Unlimited access >

Working Student Questions (from eventing forum)

edited

Working Student (Europe from Australia) dec 2015 - Eventing

How do I do it

Questions :

What kind of trainer/rider should I look for?

How does one go about contacting such a person?
Of the people that I have researched so far I have not found many websites/contact details

Horses. Even if I did own my own horse in Australia it would not make sense to pay 20-30k to ship hypothetical horse to Europe (goal area). Do I need my own horse… Should I plan on finding one?

Any other information would be great. I have skimmed a few threads about working students but i would like some more info.

Thank you very much for reading. Any responses are greatly appreciated. Context below.

I have competed to Training (USA) level. I have schooled Prelim Cross Country and Stadium.

I live in Australia now and I do not have my own horse.

I do have experience working at barns during summer holidays. I do not keep in contact with my old trainers (2) so i would not be able to “prove” this. I turn 18 in May 2015 so I do have some time to get experience before I finish school which I can have proof of if need be.

****Thank you for the critique of my ‘about me’ I have made some changes now.
To clear two things up: Unpleasant was not relating to the work i did at the barn or the lessons but another aspect which i should not have mentioned.
I should not have used ‘barn slave’ because of the negative connotation. I completely enjoyed the times I was working and I volunteered to work at the barn every summer.

**** Between now and then, I will work on my word choice because I can see the difference in what i meant to say and how my message was interpreted on the other side.

I would try to polish your “About Me” a little more. The part about Texas looks a little immature, I would include the things you did but remove the “unpleasant” part and the “barn slave” part. And honestly, I would assume you would continue doing those unpleasant practices at your new place of work too. Also, it makes you look contradictory that you say later that you are “willing to work as much as I need to”. Did you make any connections here in the US, could your previous trainers connect you to someone in Europe?

I worked in Scotland and Ireland at eventing yards for one year each.

You will need to start riding more…a lot more. Find a way, make it happen. The working student positions in Europe will expect you to be able to ride multiple horses a day. A lot of these places do not want to train you from a beginner or intermediate rider. What level have you competed at, what is your current riding level?

Have you considered doing a year in Australia first? There are quite a few eventing barns there that are hiring. You would be closer to home and get the feel of what it will be like before crossing the ocean, you can get a bit more experience which will help you land a better position overseas.

Depending on the position, you might be given a horse to compete on.

Being in Australia….honestly give Heath and Rozzie Ryan a call. They are lovely people, flexible but you will work HARD. They don’t mind if you aren’t a super experienced rider they will teach you on the flat and over jumps.

If you can’t handle a few months there, then you won’t make it anywhere else in the world :slight_smile: Plus they would have contacts for you to go overseas.

“Being in Australia….honestly give Heath and Rozzie Ryan a call. They are lovely people, flexible but you will work HARD. They don’t mind if you aren’t a super experienced rider they will teach you on the flat and over jumps.”

Thank you for bringing that up. I did contact them earlier and they said I have to be 18 so I will definitely look into that.

I would also recommend the Ryans. Most of the top riders now have been with Heath at one time or another.

Friend of mine’s daughter is there now. You have to apply, send your resume, video, recommendations, etc. She is there on a one-month trial with 7 others. At the end of the month, everyone decides if it’s working or not. She’s having fun and working VERY hard!!!