Working Student in Germany with No Contract

Im in the EU right now and family could help get me there

she said I would get insurance.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

5 Likes

Yeah but I heard internship regulations are different in Germany and that it is more “laid back” then again I don’t know I think I might be thinking very naively. I’m just trying to decide if I should jump for this opportunity or hold back and try to find another option. This would be work over summer break only.

1 Like

Oh, hell no. That is shady AF.
Cautionary tale #1: (cue music)
A long, long time ago, I can still remember how much it sucked when I became an involuntary working student. My sister and her friend spent a summer as working students at an eventing facility. Having no competitive aspirations, I had a “regular” summer job. (I already got enough stall cleaning at home, and, while I like backpacking, if I’m not in the mountains, I want a shower, a flush toilet and accomodations other than an elderly camper with no AC.

Long story short, they talked me into joining them for a week, though I opted to PAY for my mare and myself to be there and take lessons. One lesson, day I got there. Rest of the time? I paid to clean stalls and turn out horses. Being a non-confrontational teen, I sucked it up for a while, then packed up my horse and left.

This trainer wasn’t even shady, IMO; I think she was just your typical disorganized horse pro who couldn’t keep track of who was doing what.

Cautionary tale #2 :
Later, as a grown-ass adult, in my first real job as a veterinarian, I took a job with a guy who was a real piece of work. He didn’t believe in contracts, and sold the idea as being safer for both parties not to be “trapped”–unfortunately, this meant no recourse when I was paid less than promised, wasn’t reimbursed for on-call work, no benefits. That was where I also learned to speak to both current AND past employees before considering a job. If the employer can’t or won’t provide names of previous people, especially in a working student or internship situation, that’s a bad sign.

16 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

10 Likes

If you are on a student visa then you should go either to an immigration lawyer or to the international student office at your university (if they have a good one) and get it explained exactly what you are and are not allowed to do on a visa. I was a student in the USA and there were different types of student visas. You may only be allowed to work on campus. You may be allowed to work in an internship related to your university course. Etc. don’t go on rumors or what you heard from friends

You and your prospective employer are collaborating to have you work secretly “under the table” without documentation or taxes paid, presumably because you are not actually allowed to work. You are both proposing to break labor and tax laws, without you understanding the ramifications. You stand to lose most.

You are dazzled and awe struck at the thought of meeting a hero. Realize you won’t ever see her on the job except at a distance and will likely get lessons from her junior assistants.

But first go to an immigration lawyer and get actual advice about your particular kind of visa.

12 Likes

phone calls to who? the visa center?

I feel like the odds are good he had the same view of marriage licenses. Lol.

3 Likes

Can you tell me specifically what the visa is? Is it a C Visa? Did you obtain this through your uni?

I worked in Germany and Austria (and hired others in Germany) so I have a little knowledge. Typically visas in Germany are very specific about what they can be used for, and you also have to register with the office exactly what your work entails, even for Schengen study. My understanding was that if you are from an EU country, you then do not need a student visa for study. Only non-EU folks do.

5 Likes

It is hard to think you may pass up an opportunity with a top rider. But this for sure sounds sketchy. I would find out if this opportunity is even legal to pursue with the visa you have.

I have an idea who “she” is. But I do not think you should post her name publicly.

4 Likes

It sounds like you are looking for the “yes go for it” answer. So go for it. Report back later if it went ok or if you’re in jail.

18 Likes

lol what?

I have an EU student visa

Without ever knowing her or anybody who has worked or ridden with her? That is a bit naive. Don’t like the fact you will be “off the books” either. It is a cheap way to get labor from non citizens. If shes so awesome why does she need help like that?

Might add in some very famous up to international level riders and trainers here in the US inspired the creation of Safe Sport. Celebrity is not a valid reason to blindly trust. At all.

24 Likes

As someone who was once young, aspired to work alongside top trainers and enjoyed adventures, I have to echo these three sentiments, which reflect my experiences as a working student:

I’m sure there are posters here who had fabulous working student positions. I, though, am not one of them. The whole proposition sounds sketchy, and the long hours leave me wondering exactly when you’re going to get those riding lessons.

10 Likes

I mean
she gave me the contact of a girl working there.

I’m getting the strong sensation based on your answers that you aren’t super detail oriented.

There are different types of visas and the rules are different in each country. People on this board have experience navigating the bureaucracy and just from these posts, I think you can tell that working in Europe is more involved than getting a job in the US. And that is to protect vulnerable workers.

Your hero knows this. All by itself, that’s a red flag and would be enough for most of us to say no thanks.

But you seem really determined to work for this person. So maybe that overrides the risks for you. What I will say, being a dual French and US citizen is that when you get sideways with visa rules, it can have serious consequences. So while you may not mind leaving this person’s farm if it doesn’t work out, it could very well have material consequences for you after the fact.

So why does she get a contract, but you do not? That’s even worse in my eyes???

9 Likes

she’s not an intern

also Im not from the US but I have long term residence in the EU and a student visa
not detail oriented
sure, but you don’t know the whole story too