Unlimited access >

World Championships discussion

Really liked how Catherine rode primarily on the snaffle. So nice to see the curb not cranked/parallel to the ground (saw a Dutch rider also primarily using the snaffle) He’s got a tendency to get tight in the neck and she managed that well.

I really didn’t think the extended trot was a true extended trot though, but I feel that way about other “extended trots” that I see nowadays, but that’s a whole 'nother topic. Same with piaffe and the horse actually sitting (speaking generally here, not about a specific horse).

2 Likes

The issue this time wasn’t spooking she just said NOPE completely to the idea of doing piaffe. The rest of the test was quite good. But it was certainly a disaster in terms of the effect it had on her score. She ended up in last place with something in the very low 60s.

It’s worth watching on Clipmyhorse to hear Carl Hester’s commentary. He chalks it up to a lack of confidence in a big environment, and says for hot horses the piaffe can be quite scary. You create all that energy and it isn’t allowed to go anywhere, so for an already nervous horse it can just be too much in the moment.

10 Likes

Most of the piaffes either seemed to be totally horizontal or with the hind legs coming way too far under for the horse to balance. The really good ones stand out because they are so few and far between. A couple of the Lusitanos demonstrate precisely what the FEI rule book says a piaffe should look like, but their scores don’t reflect that.

8 Likes

Yeah Lottie Fry - 82.508% in the Special.

17 Likes

That was something, wasn’t it?

3 Likes

I know a lot of people don’t like the special and it seems impossibly hard. But is there anything more beautiful in dressage than those transitions around the outside of the arena when done seamlessly? I can’t imagine ever in my lifetime being able to ride like that.

4 Likes

Just watched this ride, knew they were a good pair but hadn’t seen a test previously. OMG what a lovely pair. fabulous ride, and the horse is stunning. She’s so quiet but effective, wow.
Ya know - that’s how I ride - in my fantasy moments, lol.

6 Likes

I was watching her hips/back/legs and my god. I don’t think mine could EVER absorb that much motion so seamlessly. What a beautiful pair.

7 Likes

Her abs and back in the extended walk!!! Mine don’t do that.

I saw in the H&H article she talked about what she thought happened and it was along those lines and also a strength issue at this time because of the horses big movement and level of training. Makes sense to me, those tests are not easy.

and Lottie is just such an inspiration. Watching her focus and how she breaths in her tests has actually helped me with my breathing in my tests. After seeing her ride at Tokyo I always think back to that.

1 Like

Apparently, it helps to be named “Charlotte”. Maybe that is where we should all start? LOL

22 Likes

I mean, my last name is made up, so why not my first as well?

3 Likes

I loved Escorial’s test in the special

1 Like

Wow, just wow…the air time in this horses canter…swoon!

1 Like

When the mare said NOPE to the piaffe, she also reared at one point, and did some turning/bouncing around which apparently got her marks for off course, along with the low scores on the movements. Tough ride, she has my sympathies.

I’m willing to try! Lottie just seems cool as a cucumber. Hard to look so still, quiet, and elegant on a horse with that much power and movement. They are literally a dream team.

5 Likes

Yes she has an unbelievable position on that horse! He can’t be anywhere as easy to sit as she makes him seem and she is oh so elegant up there! I am sure she was riding before she was born but still…

4 Likes

It was awesome to watch all of the competitors and it will be interesting to watch how some of these teams develop as we move towards 2024!

1 Like

That is what I thought. Horse is nicely collected but actually GOING somewhere.

1 Like

Her mother was the late Laura Fry who competed at the Barcelona Olympics along side Carl Hester (TeamGB
were 7th). Carl has always kept a close eye on his friend’s daughter and a younger Lottie worked for him for a bit. Then he arranged for her to move to The Netherlands to ride for his other friends, the Van Olsts and, as the say, the rest is history.

13 Likes