Unlimited access >

Working Student Resume Help

I have been looking for working student positions and I would like to apply for one next year sometime, but I have no idea what kind of resume I should use. Should I just use a regular cover letter and resume with my riding goals and experience on it, or should I send them a video of me riding as well? If I send just a resume would it be unprofessional to link them to a youtube channel with videos of me riding? If they ask to see me riding should I send it over email, on a disk or use youtube? Should I put just my horse experience on my resume or should I put everything I can on it? Who should I use as references, only people who know me through riding or people who know me outside of that? Thanks.

When I was looking for working student positions, I would just send them a cover letter telling a bit about me and what I was looking for as well as my resume. Because I did the horse thing about 100 years ago, I literally sent them paper resumes. For you though, I would just email them. It definitely wouldn’t hurt to include a video in the email or link to a youtube channel. The more they know about you, the easier it is for them to know if you’ll fit in their program.

For references, use your current trainer or ones you’ve used before that you still have a good relationship with. Also, if you’ve had a horse job before, like cleaning stalls or whatever, include your boss as a reference. You could also include coworkers you’ve had that you think could work as solid character references. Don’t use any family members. When you send the resume, just put “references available upon request” at the end of it.

Thank you, that helps a lot.

Does what education you have matter on a resume for a working student position, or is it better to stick to just horse related stuff?