Unlimited access >

Winter Foaling!

I have a mare heavy in foal (they said should birth in 30 days) coming from Missouri to Massachusetts this week. She is at an auction so arrangements needed to be made quickly to get her to safety… I have a few questions as I’m concerned about her foaling here in winter.

Blanketing: I was planning on blanketing her when she got here as our nights are in the single digits. Where she is now the lows are 20-30 degrees and she doesn’t look to have a winter coat.

Do I blanket and remove when she’s in labor? Or leave on?

If I remove leg straps can she stay blanketed with the foal?

Should I blanket the foal once dry, or too dangerous with a newborn?

I’m planning to lock her in the stall with a heat lamp above until foal is dry, but it is not a very warm barn and other horses won’t be too close as we are quarantining.

How does everyone turn out if they have a winter foal?

She has an attached run out that is about 15’x30’ but the ground will be frozen or snow.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is a first for a winter foal! And since she has been in a warmer climate I’m assuming the foal won’t be born with much coat.

Thank you!

Was she living in MO or just passing through at auction? If she lived there, the climate difference should be negligible. I would plan to blanket the foal. Blanketing late term mares or ones with foals at their side can be hazardous, so I’d skip it. As long as she’s got plenty of forage and adequate body condition, she should be ok inside without.

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it! She’s from Kentucky, so I think similar weather to MO.

We’ve been unusually cold here in Kentucky since December. I would not blanket an in foal mare. Nor would I blanket her after she foals. There’s too much chance of something going wrong. You can blanket the baby once it’s born if necessary. There are special foal blankets that don’t have straps or clasps.

Pregnant mares that are in good weight and have access to good grass or hay generally have no problem staying warm even in the coldest weather. Here’s a pic of my TB mare who was due last week. She doesn’t have a ton of coat, but she’s been perfectly happy outside in our (KY) 20 degree weather.

Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you so much!! She looks to have a similar coat, I’m used to ours being wooly mammoths up here! I feel a lot better after seeing your mare! Thanks !!

1 Like