WORKING STUDENT PROGRAMS

I am very interested in becoming a para dressage/jumping/eventing instructor. I am in dire need of a student work program. I might need room as I am from upstate New York, and I don’t have my own horse, but I am a hard worker as I have funded my horse schooling by having three part time jobs and I have been around horses more than I have been on horses, but I want to learn so badly about everything. I myself am interested in eventing, but again I just want to learn. So if there is anyone out there needing a student worker let me know.

Derri Jeffers in MD is often looking for one, read her ad in the PVDA newsletter

www.pvda.org

it includes room and board

[QUOTE=Tamerat688;5704909]
I am very interested in becoming a para dressage/jumping/eventing instructor. I am in dire need of a student work program.[/QUOTE]

As a Ia paradressage/dressage rider I find it very hard to find disabled friendly(normally therapy programmes) that can accomdation my needs as a para equestrian(not a therapy case study).

Examples:

I was in the top para/special stables in the country and I was asked to leave because she had another Ia rider. Her lost not mine

The programme I will starting with soon they have trained top special Olympians but not a para.They also dont have a float

Do you have a disabity?

Another that pisses me off is two programmes I spoke of in the example both have policies no wheelchairs in the yards:mad:

I wish you best of luck in search for a working student position in the para world. We need more para trainers who will teach jumping

Im in New Zealand

THAT’S just not fair!

Thank you for posting that position earlier…

To the second reply (sorry I am new at the whole forum thing)
I spent a lot of time in AUS, so I don’t know if it is politically correct if I call you a Kiwi, but anyway… I am super interested in eventing, and I was interested in therapeutic riding, but I realized that I didn’t want to walk around in circles with people who could articulate their goals of what they wanted to do on horseback (this has been my experience, I believe this type of riding is good for those who need it, but for some it does not suffice). I figured if I could get a position anywhere with some sort of dressage training included I could teach para. I want to teach people who have similar goals to mine, to show, to enjoy, to learn everything possible.

To answer your question about having a disability … no I do not have a physical disability, but my best friend has SB, and she spent 7 years on a lead rope at a therapy place, and she is very capable of articulating her own goals and wanted to advance and they would not let her.

As for that whole no wheelchairs on the grounds that’s crap. And floater? What is that? Do you have any reading materials you could recommend on para equestrian sports?

I am sorry to hear the news that you have written, and I wish I could do something more, but it is still a work in progress for me as I am searching daily for someone to take me. Just about anyone at this point. Like I said I figure if I learn one thing I can translate it to the next.

[QUOTE=Tamerat688;5706919]

I spent a lot of time in AUS, so I don’t know if it is politically correct if I call you a Kiwi,[/QUOTE] fine by me

Great beliefs but what seen its who plays better kiss up

[QUOTE=Tamerat688;5706919] I figured if I could get a position anywhere with some sort of dressage training included I could teach para. I want to teach people who have similar goals to mine, to show, to enjoy, to learn everything possible.[/QUOTE]http://www.fei.org/Disciplines/Para-Equestrian

For 12 years I played therapy games on horseback:mad:

[QUOTE=Tamerat688;5706919]
As for that whole no wheelchairs on the grounds that’s crap. [/QUOTE]
Its a dumbass policy and/or a lack of horsemanship(i trained my lasted mare by using food the 3rd picture)

[QUOTE=Tamerat688;5706919]And floater? What is that?[/QUOTE] A horse float [QUOTE=Tamerat688;5706919] Do you have any reading materials you could recommend on para equestrian sports?[/QUOTE]http://www.fei.org/Disciplines/Para-Equestrian

Great beliefs but what seen its who plays better kiss up…

What do you mean?

I have looked at the FEI webiste so much it is driving me nuts… i guess the deal Is I would be willing to travel anywhere to learn, work as a student, and ride if someone could just provide a room. Seriously, I would even pay for my own food… I would even move to New Zealand

[QUOTE=Tamerat688;5707048]
Great beliefs but what seen its who plays better kiss up…

What do you mean?[/QUOTE]
Para equestion is all about keeping your coaches(like the rest of special ed) on side.

Its a small sport

I ribbed the classifying psyio up the wrong way(and now says its better i learn to ride with 1 hand)whatever

The paradressage judge i dont no whats up there but i expect low scores

My cousin happends to be on the olympic team for dressage

[QUOTE=Tamerat688;5707053]
I have looked at the FEI webiste so much it is driving me nuts… i guess the deal Is I would be willing to travel anywhere to learn, work as a student, and ride if someone could just provide a room. Seriously, I would even pay for my own food… I would even move to New Zealand[/QUOTE]

Take you time paradressage has a mountain of rules

With me you’ll need to pay rent and get a job as I cant pay you

If you look at the top coaches, they are generally well-established trainers and/or competitors in their sport, who have branched out into working with para riders. Look for ways to build your own skills in riding and teaching, then specialize later. And don’t discount getting instructor training from a NARHA-approved course; it’s a good foundation and a good credential to have, even if you don’t find yourself working in a traditional therapeutic riding setting.

Thanks for all your help

Not to be rude, but didn’t you just post in another section that you have very little riding experience? That is going to make para-dressage coaching very difficult. There is also (as far as I know) no such thing as para jumping or eventing.

Start by riding yourself with a good trainer, try for a NARHA certification (NARHA is now called PATH, I think), or at least take some clinics from a certified instructor, and go from there. I worked in therapeutic riding for several years, and it takes a LOT of time to learn how to teach even less advanced movements and horsemanship skills while still remembering the riders’ physical challenges.

I do think that you’re determined and motivated, and that is a FABULOUS thing, I just think it might be good to slow down a little, find a trainer, and go from there. I know there was an article in either Dressage Today or Prac a while back (probably over a year) about a gal who does para-dressage, and I believe her coaches are in Florida… I can’t remember much about the specifics, but you might try asking around about that or looking through PATH for certified instructors in your area to learn from.