Unlimited access >

Working In Germany

Hi, I’m going to be a working student in Germany at the end of February 2017, and would like to stay for year, but I’m not entirely sure what kind of permit I need to get? The position offers housing, but no pay. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this and can offer any advice?
Thanks in advance!

Where are you from…? It’s pretty hard to work in the EU as a US citizen (especially if you don’t have a real job offer - which I wouldn’t think a working student position would be) but maybe you’re from the UK? Canada? Are you already studying abroad? You might find that it is helpful to look on some travel/expat forums.

Try contacting the nearest Goethe Institute branch to you. They are an outreach organization for all things German and should be able to help you.

P.S. Adding a location to your details can help people help you.

Depends where you are from. If you’re from Canada (or Australia/NZ), apply for a Work & Travel visa (or I think sometimes they are called Working Holiday Visa).

For US citizens, it is a lot harder. You will need to apply for a visa if you are staying over 90 days. I guess you position would be most comparable to an unpaid praktikum/internship, but there are some regulations what constitutes an internship, e.g. if this is part of a degree at a US college/university (i.e. for credits). If you don’t meet these criteria, you would need to apply for a regular work permit.
You need to apply to your local consulate/embassy, but the decision will be made in consultation with the “Ausländerbehörde” (foreigner’s office) in the region where you intend to stay. The consulate oe embassy will also be able to advise you what permit to apply for.
All documents are in German.

I would also strongly encourage you to look into insurance. Since you are not paid, you will probably have zero insurance through your employer. Although Germany has a free health care system, you will.not be eligible for it. You will need to prove that you have health care for the duration of your stay.