Unlimited access >

Working Student Position Info/Advice?

I am quickly approaching the finale of my high school career. I’ve always loved riding and taking care of horses, and I want to turn it into a career in the future. I’ve heard quite a bit about working student positions, especially have been interested in this after reading Courtney King Dye’s autobiography.

I unfortunately do not come from a family made from money. I have not been lucky enough to take top notch lessons from an amazing trainer, although I have taken lessons before and have learned the basics. I do not have any show experience. I want to aim for the hunter/jumpers.

Before people jump on me for thinking I could get anywhere by not having money out the wazoo or have had serious training, I am an extremely hard worker and learn very fast. I am dedicated to all I do and to what I love. I feel that dedication and the urge to learn more is more important than being a spoiled rider that has had everything handed to them or more important than having all the money in the world. (Yes, I know money is a BIG part of the equestrian world. I’m not that irrational.)

Although I’ve given my thoughts, I’d like for those who are working students or have been working students in the past to share their experiences on the whole idea. My goal is to get experience by training and riding, as well as learning more about equine management overall, and maybe eventually compete.

Thanks,
Sabrina
age 17

It depends on how much training and experience you’ve had up to this point. I grew up riding dressage and low level hunters and became a working student during college. Your first job will probably be just grooming and mucking and as you earn trust and skill, possibly being able to hack out horses and take care of the barn. It takes many years and your best bet is starting with a local but good trainer. You need to set goals on what you want to achieve and aim for each year. Do you want to train greens? Teach? Manage? Usually a professional does a little of all these things and more. Be ready to do the grunt work in order to gain a better position. I would also quickly learn to view the students who do have money and are so called “spoiled” as just another human being and potentially future clients. Some people have more luck than the rest of us. That does not make them spoiled. The two things you need to further yourself in this career is a good work ethic and a sponge for a brain. I would highly recommend going to college if your parents are paying for it. You can be a part time working student during the year and full time during the summers. I would recommend a degree in business that you can use to start your own business or go into the corporate world if you decide to do something different. There are tons of threads on working students on here. A great place to start is yardandgroom.com

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your input, and I will take a look at yardandgroom.com :slight_smile:

I actually cannot afford to go to college, and I am not up for paying off student loans for the rest of my life. However, a local community college offers free tuition for two years to students who graduate from the school I go to who earn a 3.0 GPA or higher. The college does offer business, so maybe I’ll look into their classes and what all they offer. And there are no stables in my area to apply at. I would have to go elsewhere.

That’s an unbeatable deal from the community college. I would take advantage of it, take the business classes, fit a part time job in and give myself the two years to a. gain some perspective on a plan and b. save some money, which you will need to live on if you decide to go the working student route. Good luck!

I would take the community college offer and go to school for those 2 years. Then, if you do become a working student, get EVERYTHING in writing - as far as what you are entitled to for your work. Everything.

You need to rethink your attitude when it comes to ‘spoiled riders’. These are the people who will be 1)offsetting the costs of your working student position 2)your future clients. The ‘spoiled riders’ are the ones who will enable you to earn a living in the horse world, best not to bite the hand that’s feeding you.

What is your current level of experience? Are you currently riding? You said you took lessons previously, do any of those instructors offer working student positions?

I agree with everyone else that you need to take full advantage of the free community college- you can easily be a part time WS and go to school as others have mentioned.

I was a working student for several summers through high school. I did it full-time. It was hard work but I learned a ton.

I started with a local trainer that my mom took lessons with, and then we moved to Florida and I met an olympic level rider who invited me to be a WS. If you know anyone that can introduce you to someone who manages a training program, that might help.

I honestly dunno about WS part time. I guess it depends where you are…if you want to work for a big-time trainer, you might have to relocate and WS full-time. Good thing you are a hard worker, because you will work hard, and long hours. I started riding young horses and just tacking/untacking/cooling off other people’s horses, feeding, etc and moved on to exercise riding up and coming show horses. It was a blast.

I also echo the post above, don’t knock people for having money. They support the industry buying horses, taking lessons, sponsoring Grand Prix riders, all of it. And, many of them are genuinely nice, supportive, wonderful people. I was totally the poor kid at the facility I WS’ed at, and everyone was amazing to me. I learned a lot about people and horses there.

I am all for going to school, also wondering can you defer at all? As in, is the free offer still good if you decide to wait a semester? You’ll get the best WS experience if you can do it full time and it will make you more valuable to them since you are a full time person they can count on. Also don’t know where you live and what kind of barns are around.

Good luck!

Bolding mine.

Ditch that attitude STAT. Maybe yesterday. That attitude is a huge turnoff. I would actually edit that post and remove that statement. That’s a terrible way to look at people who would be the ones to give you opportunities.

That community college deal is unbeatable, take advantage of it. Read Denny Emerson’s book “How Good Riders Get Good.” Watch tons of videos - you can occupy yourself on YouTube for hours.

What is your current level?

[QUOTE=supershorty628;7894056]
Bolding mine.

Ditch that attitude STAT. Maybe yesterday. That attitude is a huge turnoff. I would actually edit that post and remove that statement. That’s a terrible way to look at people who would be the ones to give you opportunities.

That community college deal is unbeatable, take advantage of it. Read Denny Emerson’s book “How Good Riders Get Good.” Watch tons of videos - you can occupy yourself on YouTube for hours.

What is your current level?[/QUOTE]

I agree with supershorty about your attitude. Your whole post comes off as someone who is resentful and snarky.

This question and perceived attitude shows up on this forum a lot. I get it, it’s frustrating to be behind where you’d like to be. But resenting the people who’ve had more opportunities isn’t the way to climb up the ranks.

OP, I’m going to rewrite your first post as an example of what I, if I were a potential chance-giver, would want to see. I’m not in a situation either financially or horse-wise where I could give an opportunity right now, but let’s say I have all the money in the world and a barn full of super nice horses. Here’s a revised version of your post that would, IMO, get hypothetical me’s attention in a good way.

[QUOTE=sabjoson;7892199]
Hi all, I’m Sabrina, age 17. I am quickly approaching the finale of my high school career. I’ve always loved riding and taking care of horses, and I want to turn it into a career in the future. I’ve heard quite a bit about working student positions, especially have been interested in this after reading Courtney King Dye’s autobiography.

While I have not been fortunate enough to be able to compete during my junior years, I have lots of experience with [problem horses? bringing along green horses? What is your strength?] and feel this is something that I excel at. I would like to further my education by serving as a working student/intern with a barn where I could learn about what goes into [whatever you are trying to learn about, be it competition horses, stable management, etc.]. I am prepared to work long hours and work my way up; I know I won’t be riding super nice horses from the get-go, but I hope to eventually be able to do so once I have the skills and training to be an asset.

I know that trainers cannot be fairy godmothers, horses cost money and so does instruction, but I am hoping to be able to use the skills I have and do whatever needs to be done around the barn (mucking stalls, grooming, etc.) for a chance to learn more.

I’d really appreciate it if those who are working students or have been working students in the past could share their experiences. I would like to make myself the best candidate possible to become part of a program that would educate me, not just as a rider, but as an all-around horseman.

Thanks,
Sabrina[/QUOTE]

Does that make sense? Does that help at all? I could have made it more clear if I knew more about what you know now.