Unlimited access >

Working Equitation...sorta

I spent many years riding hunters, and rode to hounds a few times. As I think about my “equine retirement” I’ve ridden in many different disciplines, but I am at my heart a hunter and likely always will be.

I keep wondering if there’s room for something LIKE working equitation, but aimed at hunters. A version of the skills that would make a good fox-hunter. Think trail class mixed with hunter class where they open/close a gate, trot over obstacles, canter a solid coop, cross a bridge, take off a jacket, stand etc. So a patterned trail class, then there would be a flat class, where they would have to behave in a group similar to the way show hunters work now, but perhaps with less emphasis on gait (and maybe they’d have to take turns over a jump or something - really similar to how it works in the field), and then a flat pattern class which would be similar to the training level dressage, but hunter-style.

The format of working equitation is great, but I think the horses and riders that excel at that are much closer to the iberian ideal and working cattle (because of the origins) and not necessarily riding to hounds. A lot of the obstacles are tighter and the speed round faster than I would expect a good field hunter to handle.

I know the Derbies were supposed to be sort of like this, but I don’t think that’s what ended up happening.

Does anything exist like this now? Maybe I’m just adding another discipline where one doesn’t belong, and all that we have are perfectly adequate. I just keep thinking, man, if there were shows like that I’d totally train for them, and it would be a good way to help prep a young horse for fox-hunting on the off season :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I am familiar with a situation in which a trainer was able to convince the manager of a local show circuit to offer a new class by promising that she (the trainer) had enough of her own students interested in the class to fill it. It turned out that once the show started offering it, several other trainers also had students that were interested.

It took persistence and I understand that the trainer asked at every show of the circuit for a whole season, but it worked. The kind of class you’re talking about might be well suited for this approach. I bet you’re not the only person who would be interested.

3 Likes

Interesting idea!
I am in awe of Working équitation horses and riders. Those videos are amazing and yes, always Iberian horses in the best ones. However it could certainly be adapted to create what you describe, for a schooling show.
Competitive trail riding also has a lot of fun, useful aspects/ideas, too.
I bet such a class at a schooling show would attract quite a few people!

2 Likes

These classes exist, but only in areas with a strong foxhunting support. They used to be quite common, but as hunter horse shows got more distant from their roots, they started to disappear.

Warrenton’s Hunt Night is an example.

The Foxhunter classes usually include stuff like opening a gate, dropping a rail, trotting a fence, and a hand gallop and hold hard.

Staff classes include cracking a whip and a view holloa as well.

Some hunt clubs sponsor something called Hunter Trials, which is a horse show especially for field hunters and field hunter types. The over fences classes are held over an outside course, and there are classes like a true handy hunter and a mock hunt. Some classes are open to horses who have not hunted/riders who are not members.

The reason why more modern shows don’t offer these classes is, quite simply, time. They take more time to run, and most show organizers would rather run more horses through the ring than offer something different and more time consuming.

3 Likes

The MFHA has a field hunter championship with qualifiers that looks sort of similar and super fun, but only horses that have hunted qualify. I do wonder if an open division might attract new people.

The regular hunter trials and paces near us are very popular with non fox hunters-- eventers and show hunters mostly but I’ve also seen trail riders and western riders at the paces. But they are mostly just outside courses.

1 Like

That’s kind of part of what I was wondering. I know our local hunt is frequently inviting people to events, but even hound walking can sound pretty intimidating to a newbie if you don’t know your horse will cope. Some people are just way more comfortable starting (or staying!) in the ring :slight_smile:

I totally get why a “traditional” Hunter show might not want to offer a division like that, but pattern classes are popular in breed lands, so it might be its own “thing”.

I own a facility with a large ring and parking enough to give a schooling show of it a try. Maybe this summer I’ll give it a go - see if some of my friends from the local hunt will give it some backing (not financial, just social). When I was boarding horses here my boarders loved Obstacle course Sundays where we would set up a course, drink some wine (middle aged women attended) and practice obstacles. It gave the timid riders something to focus on, and the little bit of liquid courage helped!

2 Likes

This sounds like a lot of fun and definitely something I would be interested in doing. Would be more interested if it were separate from regular hunter shows.

I think I am in the same area as you so if you did host something at your farm, I’d likely show up.

1 Like

that sounds like a lot of fun - think if you keep the social aspect of your obstacle course sundays you could get a good crowd. maybe market it as a challenge or clinic more than a competition?

2 Likes