Unlimited access >

Working trot definition

Surprising how one gets used to ideas and terms then apparently can’t remember how to explain or define said term.
I thought a working trot was defined as a trot in which the horse tracked up, and in which the poll is the highest point of the neck.
Some horses will be limited by their conformation so in those cases liveliness, engagement perhaps, but engagement will also depend on fitness and training level.
Please help me remember how to think about what a working trot is.

1 Like

I would say a working trot is when the hind end is actively engaged in propelling the body forward, rather than sort of dragging along behind the front end. There’s more spring in that movement and as a rider, you can feel that the horse has gone into another gear.

2 Likes

I learned it as the trot your horse gives you on the way home.

20 Likes

I like this! It’s forward, natural balance, impulsion. Not collected not sucked back nor racing and not extended. It’s a lot bigger than people sometimes think if they are used to mincy or sucked back trots.

6 Likes

Yes, and it feels like you and your horse could do it for miles!

5 Likes

“Working trot. This is a pace between the Collected and the Medium trot, in which a Horse’s
training is not yet developed enough and ready for collected movements. The Horse shows
proper balance and, remaining “on the bit”, goes forward with even, elastic steps and good
hock action. The expression “good hock action” underlines the importance of an impulsion
originating from the activity of the hindquarters.”

9 Likes

specifically this term, what does this look like? It is a subjective term, what does ‘good’ look like?

It’s dependent on the horse. It means they are tracking up and if their confirmation allows they are lifting. They aren’t strung out on the forehand or trailing their hocks or dragging toes.

Its the trot you’d do in a nice level path when you’re trying to get somewhere promptly without exhausting the horse. They can keep it up for miles if they are fit

4 Likes

In absolutes, not pronking along with no articulation in the hocks and not Standardbredding along where there may be articulation of the hocks, but there sure ain’t gonna be any softness or roundness through the neck and torso.

1 Like

Working trot is relaxed, balanced, and
“fleissig” = which means diligent, keen, eager, forward.

What’s seen in this video, enjoy:
www.tinyurl.com/3ye9n76y

7 Likes

May I take a moment to suggest one of my favorite books

The horse on the cover is an Irish Draught Sport Horse by Snow ford Bellman. The author is married to Minormannor (sp?) Who used to post on COTH

1 Like

That’s how I always explain it. No need to break down details of hock articulation, etc. Tracking up, absolutely, but beyond that keep it simple. I love the “trot on the way home.”

1 Like

For my current and a few past lovely nutjobs, the trot somewhere in the middle of a long hunter pace might be that trot. The way out is way too exciting, the way home is usually walk BECAUSE YOU NEED TO HAVE SOME DAMN MANNERS! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: But even then, the easiest trot for them is beyond working trot and more on the lines of an extended in terms of ground covering, but flatter with less carrying power, more pat the ground/just touch the ground like a skateboarder who already has plenty of momentum.

The more phlegmatic types - definitely the ‘way home trot’ if the way out trot was sufficiently animated.

2 Likes

The hocks bend. The toes don’t drag. The “forward” hind leg reaches well under the belly of the horse. The “hindward” hind leg does not extend far behind the tail and its cannon bone does not go much past perpendicular to the ground/ vertical before the hoof is raised off the ground. (in collected trot it absolutely does not go past vertical). You cannot see the bottom of the hoof if he is going away from you.

1 Like

Yea, I’d say the working trot is a function of the horse “going somewhere” in the trot. Pushing from behind, lifting a bit in front depending on the level, and going somewhere. Extra points for freedom in the shoulders and body

Every single horse who isn’t lame can manage a fine working trot for their breeding and conformation.

That’s what I grew up calling a “road trot”. Not sure if it’s related to what a carriage horse does, but by your description, i know exactly what you’re talking about!

1 Like