Unlimited access >

Working student budget/questions

I’ve been offered a long term working student position with an upper level eventer (yaye!). I’ve never had a working student position before, but I’ve been riding with this person as a regular student for about a year. I’m 25 and currently manage a boarding facility with show horses so I know all about the work.

My main question is: what is a reasonable monthly budget? The position starts unpaid, but will turn into a paid position once I’m established. I’m not yet sure what the time frame for that is so my second question is: What is a reasonable time frame to begin being paid? 6 months? A year?

I am taking my horse with me and our housing is covered. I’m required to cover my food, clothes, etc and my horse’s hard expenses. The job requires me to travel regularly between NJ and Aiken, but at this point I’m assuming travel is covered since I’ll be going back and forth with the horses.

My wonderful parents are prepared to back me through it all, we are just wondering what a basic monthly budget needs to be. Thanks so much for any input!

May I suggest that you do not work unpaid? Negotiate a rate that you are paid, that is commensurate with your experience, knowledge and responsibilities, then you pay your mentor for your and your horse’s board out of this. That way, if your horse is injured and shipped home to Mum and Dad, or if you decide not to live-in, but to rent a share-house nearby, that it is all above board. I have known of situations where this happened, and even though the horse and human accomm was taken out of he picture, the remuneration didn’t change! Also, if you are traveling to events and around the countryside, be aware of what this can cost you - you should get per diems from your boss to cover the meals that would otherwise be part of your board and lodging if you were at home.

[QUOTE=Equa;7513695]
May I suggest that you do not work unpaid? Negotiate a rate that you are paid, that is commensurate with your experience, knowledge and responsibilities, then you pay your mentor for your and your horse’s board out of this. That way, if your horse is injured and shipped home to Mum and Dad, or if you decide not to live-in, but to rent a share-house nearby, that it is all above board. I have known of situations where this happened, and even though the horse and human accomm was taken out of he picture, the remuneration didn’t change! Also, if you are traveling to events and around the countryside, be aware of what this can cost you - you should get per diems from your boss to cover the meals that would otherwise be part of your board and lodging if you were at home.[/QUOTE]

These are all great points. I’m not certain I could get paid from the start…but maybe set a serious deadline for when I need to be? I know I bring more value than a green, dream filled teenager who’s ponied around for a few years. I have the ability to make judgement calls that only the experience of a management position can give you. I will definitely bring this up! Thanks!

It would be a good idea for you to set out in writing what your role and responsibilities are, and what the cold hard blunt monetary value is to your employer (what would they have to pay a groom? a stable cleaner? a rider? - for doing what you will be doing). Then, set out the cash value of your board and your horse’s board, and the extras such as lessons, transport to events etc. that you have been promised. You might find that you are not owed anything to start with, but you need to have a mechanism in place to stay on top of this; a schedule of reviews where you discuss your progress and your boss’s expectations alongside your performance. It can seem all sweetness and light at first, and then you can get stuck in a position where the status quo just remains and there is no mechanism for change. It is really hard, because you can’t really put a value of working with a big name rider, but you mustn’t undervalue your contribution, either! You may find that at comps, if you are competing too, that it is your horse that is braided last, iced last…gets the worst spot on the truck…

I would also be sure that the employer has worker’s comp coverage for you.

You probably know better than anyone else what your basic costs are. I know that I spend about $500 a month just on food, health insurance, and my cell phone. Add in horse shoes, supplements, entries for one or two recognized events a month, auto insurance for your car if you are keeping one, miscellaneous stuff like Tampax and horse treats-- probably $1500+.

Very awesome of you guys to point out all of these things…worker’s comp and a schedule of progress reports had not crossed my mind.

As far as budget, this is my last year on my parent’s health and car insurance and they’ve agreed to continue paying that until I’m dropped by the policies. Thank god. I do cover my phone, food, clothes, fuel, etc. so I think $1500 is a good place to start!

Obamacare for a single woman without a (paid) job is ridiculously cheap for good coverage, IME. Even if your parents pay the policy, saving hundreds of dollars is always a good thing.

You may want to learn how to budget a little better if you’re taking poorly paid positions. $1500/month when all housing is covered is a LOT of money. That’s what a young professional making a large salary might be spending but seems excessive for an unpaid working student.

Personally, I’d have all of that information down in a contract. I wouldn’t work unpaid for more than a couple of months, definitely not a year!! And definitely talk about salary/raises in specific terms, like any other job negotiation.

I think the $1500 per month for living expenses sounds reasonable. Figure $200 for horse shoes, $400 for competitions, $100 for vet bills, $100 for a new helmet or pair of boots or other clothing that wears out, $100 for gas for the car, $400 for food, and $200 for miscellaneous such as a car repair or dental bill.

Whatever you do, do not use your credit card to fill in gaps. When I had a practically unpaid position I had to use my CC to help me survive. This ended in a pile of debt that took me years to pay off. Budget correctly before you go and see if you can work in a small stipend to start. Every little bit helps. Good luck!

Make sure to insure your horse for major medical! And also look at your show fees farrier bills and replacement for equipment costs…a stand by emergency fund might well come in handy. Also as others have stated get everything in writing …does your horse ship free? Aiken expenses away show housing? Days off vacation , emergency leave, compensation for stall if your horse is injured!