horse world. That’s one of the reasons my original post
posed a number of questions (from the possible to the absurd) for consideration.

TLE—I hadn’t even thought of the eventing issues
but you’re absolutely right. Though not an eventer myself, I have read the recent articles
on the lowering of standards and am on the fence (no pun intended) about how I feel about it. On the one hand, I favor not putting the horses at great risk by making some of the obstacles a bit more “break-downable” but I also agree with the viewpoint that people/horses who are not ready/experienced enough to do a certain division should not be entering that division in the first place. However, I do feel that rather than making everything easier so more can qualify, I do think there should be some kind of rigid qualification system at each level, if feasible, that will determine whether a horse/rider combination be allowed to move up. And while this topic may not be thought of exactly as a PC issue, it certainly
falls within the parameters of many sports
and job-related arguments and discussions are headed these days.

Hobson—thank you for bringing that old "60’s bleeding heart liberal rhetoric to the forefront once again. We always need someone to remind us of old ideas that once served a purpose…yet have become increasingly detrimental to those groups for whom they were designed to help. Just ask the many minority students who gained admission to colleges on their own merit, yet are still looked upon as “there because of quotas” where affirmative action still exists. Time to relieve yourself of "60’s guilt. Our sport is not restricted by race or religion, or ethnic origin. Money yes, though certainly not big concern to the one particular ethnic group you mentioned. And in case you haven’t heard, middle class working family income is pretty much the same now across racial lines, in most parts of this country. But I’m sure we’d all love to hear a story about some potential grand prix rider who would still be in the ghetto if not for the generousity of some bleeding hearts like you!

Heineken—No, there won’t be masses storming the gates at Devon, but don’t be surprised to see hobson and his little group of protestors picketing in front of it!

Emma MHC-----I agree with you that the efforts of PETA shouldn’t be called PC…that’s not to say they aren’t rying to convince people that they are. As for "jump safety, you’re right, for now that is, but please refer to the “tle” post here, I think that makes a valid argument that the potential for a PC element to stir the pot on the issue, exists right now.

Jennasis----Yes, the one place that possibly could stand a little PC thinking might be the hunters-- probably the most prejudiced area of the sport. But, hey, no one forces anyone to compete there, so I guess no one should complain if different types of horses aren’t judged equally.

RodeoGirl----You echo my thoughts well except for the polo shirt issue At WEF. I don’t think it was so much an attempt to de-elite the sport but rather a matter of practicality and comfort for the riders. I know i’m in the minority on this issue, but I think a revamping of show clothing is in order for all aspects of our sport. Tradition aside, why should riders wear a wool jacket, shirt and tie in 90 degree heat or freeze their butts off in the dead of winter? But let’s save that for another topic.

Hobson has always known I was in her camp. Hell I am a former Greenpeace Employee and I do support Animal Rights. I don’t like Fox hunting and I am a horse owner.

But I am off to go sailing now and I just don’t feel like arguing with some right wing radical today. Peace Out!!

MB

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Midge:
I think those things are better handled at the state and local level.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree - I would too - but it IS still government. And I think the point that was being made earlier was that “government” should butt out, and leave “taking care of people” up to individuals and NGOs . . . there are lots of state and local aid agencies, as well, that contribute to people’s perceptions of “handouts”.

JMO

I think, though, this thread has strayed a LONG way from the original intent, which was an interesting question . . . I still stand by my position that the horse world is already PC, by the original meaning . . .