Unlimited access >

Winderen Gel Bits - Anyone tried them?

This boy had a real issue being bridled/ accepting a bit so I took him bitless and he literally shoves his head into the bridle now.
But like you say we can’t do everything we want to bitless so trying to find as soft an alternative as possible.
I can’t find what I want secondhand, no one offers a trial on them and new is £120……a lot to lose on a chance he might accept it.

1 Like

I tried one for a horse who really liked a leather bit and I needed something US dressage legal. I bought the “super flexi” which is the softest mouthpiece they offer. It was too thick (18mm) for this particular horse. He ended up in a Trust with the thinner mouthpiece (15mm).

The bit is highly durable and well worth a try if your horse has room for a thicker bit.

2 Likes

What is the Trust bit? The four students horses going in the 18mm Winderen (have only tried super flexi and broken mouthpieces so far in loose ring and eggbutt) like them but it would be nice to have a thinner diameter for one of the horses who does not have a lot of room in his mouth. emphasized text

https://www.trust-equestrian.com/?lang=en

The thin Inno Sense is 15mm. I bought it from Hypostore because they had the thin one in stock when I was looking.

@george - IMO the Trust is slightly firmer than the Winderen super flexi and slightly more flexible than a Duo or Nathe.

1 Like

Trust makes a 15mm and a 20mm. I’ve been considering the flexi soft or the Winderen since I have one that really seems to like the Nathe mouthpiece but I’d like an eggbutt cheek. My horses don’t chew the Nathe. I started with it for my young horse who had issues pushing into the contact properly and went through a period of some problems with his teeth.

I wound up getting a loose ring for my other, made horse who has a super soft mouth, because he hates the cold of the metal bits in winter. Sometimes he would grind his teeth a little bit when working on something hard, and since using the Nathe, which I originally thought would be too thick for him, he has not done any grinding at all. He’s super quiet in the mouth always.

I don’t really love the material though and how it turns kind of yellow, so have been curious about the other brands and finding cheek pieces suitable for dressage or the hunters for these super sensitive boys.

2 Likes

I haven’t used the Winderen bits on any horses personally, but I recently worked for a bit fitter and so got to handle them when we brought them in for clients/fittings. They are THICK. I don’t know a lot of horses that would be truly, absolutely comfortable in them as they just take up a lot of oral real estate. That being said, the material is heckin’ durable, so if you have a chronic chewer, the pros might outweigh the cons!

I would personally choose the Trust Inno Sense as a first option since they have sizes that are more suitable to a range of palates.

2 Likes