Working Student in Germany with No Contract

Here are the rules about working in Germany on a student visa

https://www.germany-visa.org/immigration/residence-permit/residence-permit-international-students-germany/

1 Like

in addition to that I have en eu long term residence card

you need to talk to those NO LONGER working there

18 Likes

I will suggest reading this thread about a European Olympic Dressage rider that is in big trouble for both abusing her horses AND abusing her employees. I went on for years until some of the employees finally spoke up.

Olympian, dressage rider - serious abuse allegations - Dressage - Chronicle Forums (chronofhorse.com)

This is included in the first post:

From a human point of view, according to our information:

** theft of the identity documents of its employees preventing them from leaving the workplace.*
** Falsification of employment contracts, delay or absence of payment.*
** Harassment and verbal and psychological abuse.*
** Mental manipulation and isolation of employees.*
** Non-compliance with the Labour Code in terms of leave and working hours.*
** attempt at regular corruption to buy the silence of those who leave.*

8 Likes

đŸ€Š

Are you over 18 or considered an adult in Germany?

3 Likes

Are you studying in Germany? If not, your student visa, based on your attending a university in a different country, isn’t enough to allow you to work in Germany.

yes

Right, but I think the general rules on the amount of work allowed are still the same if you are not from the EU but residing in the EU on a student visa.

1 Like

I have no idea what that means in practice . Talk to an immigration lawyer now not in September after you’ve potentially screwed up. In Canada you don’t need a student visa if you have long term residency and long term residency is also a work permit so you need advice from people who know your system.

2 Likes

No they are not. Each country issues it’s own student visas and they have different rules around working. A student visa and the residence permit attached to it is not EU-wide.

Long term residence cards are also tied to a country. And it would be insane to risk that by working illegally or not meeting the requirements re health insurance etc. They are not so easy to get.

I don’t know how many times we have to repeat this.

7 Likes

But the visa for country A and the amount of work allowed in country A under that visa does not apply to the amount of work you can do in Germany if Germany isn’t country A
 you have to go with the German laws and have permits in Germany to work there.

4 Likes

Sorry, I think everyone is overreacting a bit here
 it sounds like an opportunity to work/ride with a big name rider for a short time
 a month or two is pretty limited, more like an internship, and probably therefore not worth it on the side of the host to go through lots of paperwork etc.

Will the OP probably be overworked? Perhaps
Not get 100% what they wished? Okay

But it might be a good learning experience and offer insight into the German riding sytem and other things she didn’t expect. Life is an adventure!

I did something similar in the Netherlands when I studied there, and left pretty soon after I ended up being more or less an unpaid groom. But it was still interesting and I don’t regret it. As long as the biggest risks are covered (do you have health insurance?) I wouldn’t call it a no-go just because there is no contract.

6 Likes

OP, I wasn’t reading carefully and missed that you were on a student visa my first read. The other posters who have experience working in Germany and other EU countries are trying to help you. Listen to them. Don’t do anything illegal in a foreign country. If you are, that itself could be something the employer could use to threaten you if things go south.

I would speak to the person handling your student visa (at your school) regarding the position. I would also speak to the rider (your prospective employer) about the legalities of your situation. That’s her job. I don’t know the legal particulars myself, only saying it’s important to check!

But a reference from a current employee means nothing. The person will not badmouth a current employer. Also, is the current employee in a similar situation as yourself (a foreigner)?

8 Likes

The student permit only allows part time work.

If she was studying at a German University, which she is not.

That is worth the air it is written on when you are in hospital with life-changing injuries. Horses are high risk.

14 Likes

If you are working illegally in Germany you won’t get insurance.

5 Likes

IME (lived in Germany for many years), Germans love contracts, so when one is not interested in a contract, I find it a bit suspicious.

31 Likes

There is a new organization called the International Grooms Association, which is designed to help grooms, and they would probably have a lot of helpful information for you. The membership is very inexpensive. Less than €20, I believe.

https://internationalgrooms.org/

4 Likes

I can’t imagine any insurance on the planet that would cover you for injuries sustained while working in a country illegally, and that’s what you’ll be doing, if you don’t go through the proper channels.

It’s no joke, you could be in serious trouble with immigration and whatever other German entities are involved. Whomever is offering to have you be a working student knows this, and unless they are an idiot, they know that you won’t be insurable unless you are working legally in Germany.

8 Likes