winter pain management

Its that time:( other than my electric blanket thats a godsend. Any tips? Im still waiting to see my rheumy about low dose codeine and possibly pt. And still waiting to see if im eligible for cnd disability.

Right now im barely getting by on otc tylenol 1 and tylenol 3

Aw, sorry Teddy.

I’m a severe fibromyalgia sufferer but the only time I feel any better is fall & winter. Summer is the worst for me. I so wish I were a Canadian (the weather, your beautiful country, the French Canadian language, poutine, Tim Hortons, etc. )

I take Ultram & 2 tylenol for pain. Ultram is super and “non-addictive”. Daily p.m. maintenance meds - Topomax (pain reducation) & Wellbutrin (energy). I used to take Cymbalta, which was pretty nice, but we just switched to the two former as I’d been on Cymbalta for a few years.

Chemical heat packs in your shoes/sneakers for your toes. I just bought lots of smartwool socks (recommended on COTH) and they are super.

Do feel better, eh.

Thx!! Ohh my fave is chicken poutine!!! I have to be carefull drug wise from kidney issues.

Asthma makes summer horrid and ra makes winter horrid
Now if i got in the senate i could work once a year and still be paid:lol:

no money = no riding :frowning:

Ah, nothing is simple sometimes. Sorry about all that, Teddy.

I get the daily digest sent from a Yahoo group for fibromyalgia and they often have great ideas and are quite up on the latest. Maybe do a search for “yahoo” “groups” and “fill in your issue” & subscribe to that digest? Those people are sharp & right on it.

I guess you get kidney & liver enzymes done every few months as all of us chronic pain med users do?

I wonder if Ultram is easier on the kidneys than codeine. See what your Dr. says. Cymbalta is nice, in case that could be an option. Lyrica is Horrible to take, though.

Chicken poutine - I’m not familiar but now I have to find out and make it. I make poutine at least a few times a year. (Yes, I really do wish I were a Canadian.)

A long time ago, I used to make trips to your country (with a friend from Quebec) to scout out racehorses to bring to the US. We used to go to Kingston Park Raceway. I have such fond memories of it all.

I didn’t know that raceway closed. :frowning: Sad.

I just searched for it and found it on this cool website:

http://www.ontarioabandonedplaces.com

Try to feel better & best wishes,
Sonoma

You can get Voltaren OTC in Canada unlike here in the US. Have you tried that?

Thank you. Ugg monthly bloodwork sucks, soon they will find the vein via track marks from all the other blood test!!

I deffinately suggest you get ahold of st.albert cheese, gives a whole new experience poutine wise!!

Hello again, fellow pain pal.

Monthly blood - eeesh? Well, I’m glad they are on top of things, though.

I looked up St. Albert cheese. I found somewhere that I may be able to mail order it. (http://www.forfar.com/order.asp) I have to put in my address later and see what the shipping price comes to and all.

What other St. Albert’s products do you suggest since I might be putting in an order?

I want to white curds, yes? Do the yellow ones have a different flavor?

St. Albert cheese is a big deal, though, when I Googled it; must be awesome. There is even the St. Albert Cheese Curd Festival.

Pathetically, I’ve been making my poutine here with chopped mozzarella. I’ve heard that is the closest thing we have.

Oh - now I hear screaming from up North. That must be you all at the thought of my chopped mozzarella. :slight_smile:

Heat french fries in toaster oven, toss chopped mozzarella over, pour heated brown gravy over. Does that sound sort of right?

Another thing I never really knew was when we went on the horse buying trips, I’d see “Chinese-Canadian food” restaurants. I always wondered why it was different than just Chinese food. Here - it’s just called Chinese food. Do they still call it Chinese-Canadian by you?

Sorry for the somewhat silly topics and questions.

Do go easy and feel well,
sonoma

Teddy, we must be in approximately the same neck of the woods. I’m about a hour’s drive from St. Albert’s Cheese. I love the curds (only when warm and fresh, though) and the very mild cheese.

About pain management in the winter – unfortunately, I just suffer. Tylenol doesn’t stop the Reynauds, and my hands swell something awful when they get cold. I don’t have RA, rather Polymyalgia Rheumatica. All I can do to help is to send warm thoughts. April is coming…

[QUOTE=sonomacounty;5959473]
Hello again, fellow pain pal.

Monthly blood - eeesh? Well, I’m glad they are on top of things, though.

I looked up St. Albert cheese. I found somewhere that I may be able to mail order it. (http://www.forfar.com/order.asp) I have to put in my address later and see what the shipping price comes to and all.

What other St. Albert’s products do you suggest since I might be putting in an order?

I want to white curds, yes? Do the yellow ones have a different flavor?

St. Albert cheese is a big deal, though, when I Googled it; must be awesome. There is even the St. Albert Cheese Curd Festival.

Pathetically, I’ve been making my poutine here with chopped mozzarella. I’ve heard that is the closest thing we have.

Oh - now I hear screaming from up North. That must be you all at the thought of my chopped mozzarella. :slight_smile:

Heat french fries in toaster oven, toss chopped mozzarella over, pour heated brown gravy over. Does that sound sort of right?

Another thing I never really knew was when we went on the horse buying trips, I’d see “Chinese-Canadian food” restaurants. I always wondered why it was different than just Chinese food. Here - it’s just called Chinese food. Do they still call it Chinese-Canadian by you?

Sorry for the somewhat silly topics and questions.

Do go easy and feel well,
sonoma[/QUOTE]

sounds about right cept for the cheese!!! For poutine you want the white curds, and a brick of marble for snacking :lol: comes in alot of varieties but its the best brand:lol:

i worry about rubs and creams being used on my hands

draftdriver where are you? Im in the land of polititians aka ottawa

sonoma its plain chinese here, im not a big fan its caked with msg.

Teddy, I’ve retired from AgCan, and am in the Kemptville area.

About the only time I’m warm in the winter is when I’m singing with the choir. I guess it gets the blood oxygenated. I’ve tried singing on my own in the house and barn, but the dogs mob me, and the horses give me the sourest looks : “just shut that noise down and let me eat in peace!” Haha.

[QUOTE=draftdriver;5962168]
Teddy, I’ve retired from AgCan, and am in the Kemptville area.

About the only time I’m warm in the winter is when I’m singing with the choir. I guess it gets the blood oxygenated. I’ve tried singing on my own in the house and barn, but the dogs mob me, and the horses give me the sourest looks : “just shut that noise down and let me eat in peace!” Haha.[/QUOTE]

too funny i live behind agcan!! Lol my cats dont appriciate my singing either.

Staying warm for me? My body has issues regulating itself and my usual temp is 96-97 so when its normal i have a fever lol. Im always too hot or cold

[QUOTE=sonomacounty;5956987]
Aw, sorry Teddy.

I’m a severe fibromyalgia sufferer but the only time I feel any better is fall & winter. Summer is the worst for me. I so wish I were a Canadian (the weather, your beautiful country, the French Canadian language, poutine, Tim Hortons, etc. )

I take Ultram & 2 tylenol for pain. Ultram is super and “non-addictive”. Daily p.m. maintenance meds - Topomax (pain reducation) & Wellbutrin (energy). I used to take Cymbalta, which was pretty nice, but we just switched to the two former as I’d been on Cymbalta for a few years.

Chemical heat packs in your shoes/sneakers for your toes. I just bought lots of smartwool socks (recommended on COTH) and they are super.

Do feel better, eh.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hijack your thread Teddy, but sonomacounty could you tell me more about the Topomax and Wellbutrin vs Cymbalta thing? I’ve been on Cymbalta for 6 years now and I currently take as much Ultram (extended relief and regular) as I can. Google tells me that Topomax is a seizure preventative but you use it for pain control? Have an appointment next week with my Rheumy and I will bring it up. Thanks!

I just have to ask all of you fibromyalgia sufferers. Have you been adequately tested for Lyme?

Sure have been tested for Lymes many, many, many, many times, Laura KY.
Thanks, though.

Evie G:

Just saw this, so apologies for being two days late.

I subscribe to the Yahoo Groups “Fibromites” board for fibros. You can find some pretty good ideas there. I get my ideas from them.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Fibromyalgia_Support_Group

My body is multi-problematic so I tried to get a new combo that would work on some of the individual issues and the whole. I also work in medicine and have a pretty progressive (& awesome) Physician’s Assistant (who I use as my “doc”) so she is open to many of my ideas, as long as they make sense.

Topamax - 25 mg at night (for migraines, fibro, chronic plantar fasciatis)
Does give you some brain fog but that gets much better over time; I’d start with a micro-tiny dose (1/4 of a tablet) (I do my own tapering up and down of meds.) It works great for chronically sore feet. I also like it because it is supposed to cut appetite, instead of how many of these meds can make you gain weight.

Wellbutrin - 325 (mg.) XL - extended release at night. Supposed to help with the fatigue. Does it? - I “think” so. Supposed to also help cut appetite/food cravings. Another one that does not make you gain weight.

After trying Lyrica for a little bit and immediately feeling all puffed out and huge, I want my meds to lean the opposite way. Oh, have I lost any weight from them - no, unfortunately not. Lyrica is evil, though.

I’m not “heavy” but am no longer my lean mean equitation weight. I guess middle age tends to do that to you also, though.

I have a friend with chronic pain who takes Neurontin but that is said to make you gain. I “may” try that next time to switch up as she’s had great success with it.

An interesting idea I’ve seen lately is someone taking Adderral (ADHA med) for fibro fatigue.

Feel better. PM me anytime you want, too.
Sonoma

Toradol/Prednisone. Warm water exercises. Heated seats in cars.
Cymbalta didn’t help me, nor did Lyrica. And while opiates DID, they also got me hooked. So no more of those for me!
The biggest thing for me is getting good sleep- I take sleep meds, and use a CPAP.