Unlimited access >

Working Student Positions

Hello All,

I’m looking for tips on finding and securing the right fit and gig as a working student. I’d consider myself a more intermediate rider, up to level two dressage, and I’ve never truly competed. However, I’m dedicated to horses, and I’m willing to learn whatever I would need to learn. I have care and handling down, and a well-balanced seat in the saddle. All of that being said, I haven’t ridden in almost a year, and haven’t jumped in almost four. I can lunge easy going horses, and know how to handle aggressive horses. I’ve worked with horses that are hard to get moving as well as sensitive and/or hot horses. I can do basic first aid, spot lameness, feel lameness from the saddle, and bandage. I clean tack and am not afraid to get dirty.

I’m looking at starting around June of 2017 as that is when I would be able to drive without another licensed driver. I could possibly start sooner if a stable were biking distance (Up to 7 miles when avoiding RT 100) from where I work or my school.

Ideally, the environment would be highly competitive. I’m looking for a barn that specializes in Show Jumping/Hunter Jumper, Eventing, or Dressage. I know that there are lots of highly competitive stables seeing as I am mostly in Chester Springs and surrounding areas. I am not particularly picky as far as the reputation of a stable as long as there is still a competitive atmosphere and regular attendance at any kind of shows from local to A circuit level.

I also recognize that I am not as qualified as other working students, however as I mentioned earlier, I am willing to work hard. I deal well with others and have experience working with clients from my current role as a Veterinary Assistant and a Receptionist at a local veterinary hospital. I will be 16 on November the 15th.

I strongly strongly suggest to search through the forum for other threads on working student positions. Really. It’s nice that you are willing to clean tack. Expect to clean a lot of tack and stalls. Don’t expect to ride a lot in most positions. Especially since you haven’t been riding recently. Perhaps a better option would be to start back in lessons and get to know programs in your area.

You are sixteen and presumably in school, so a full time working student position isn’t really possible. Definitely start taking lessons again, then maybe you can work up to working some lessons off.

This, you need to get back into riding and being around the barn first, then start investigating possibilities. Most of these positions are word of mouth, not advertised, especially for minors needing parental consent and presenting insurance challenges.

You have to ask what you can offer them first, not what they can do for you. Get your skills up, make contacts, network…and probably wait until you are 18 for the best shot at a good WS position or, better, a paid position as groom/barn helper and build from there.

A true high-end working student position is an apprenticeship given to a young person who has the potential and desire to be a horse professional. Such a person would be an advanced rider with a competition record in the discipline that the barn does. I don’t think you are at that level, yet.

On the other hand, there are lots of opportunities to clean stalls in exchange for lessons or riding time, or to be paid to clean stalls or groom, depending on the level of care at the particular barn. Often the people who take those jobs are already in lesson programs at the barn.

Working student positions are tough but EXTREMELY worth it.

I recommend going with a smaller program. The bigger ones can be fun, but you will get less time in the saddle with the trainer, and will get lost in the shuffle. When I was a working student we had 15-17 horses, the trainer, and 2 working students. I worked about 80-90 hours a week depending on the competition schedule and got a lesson nearly every day, sometimes multiple depending on how many horses I was riding and what they needed to do. Lots and lots of tack cleaning, grooming, organizing, mucking, etc.
Your riding ability won’t matter nearly as much as your work ethic and willingness to learn. Look around at different positions available and visit for an interview or something if possible to get a feel for the atmosphere. It’s a super rewarding experience, if you’re in the right situation.

[QUOTE=EMST;8917673]
Hello All,

I’m looking for tips on finding and securing the right fit and gig as a working student. I’d consider myself a more intermediate rider, up to level two dressage, and I’ve never truly competed. However, I’m dedicated to horses, and I’m willing to learn whatever I would need to learn. I have care and handling down, and a well-balanced seat in the saddle. All of that being said, I haven’t ridden in almost a year, and haven’t jumped in almost four. I can lunge easy going horses, and know how to handle aggressive horses. I’ve worked with horses that are hard to get moving as well as sensitive and/or hot horses. I can do basic first aid, spot lameness, feel lameness from the saddle, and bandage. I clean tack and am not afraid to get dirty.

I’m looking at starting around June of 2017 as that is when I would be able to drive without another licensed driver. I could possibly start sooner if a stable were biking distance (Up to 7 miles when avoiding RT 100) from where I work or my school.

Ideally, the environment would be highly competitive. I’m looking for a barn that specializes in Show Jumping/Hunter Jumper, Eventing, or Dressage. I know that there are lots of highly competitive stables seeing as I am mostly in Chester Springs and surrounding areas. I am not particularly picky as far as the reputation of a stable as long as there is still a competitive atmosphere and regular attendance at any kind of shows from local to A circuit level.

I also recognize that I am not as qualified as other working students, however as I mentioned earlier, I am willing to work hard. I deal well with others and have experience working with clients from my current role as a Veterinary Assistant and a Receptionist at a local veterinary hospital. I will be 16 on November the 15th.[/QUOTE]

Just a comment on what I highlighted… that is never true.
One never is done learning care and handling.

I also second the idea to get riding now. You will often not get a lot of chances to ride in a WS position, but when you do it may be a harder to ride horse… it’s not often barns have creampuffs and when they do paying customers ride them, not WSs

ETA if you are interested in Dressage, I would also suggest learning to lunge a horse from someone who trains Dressage horses. Dressage horse are not lunged like the Hunters/Jumpers I’ve had experience lunging/seeing lunged. There is far, far more to it.

[QUOTE=cdeventing;8919715]
Working student positions are tough but EXTREMELY worth it.

I recommend going with a smaller program. The bigger ones can be fun, but you will get less time in the saddle with the trainer, and will get lost in the shuffle. When I was a working student we had 15-17 horses, the trainer, and 2 working students. I worked about 80-90 hours a week depending on the competition schedule and got a lesson nearly every day, sometimes multiple depending on how many horses I was riding and what they needed to do. Lots and lots of tack cleaning, grooming, organizing, mucking, etc.
Your riding ability won’t matter nearly as much as your work ethic and willingness to learn. Look around at different positions available and visit for an interview or something if possible to get a feel for the atmosphere. It’s a super rewarding experience, if you’re in the right situation.[/QUOTE]

OP isn’t old enough to drive alone yet and is looking for something in bike range, assume parental transport in bad weather if available. This is a time in their lives better suited to building skills and gaining knowledge in anticipation of looking for something like this later assuming living quarters are provided or parents will pay for that.

My barns have all taken in WS but they either are already clients in at least the lesson program or over 18 with well known reputation as a rider and their own car. IME the biggest hurdles for them are reliable transportation (and availability during the school year if they are younger) and the addition of living expenses for 18&up if not living at home or having parents pick it up. None of my barns provided anything outside of a spare bedroom or couch for a short time during relocation.

OP needs to consider all of this before embarking on a search for a WS position, which is usually defined as swapping labor for saddle time, no paycheck. That’s why an actual part time paying position or working off lessons at the home barn with current trainer might be a better way to go until OP is out of high school.

I have people ask me about Working Student positions quite frequently. I’ve learned that it really only works when I promote from within. It seems that “I’m a hard worker” means really different things to me and to the potential WS wannabes.

The things that are important to me:
*Must be available before the busy after school hours. Either home school or early release or already graduated.
*They need to have their own horse. They need to ride and jump and I can only provide lesson horses- I don’t use client horses or my own young horses for kids to get jumping miles.
*They must be around a lot so that they know the routine and I can count on them. I don’t need someone who wants to “work” one afternoon a week.
*Must be the type of kid that keeps their mouth shut. I don’t need a kid that stirs up trouble.
*Must be the kind of kid that notices things and finds things to do without me having to constantly ask.
*Must have solid horsemanship skills and instincts. I can show them how I like things done, but frankly, if they don’t know how to wrap a leg then they need to be a student for awhile.

Having said all that, holy cow, I have a kid right now that is fantastic. She will just appear out of nowhere when I need something, “Want me to bring you a smaller girth?” “Want me to sweat that leg again today?” “Do we need to send feed with that horse going to the clinic?” I love, love her and she is getting some really good opportunities. I have a feeling that she would be valuable wherever she decided to spend her time. She’s going to be that employee that exceeds expectations. Somewhere, somehow she has a work ethic. Bravo mom and dad.