Unlimited access >

Working Students in Wellington: What's your experience?

Who did you work for and how was it?

Who specifically are you looking for information on?
I’m not sure about now, as this was 8+ years ago, but when I worked down there we signed NDAs on public or social media postings about our experience in exchange for a favorable reference. So you might not get much of a response with a broad question like this.

Wow, really?

I’m pretty sure I would take that as a good sign to turn and run the other way.

23 Likes

This is how trainers get away with abuse.

7 Likes

Eh, it was pretty normal. I worked two seasons and did it twice. Its not an NDA against speaking about them at all. If I wanted to tell someone ‘hey, don’t work for this person. They are crazy’ I can do that, but privately.
It may have been something more common back when social media use was crazy and WS were posting stuff they absolutely should not have been posting. It got some trainers and barns into some trouble, so a lot of them said ‘nope, no social media posts.’
I knew some people who posted photos, info, etc they absolutely should not have. It got a little ugly. I’m sure there’s some people on here that were down there during that time and remember what I am referring to.

1 Like

It’s not that kind of NDA.

Wasn’t clear from your post that the NDA was JUST about social media. Regardless, putting a legal document in front of a young person who most likely has no attorney to look it over, and make a good reference contingent upon it, is still coercive.

6 Likes

My daughter worked for three weeks with Missy Clark and John Brennan. This was twelve years ago when she was 15. She found it extremely beneficial and was honored that she was invited to come down. The work was hard and the hours were long, but she earned the right to show in the jumpers her 2nd week and the equitation the 3rd week.

I mean what kind of crazy stuff where they posting? This doesn’t say anything

Pessoa

Wouldn’t be surprised if the social media posting ban was largely in regards to protecting the clients. Could see the kerfuffle that would arise if big $$$ client suddenly came across their big $$$ horse acting like a turd on facebook.

4 Likes

Very professional. Should be a positive experience.

1 Like

It could also (just speculation) be images of underage drinking and partying and also adult partying, too. There was a great deal of negative publicity after a few horrific crashes involving people driving under the influence showing at WEF.

I don’t know anything about the scene, other than what I do see online, btw, but I remember that well enough. I also remember following some riders I liked on social media whose Instagram stories seemed to be nothing but shots of them in bars. I totally get they’re kids in their 20s, but not a great professional image.

NDAs signed by those I know, including assistant trainers, were pretty much like in most corporate environments. Anything that reflects negatively directly back on the business , embarrasses clients and/or invades their privacy

Social media contributions as a known employee that mention the employer, their clients and children, their horses, their riding experiences, their vet interactions, sales transactions and other things that are nobody’s business are unprofessional at best and hurtful at worst. Posting your own off duty bad behavior can turn off existing and future clients, theres lots of trainers looking for any opportunity to attract noobs or poach a fat wallet from another trainers clientele.

Its mostly just common sense. Yet some workers have no filters and post exactly these things, IMO and IME, so they can appear to be a real dirt dishing insider. Which ends with them being outsiders pretty quick. Think or do as you please but keep job related opinion or gossip off social media.

1 Like

This.
There was a whole discussion in the warm-up grand prix ring at WEC between professionals a few weeks ago about kids trying and videoing people trying horses at WEF and then posting on TikTok and the thread was just people (mostly kids) bashing the crap out of the horses (aka “oh I tried that one and it wouldn’t go to the first jump”
 or “oh when I had it in 2019 it jumped sooo much better”). That could really kill a sale and there’s no proof that horse did anything that people claimed or that it wasn’t pilot error vs horse’s negative reaction. Social media is great for certain aspects of reconnecting and staying connected, but it’s brutal for sales and marketing in certain forums.

3 Likes

yes I saw that too on Twitter. Not a good thing for anyone involved.

I would be livid if that was a horse of mine.

Its not always called an NDA, can be a Code of Conduct or be included in a contract. My employer just sent out a refresher on social media obligations forbthose wishing to stay employed.

Snotty kids are not covered.

1 Like

Personally this kind of a NDA wouldn’t bother me much especially as the TikTok example is absolutely dead on.

The bigger issue I have is the horse selling person who has EVERY interested buyer sign a NDA so they cannot say a thing about any horses they saw/tried and didn’t buy.

Em

1 Like

Seller may do whatever they want but we probably arent the only people who would not sign that to try a horse. Lots od horses for sale out there. Understand their thinking but think thats too much.

1 Like