Unlimited access >

Words from the midst of terror that have been a comfort for so long...but now?

Ann Frank , her bravery and courage in the face of such terror can give strength to any of us in times of devastation, misery, saddness, and horror.
A beautiful line from her Diary, I have cherished and held dear to see the beauty of the world and all the wonderful life in it. I have tried to keep these words in my heart so often in the past, but with everything that has happened their meaning has grown a bit dim as a part of me has as well.

"because in spite of everything I believe that people are really good at heart.

I wish that were the truth.

However, I have found in my life that there are really self-interested people out there that don’t give a **** about who or what they hurt in pursuit of whatever type of glory that means the most to them.

I just have a problem accepting that…

“Come hup you hugly beast!” Surtees

I saw him perform this song live at an honoring for the men and women who served in the Persian Gulf crisis.

That quote was not made by Anne Frank, but rather people who found her diary after her capture and added it after the fact. It was made to “bubblegum” up the whole situation that she had gone through. Sorry its not real.

Our friend, Kelly, on JB’s board gave us this earlier today:

"Before I read my bible I always pray that God will give me something to set my mind at ease, or something to put my day in perspective. What I read last night blew my mind, because I think it really pertained to the situation yesterday. I was so scared all day of more attacks and starting a war. These are the two passages God found for me.

Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. The troubles of my heart have multiplied; free me from my anguish. Look upon my affliction and distress, and take away all my sins. See how my enemies have increased and how fiercely they hate me! Guard my life and rescue me; let me not be put to shame, for I take refuge in you. May integrity and uprightness protect me, because my hope is in you.

Psalm 27:13 I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord, be strong and take heart, and wait for the Lord.

These verses put my mind at rest, and I was so much more relaxed after I read them. I think everything will be okay in the end. I’m going out to put my ribbons on my car.

Kelly&Bo"

Member - Baby Greenie Support Group, HorseShowMom Clique, and Midwest Clique

That is sad it is not “true”, But It was still an ideal I had at looking at people.

Thanks dcm…I feel calmer and somehow reassured reading those words.

“Throw your heart over the fence and your horse will follow.”

Moesha, good to hear from you. I must have missed any of your recent posts. Glad you are back with us.

“The older I get, the better I used to be.”

That as vastly varying in opinions we are as a group, we are able to join together to celebrate our common beliefs and share the cameraderie that only comes from belonging to a “FREE” society.

That is what is at the heart of our common shock. That is what has brought us together.

We, as a group of like minded, albeit diverse, people share in the realization that our safe, secure world, has been threatened.

Beyond the comprehension of those who think to bring down our society lies the basic tenet that an we, as an educated society, have as a basic advantage. WE can perceive a better life. We can admit to the failures of mistakes made in the past and to learn from them to better the future.

Amid the horror of current events, I recall the situations surrounding the brightest of Iranian college students, amid educations in the US and set upon by the rabid anti Iranian feelings on the heels of the embassy hostage takeover.

The United States prides itself on being a melting pot, we have benefited greatly by garnering the best and brightest of all the ethnic peoples who have fled to our shores in hope of a better future for their families. Be glad in your neighbors. Cherish them as friends.

For a while, Moesha, I was wondering about your silence and just about concluded that you are a speech writer for the Prez. Now I realize that you are much too intelligent and insightful.

Lee Greenwood… “And I’m proud to be an American, where at least I know I’m free. I won’t forget the men who died who gave that right to me.”

" And the flag still stands for freedom,
and they can’t take that away."

" I’ll gladly stand up,
and defend her still today.
I love this land, there is no doubt-
God Bless the USA"

Ann Frank , her bravery and courage in the face of such terror can give strength to any of us in times of devastation, misery, saddness, and horror.
A beautiful line from her Diary, I have cherished and held dear to see the beauty of the world and all the wonderful life in it. I have tried to keep these words in my heart so often in the past, but with everything that has happened their meaning has grown a bit dim as a part of me has as well.

"because in spite of everything I believe that people are really good at heart.

"If tomorrow all the things were gone I’d worked for all my life
And I had to start again with just my children and my wife
I’d thank my lucky stars that I was livin’ here today
Cuz the flag still stands for freedom
And it’s time to stand and say:

That I’m proud to be an American
Where at least I know I’m free
And I won’t forget the men who died
Who gave that right to me
And I’ll gladly stand up
Next to you
And defend her still today
Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.!

From the wheatfields of Minnesota
To the hills of Tennessee
Across the plains of Texas
From sea to shining sea
From Detroit down to Houston
From New York to LA
There’s a pride in every American heart
And it’s time we stand and say:

That I’m proud to be an American
Where at least I know I’m free
And I won’t forget the men who died
Who gave that right to me
And I’ll gladly stand up
Next to you
And defend her still today
Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.!"

During Desert Storm, I lived in Hawaii and spent my nights at a singalong pub frequented by members of military. This was the most requested song every night. The piano player (who lived on tips and request $$) played it free of charge as often as requested. God bless you Brent.

~Kryswyn~
“Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo”

[This message was edited by Kryswyn on Sep. 12, 2001 at 10:47 PM.]