Unlimited access >

Wondercide flea and tick spray

So my dog is on Simparica Trio which definitely kills the ticks (and we have no problem with fleas) but… the ticks are soooo bad this year. They bite him and then die but it makes him dig at himself where they attach, seriously there was one stuck to his lip yesterday (yuck!!).
I talked to my vet and she suggested Wondercide as a spray for before a hike etc
Has anyone used this recently? Are any of the scents better than the others? Has anyone found the scents to be over-powering to their dog?

My wife and I tried Wondercide but it was useless against ticks here in upper New York State. We found the smell overpowering to our noses and worried about how the dogs were perceiving it. We tried both the cedar and the rosemary.

1 Like

I find cedar spray really useful for ticks on me but don’t use it on the dogs because the cedar scent is overwhelming. I like picaridin on the dogs for supplemental tick protection.

2 Likes

Thank you @Simkie and @AMackechnie - you both confirmed what I was worried about. I will look at the picaridin

I use cedar oil spray on me and my dog when visiting friends in N. WI, aka: tick central. We had a few ticks on us after a hike around the lake, but none were attached. I only spray my dog from the neck down, but I don’t find the scent that strong and my dog doesn’t act bothered. My friend uses a feed through pill for her dog. He had several ticks, many attached, and has had bouts of Lyme and Erlichiosis over the years. By the end of the weekend, everyone wanted to use my cedar spray, so I left it up there as I was only visiting a long weekend. Now my friends swear by this stuff!

Thanks- do you know the name of the cedar spray you used?

I think it was Dr. Ben’s, but not 100% sure. I think I just got the cheapest bottle I could because after comparing labels, they all seemed the same: 10% cedar oil and the rest water & inert ingredients.

Awesome- thank you!

1 Like